1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:14 AM by Peter Spier

How do I create dynamic text?

WPCC

I am merging in a file to an InDesign document and the merge field will have a column like:

Number of Policies:

I'd like to bring in Number of Policies as a variables, where if the number of policies is 1, my text will say "The coverage period for your policy has concluded", whereas if the number of policies is >1 the text says "The coverage period for your policies have concluded."  Is this possible?  I know that I can update my merge file to have one column that spells out policy vs. policies, one column that spells out has vs. have, but this is not an extensible solution.

Any ideas?  Thank you!

• 1. Re: How do I create dynamic text?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In your spread sheet add a column with an If/Then/Else function, such that If column x = 1, Then the contents of this cell = your policy has expired, Else the contents of this cell = your policies have expired. Use that column in the data merge.

Data Merge itself is not capable of any sort of processing beyond retrieving an image when given a path name so you need to do any sort of data manipulation in the source itself.