11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 9:56 AM by Peter Spier

PDFs not updating in CS6

tlcano

Hello-

We recently upgraded from CS4 to CS6. Several artists since then have informed me that their PDFs are not being updated if they make a change and then overwrite the existing PDF. Basically, we make changes to an ad in ID (it happened in Quark 8 before we switched to ID as well, however), and then export a PDF as a proof. If a change comes in, that change is made to the ID file, and then re-exported as a PDF. We keep only the most recent copy of the proof, so the new PDF proof is supposed to overwrite the existing one. Instead, the PDF reflects the original ad rather than the changes.

I wasn't sure where to post this. Again, it has only happened since we upgraded to CS6, and it doesn't seem to be dependent upon the layout program. I've noticed the problem when opening the file in Acrobat, but it of course shows the same issue if it is shown in preview, or just with a thumbnail view. I haven't noticed it on my machine, which is running Mountain Lion (though I admittedly don't make many PDFs myself), but I have seen it on machines running Snow Leopard and Lion.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

TLC

• 1. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've moved this question in to the InDesign forum where you'll probably get the best response.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
            tlcano Level 1

I'm sure it's not an ID issue, but I appreciate your help!

TLC

• 3. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You posted it in the Creative Suite Macintosh forum which doesn't get a lot of traffic. There are more knowledgeable users in this forum, and you said it had happened in InDesign (among other applications).

• 4. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
                tlcano Level 1

Ah, I didn't realize that it doesn't get much traffic. Then I definitely appreciate it!

• 5. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It really sounds like you aren't actually overwriting the PDF. I'd do a file search on the name and see if there are multiple copies.

• 6. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
                    tlcano Level 1

There aren't. In my case, the number of PDFs in the folder was very small (only about 6-10). I navigated to that folder, clicked Save, and was asked if I wanted to replace the existing PDF. I clicked OK, and the file was (I guess?) created. No errors, at least. But the data did not change.

• 7. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6

That sounds more like a network issue than ID.

Might I suggest saving with a new name each time?

• 8. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
                        tlcano Level 1

It is not always saved over a network (mine were done on my HD). Using a different name would be terribly inconvenient, given the number of files we're talking about. We don't have the sort of storage space for multiple versions, and there's the possibility that the wrong proof will be sent. It's frustrating how often the answer to an issue is that we should change our procedure. This has worked fine for years; changing our procedure because of a glitch doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I will continue looking into the problem, and advise my artists to change the file name for now.

• 9. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6

Now that Ithink about it some more there's another major change from CS4 to CS6 that could be tripping you up. PDF export became a background task in CS5 so you no longer need to wait for it to complete before you can return to work. However, that means there's a period of time during which the old PDF is still there, or in which a 0 byte placeholder file is created, and if you move too fast that might acount for the dicrepancy. Trying to access the file before completion also has negative consequnces, I think.

You can see the progress of the export, sort of, by looking at the little icon that appears up in the menu bar (it's a set of samll horizontal lines that scroll), or you can open the background tasks panel and get a real progress bar, but the easiest way to know if your file was successfully exported is to check the box in the export dialog to open it when it's done.

• 10. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6
                            tlcano Level 1

Yeah, I was thinking about the background tasks bar. I'll advise the artists to watch that and make sure the file is completely done before trying to access the file. However, we had this problem with Quark as well, and Quark does not have that function; the file is done when the progress window disappears. If we are waiting until that progress window disappears, and the problem is still cropping up, I don't think it can be because we accessed the file too soon. Definitely worth checking out, though. Thanks again!

• 11. Re: PDFs not updating in CS6

If it happens with Quark as well as ID, it seems more likely it's a system problem, such as network error if saving over the network, than an application issue.

Have you checked to be sure all the correct permissions are in place for the folders?