7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 8:22 AM by lbsimpson

Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6

lbsimpson Level 1

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some strange rednering behavior.  It started in a large PPro project that was experiencing another frequent issue, source monitor freezing, but the has carried over to a new, basic project recently started.

Whether I select 'Render Effects' or 'Render Entire' I get the same result.  The render begins and seems to proceed as normal, but if I watch closely, the percent complete starts to bounce back and forth, even boucning between tenths and hundreths of a point.  The total number of previews beign rendered also steadily grows as the render progresses.  When the precentage reaches the end, 90% plus, the bouncing back and forth between values seems to increase in frequency.  I decided to leave one project rendering overnight and it was still incomplete when I returned ten hours later. 

When one of these renders is canceled, the entire work area remains unrendered in the timeline with a yellow or red bar.  Even if a render is cancelled while still underway, the portions of the work area which were completed should appear as successfully rendered in the timeline. 

The render pictured below, was 'Render all Effects in Work Area', rendering color correction and dissolves. 

render_error.jpg

My media cache and scratch disk location was almost full prior to the render I performed today, so I went in and cleaned up both locations before beginining the render.  Alas, that did not change the end render result.  I have 'never-ending' render running right now...

As a work around to the issue, I have just been exporting the 'final' product to allow me to review it thoroughly without an lag or stutter due to lack of rendering.

The media in both projects where I have experienced this issue have ranged from Ikegami MXF to P2 and XDCAM EX.  All the media in the current project, pictured above, is XDCAM EX sitting on an internal SSD.

Here all of my system specs.  Let me know if you require any other information

Adobe Premiere Pro Version 6.0.1

Total Code for Adobe Premiere Pro Version 6.0.2

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

CPU Intel(R) Xeon (R) CPU X5647 @ 2.93 GHz (2processors)

Memory: 24 GB Installed RAM

NVidia Quadro 4000

Thoughts anyone?

Linday

• 1. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Forget the percentages.  What do the frames show?

• 2. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
            lbsimpson Level 1

The number of frames grows throughout the render, though it doesn't appear to bounce like the percentage.  Successful renders have always started with a number of preview frames that remains frixed, if my memory serves me correctly.

• 3. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You mean the second number gets bigger?  The y in the x of  y frames?  That ain't normal.

• 4. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
                lbsimpson Level 1

Yes.  The second number gets bigger for both the 'Rendering of X of Y Video Previews' AND the 'Rendering Frame X of Y'.  I haven't had a render reach completion in any project for the last two weeks, but based on some tight deadlines I've had to push the issue aside.  To allow the product to be reviewed I have been exporting to a QT file.

Given your surprise and lack of comment on what might be causing the issue...hmm what to do next?

Thanks for your feedback Jim.

Lindsay

• 5. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You can try uploading the problem project with some of the media (don't need to include all of it).  I'll try rendering here on my end.  If it works, then it's a system issue.  If it doesn't work, then it's a project corruption.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

• 6. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
                    lbsimpson Level 1

Jim, I have sent you a private message with some information about providing hte project and media to you.  Please check there.  I have uploaded the files to a shared Dropbox folder, just waiting to invite you, as I can not access the link you provided at my work place.

Now, a bit of background info.  The system specs listed at the start of this thread are for a brand new workstation which was custom built in house.  At this point I have produced three projects on it in CS6. 

The first project made it to completion with no problems and normal, successful renders.  The 2nd project was expansion of a project first created in CS5.  I started by 'Saving As' the original CS5 project to a new CS6 project and began my work.  This project was way too large and I experienced issues with rogue media sitting on a network drive which caused many crashes due to source monitor freezes.  After finsihing a rough cut I was able to 'Remove Media' and trim the project down to media only sitting on internal SSDs.  This solved the source monitor freeze/crash issue, but when I went to render the timeline, voila! the new, neverending renders began!  This is the project I refer to which was on a tight deadline, so I ended up avoiding the render problem and went straight to a QT export to allow clients to review at various stages.

I then began my 3rd project on this new workstation, which was signigicantly smaller than the 2nd, and composed of only one media type rather than 3+ of the 2nd project.  Prior to starting this project, I cleaned the Media Cache Database and all the .pek/.cfa files as the previous project had just about maxed out my Scratch storage space.  After color correcting the final edit of the 3rd project, I went to render and experienced the same never-ending issue as I did starting with the 2nd project.  I attempted both 'Render Entire Work Area' and 'Render Effects in Work Area' in both the 2nd and 3rd projects.  I have also attempted to shortening the work area prior to rendering with no luck.  The render never reaches completion even when left rendering overnight. 

Since this issue has arisen in two different projects now...I have to lean towards a system issue as you suggest.  But given that the first project completed on this new system experienced no render issue this leads me to begin questioning where things went wrong...I did install Avid Codecs LE 2.3.2 before beginning the 2nd project.   Other than that nothing else has changed, and the avid codecs are essential to incorporating media originally transcoded into our old Avid system, which we are phasing out.

As I write this, I decided to go back to the 1st project created on the new system and attempt a render...and so far I am now seeing the never-ending render behavior...bummer. 

Jim or anyone else, have thoughts as to what might have sparked this problem?

I'm thankful there is a work around so I may continue to work in the mean time, but regardless it will be important to get renders working properly again.

Please feel free to ask any questions or for any additional information which might help pin point the source of the ominous never-ending render...

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 7. Re: Strange, Neverending Render Behavior in PProCS6
                      lbsimpson Level 1

Mystery solved!  Of course, after going through the trouble of un-installing/re-installing the entire Adobe suite which proved to be of no consequence. 

It all comes down to the third-party plug-in Rovi Total Code for Adobe Premiere Pro.  I am currently using version 6.0.2.  The plug-in is required to proeprly package our Ikegami MXF media as one clip with audio and video when improted into PPro.  Any sequence based on a Rovi Total Code preset will not render sucessfully and attempts to render to infinity.

To create a sequence for a new project, I always determine which media type within the project will be dominant and then drag a clip of that type to the 'New Item' icon in the project window to create a sequence which should match the source clip.  It seems with Total Code in the mix, any sequence created by this drag/drop method resulted in a Total Code preset based sequence, which in theory should not be a problem, but is in reality.  Below are a few screen shots which add support to this description.

TotalCode_Sequence.jpg

Above are the sequence settings for a Rovi Total Code sequence created by a drag and drop of JVC HD media, which is structured the same as XDCAM EX media.

TotalCode_SequenceRender.jpg

Above is a screen shot of a render of this Total Code sequence which is featured in the top of the image.  The number of X of Y frames grows continously and the render will never reach an end point, but will eventually fill all available space on the Scratch disk.

XDCAMEX_SequenceRender.jpg

Above is the render of the same video which was copied into a sequence created with an XDCAM EX sequence preset.  The number of frames to be rendered remains fixed and the render reaches completion as it should.  You can even note that the sequence updates with the green 'render complete' line as the render progresses.

TotalCode_settings.jpg

Above are the import settings that are currently activated for the Total Code plug-in.

I have tested the drag/drop 'New Item' sequence creation method for our three main media types: XDCAM EX (JVC), P2 MXF, and IKegami MXF.  All result in a Total Code preset based sequence which will not render.  I will avoid using that method for sequence creation to avoid the issue.  I also plan ot inform Total Code of the bug in their package. Unless, Adobe, you think it is on your end?

Thanks to all who took a glance at this issue and to Jim Simon for his efforts to troubleshoot.

Lindsay