9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 4:02 PM by lasvideo

What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?

tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello all,

i am very interested in upgrading to cs6 PPRO,

however, the forums seem to be full of threads

about issues/problems resulting from the release

of cs6 and the subsequent updates...

• cuda issues (MPE has to be turned off)
      • white screen, locking up issues
      • registry issues
      • AME not completing exports

however, not everyone's systems are hurting...

there are reports of 'no problems here' using cs6

is it possible for 'successful users' of PPRO cs6

to post their computer specs and which version of PPRO cs6

they are using...

this might help isolate which computers/os/graphics card/ etc. are/are not having

success with the different releases of PPRO cs6...

i hope this thread helps all of us figure out what's going on

have a great day...

jeffrey

• 1. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
          lasvideo Level 4

I am running The following system with no problems using CS6.02, primarily PrP and AE

Windows 7 SP1

HP Z820 with fastest Xeons available

64GB ram

Nvidia GTX 570 Graphics card

Kona 3 to Panasonic BT-LW2600w montior

Dulce DQg2 16TB raid array

Performance on this system is spectacular!

• 2. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I'll make it easy for you.

Any properly spec'd, self-built Windows 7 machine has an outstanding chance of running CS6 without issue.

You take you chances with any store bought machines, particularly those that don't run Windows.

• 4. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
              tclark513 Level 3

lasvideo wrote:

I am running The following system with no problems using CS6.02, primarily PrP and AE

Windows 7 SP1

HP Z820 with fastest Xeons available

64GB ram

Nvidia GTX 570 Graphics card

Kona 3 to Panasonic BT-LW2600w montior

Dulce DQg2 16TB raid array

Performance on this system is spectacular!

This was after you changed your OS registry...correct?

6.0.2 has been causing issues for people who just update normally.

• 5. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
                tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello all,

re:  tclark513's statement about lasvideo having to do registry fixes:

if you were experiencing issues and then found a fix/workaround

and now you feel your system is stable under cs6

please let us know that, too...

thanks a bunch,

jeffrey

• 6. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
                  tclark513 Level 3

tfi productions 44 wrote:

hello all,

re:  tclark513's statement about lasvideo having to do registry fixes:

if you were experiencing issues and then found a fix/workaround

and now you feel your system is stable under cs6

please let us know that, too...

thanks a bunch,

jeffrey

Sep 6, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to zuccon123

OK I found the performance issue with 6.0.2 atleast so far that I am seeing are the Hyperthreading cores are not being utilized on Windows. I will list the registry changes below. Unfortunately these will not work on OSX.

I will also insert image so you can see the registry locations for each.

Type Regedit in the search. Go to the following location

HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Change the Large System Cache from 0 to 1. Right Click on Large System Cache and select Modify. Change Value data from 0 to 1 and hit ok.

System Cache.jpg

The Core parking requires searching for the Following Registry Key.

0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key by selecting Edit and then Find at the top:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system

CoreParking.jpg

So Far the Playback performance after those changes is back to normal.

Eric

ADK

PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND BACK UP WHAT YOU WANT TO KEEP.

• 7. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
                    lasvideo Level 4

Thanks to Eric who disovered something had changed in the Adobe Player. This change was most likely implemented give more power to the GPU,  is interpreted by Windows 7 in such a manner that it thinks the HT is not needed. I can attest to the fact that this fix gets all HT functionality back on my PC.

• 8. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I do not know what this fuss is all about, I daily use an old X58 based system with a 2 1/2 year old i7-980X  and if you look at the CS6 scores on Harm and my PPBM5 web site it is up there running with the top dogs (BillG)  I have made no registry changes and it is stock CS6.02.  It has been running overclocked at 4.2 GHz all the time (well I pushed it to 4.3 GHz for one test) and it has 24 GB of RAM and has an Areca ARC-1880ix-16 with two hard disk arrays.and no SSD's

• 9. Re: What systems are successfully using PPRO 6.02 please?
                        lasvideo Level 4

Bill I think you are missing the point here. The "fuss" is about the loss of HT on new motherboards from Intel and HP (Sandy Bridge EP I believe) when running Prp CS6 with a CUDA graphics card.. Folks with older mobos dont experience this loss. According to Eric...

I think I have an idea what is going on now. It seems the new update has significantly optimized the Cuda block allocation going on in the background. When I was testing at 16GB of ram I saw far more fluctuation of ram usage going as low as 4GB on the same project that normally pushes 10 to 13GB with all threads active. When all threads are active the ram usage is staying relatively consistent at 8 to 11GB with far less flushing. However with far more ram available it seems the optimizations are triggering some Windows 7 ACPI Power management features that are shutting down cores as not needed even though the actual application really could use the processing to complete the task. Each system board has different ACPI sets that will adjust what Windows 7 does, how, and when regarding power management. This would explain why this is not consistent. This unfortunately is looking like a side effect of optimizations to the Cuda Player Memory allocation and not a bug. Lasvideo you may have to make those registry adjustments after all since this may not be fixable on Adobe's side.

Im sure glad that someone was not only able to spot this loss of performance on newer machines, but come up with a way to fix it. For those of use experiencing this loss of HT,  and others considering buying one of these new systems the fix is a real big deal.