4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 2:10 PM by groove25

Default export settings

camelbreath Level 1

Fireworks CS6 / Windows 7 / 64 bit

Casveat: I am a novice in Fireworks

Every time I export a file the export dialog box defaults to gif. I do not use a lot of gif files so I  have select another file type on virtually every export. Is there a way to set preferences on the export dialog box?

Thanks for any help from those who are more knowledgeable than me,

• 1. Re: Default export settings
          groove25 Level 4

That's interesting. I find Fireworks' Optimize/Image Preview settings to be “sticky”—that is, the settings of the last saved file or the last opened file are remembered for the next new file. So there is no default, per se, but if you save a file, its optimization settings will also be saved. And those settings will carry over into the next new file that you create.

I think that's what's happening, anyway.

I'm using Fireworks CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

• 2. Re: Default export settings
            camelbreath Level 1

Thanks for the response Groove. To tell the truth, I was laboring under the same apparent delusion. I am all about speed, using keyboard shortcuts where possible, inventing shortcuts where none exist, etc., so you can imagine my frustration at having to slow down and move the cursor when I don't think I should have to.  Maybe it works on a Mac, but not a PC.

My procedure is to drag a pre-sized photoshop image into FW. Do what I'm going to do with it, do the keyboard shortcut for export, (Control>shift>x) and the export dialog box jumps up with the gif settings. Export the image, usually as a jpg, to whatever site image folder I am working on, close the image file and save as a png in a resource folder. Am I following a flawed procedure>?

Thanks again,

• 3. Re: Default export settings
              groove25 Level 4

Not sure what you mean by "drag"... I do find the Export settings somewhat responsive to the original file type, so that a JPEG being opened in Fireworks will tend to default to a JPEG Export setting. (Are you opening JPEGs, GIFs, or something else?)

But going back to my previous comment, it might be helpful to Save the file after exporting to "lock in" a preferred setting for the next file. On the other hand, I think that exporting should also serve to "lock in" a preferred setting, without the need to save. So I'm not sure about this.

I did notice this: In the user library Application Support folder for Fireworks CS6, there's a folder called Export Settings that includes a text file called "last-settings" that apparently does nothing but record the last settings used in the Optimize/Image Preview panel. Again, I think that either saving or exporting a file should trigger a rewriting of this file's contents.

Export Settings.png

• 4. Re: Default export settings
                groove25 Level 4

This just reiterates what I've already suggested regarding "sticky" Optimization settings, but it's nice to see it in print:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/WS4c25cfbb1410b0021e63e3d1152b00d6af-7ff9.h tml#WS4c25cfbb1410b0021e63e3d1152b00d6af-7fdf

Note that the remembered settings will be applied to new documents. It doesn't really specify what happens when opening a pre-existing, non-Fireworks document, such as a JPEG. (Presumably this might depend in part on the application that originally created the file.)