2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 9:33 AM by Shawnna2011

Photoshop CS4 keeps resetting to factory default, deleting brushes...

Shawnna2011 Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a pretty maddening problem.  Twice now, upon a restart of my computer, Photoshop has reset to factory settings, and deleted all my custom brushes I've made since a particular point in time.  I've had to remake some brushes for my digital art course twice, and now I'll have to do it a third time.  This is EXTREMELY DISTRESSING...  This started happening only recently.  I can only guess perhaps an update to Windows or something has really jerked up my Photoshop, not sure.  I would really be eternally grateful if someone could help.  Thank you very much everyone.

Shawnna B

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS4 keeps resetting to factory default, deleting brushes...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's either

a) a genuine file permission problem, where the prefs are never written to disk

b) a similar problem, where security tools block operations

c) a user privilege issue where you do not have the permission to store things in certain locations and/or files get erased when you log off (default for guest users for instance)

Whichever applies, the fix is most likely some generic Windows setting rather than anything Adobe can do for you. Check all the aforementioend points.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS4 keeps resetting to factory default, deleting brushes...
            Shawnna2011 Level 1

Thank you, Mylenium!

This did start happening after a Windows update..  -sigh  This is why I usually refrain from updating Windows as often as I can get away with >_<;;;;.  I can check all these settings, but Im not sure I understand enough about Windows itself to mess with them?  Is there any specific instructions on adjusting the preferences settings?  Sorry, Im not very tech savvy when it comes to the innards of operating systems. <--is just an arter 

Thank you again, I sure appreciate it very much!

Shawnna