24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 3:55 PM by Roei Tzoref

Mask Issue

420jammer Level 1

I created some masks from letters.  When I paste these on a solid layer, they come out the original size and are fine.  Whenever I place them over a .jpg, however, they shrink smaller.  This would not be a problem, except that re-sizing masks is annoying.  I'm also curious to figure out why they are shrinking?

• 1. Re: Mask Issue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mask data is relative to the layer. If the layer sizes are different, then so will be your masks. And things like using scaling will of course also affect the mask. Pre-compose your stuff so it has the same size.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Mask Issue
            420jammer Level 1

Okay, that makes sense that mask data is relative to the layer it is pasted on. 

However, I'm not sure I understand the workflow you are suggesting, would it be possible to elaborate?

Also, since the .jpg is much larger than the comp, why wouldn't the masks be larger? I guess I'm not sure I really get what's going on still.

• 3. Re: Mask Issue
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your workflow was to create a text layer, then use Layer>Create Masks from Text, then select the masks in the timeline and paste the mask a jpeg that has been scaled then the masks will also be scaled to match the scale of the layer. Change he layer scale back to 100% and reset the position to comp center and the masks should be exactly the same size and in the same place.

The only way to mask a layer and keep he mask size and position the same size and in the same position in the composition is to use the mask as a track matte for the layer. You do this by placing your text above your jpg and then selecting Alpha Matte from the Track Matte options in the Modes column in the Timeline.

If you want the mask size to match a scaled layer then you must pre-compose the layer by selecting it then go to Layer>Pre-Compose (keyboard shortcut is Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd +C) and select Move All Attributes to the new composition. Now the pre-composition will be the at 100% scale so when you paste a mask it will be the  same size and in the same position as it was when you copied it from the original layer.

• 4. Re: Mask Issue
                420jammer Level 1

Thank you, this makes everything very clear to me.

• 5. Re: Mask Issue
                  Arborglyph

I'm having an issue where i make a new text layer, then add a new mask and the mask is HUGE. WAY bigger than even the size of the sequence. Any Idea what's causing that? It just started. Last time I make the masks they were perfectly the same size as the type.

-M

• 6. Re: Mask Issue
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

if you create a mask with the rectangle tool by clicking twice

then it will be at the boundaries of the text layer. but this could be tricky because a text layer is actually an element inside an after effects layer (same as shapes). this means that if you scale the text with the scale parameter, you are actually scaling the layer. and if you apply a mask by clicking twice on the rectangle tool, you could end up with this

because of this reason and others you would want to use, as Rick here wrote in his post, a Track matte. this gives you the ability to control the mask seperately from the layer

• 7. Re: Mask Issue
                      Arborglyph Level 1

Interesting. I'm using the New Mask menu option/short cut. What I want is the mask to be the exact size of the text. What I'm getting is what you have screen caped.

I'm new to AE. The first couple of times I added a mask, it was right, cropped tight to the type. Now it's WAY big.

-M

• 8. Re: Mask Issue

well what do you know . a new short cut? is it really new? it appears you are correct. making a text layer and clicking ctrl+shift+n does apply a mask on the layer respecting it's bounding box. what version are you using exactly?

• 9. Re: Mask Issue
                          Arborglyph Level 1

Updated this morning.

Funny how a newb can illuminate a new trick whilst, and at the same time, having little to no idea what he's doing...

Thanks for the help, I still don't think I'm getting that effect properly though. I'm sure it's one of those things that will resolve itself as I get to know the program better.

pM

• 10. Re: Mask Issue

I checked. it's not new I never used it but really when thinking about it I can't see situations where I will need the mask to be exactly at the bounding box of my layer because most of my masks are with Alpha Mattes.

try this workflow in exact steps:

1. with the text tool (Shortcut - Ctrl/Cmd + T) write your text

2. make as large as you want with the scale parameter

3.Ctrl+Shift+N

does this work?

• 11. Re: Mask Issue
                              Arborglyph Level 1

Yes, but I think the issue is somehow the box around my text is REALLY huge for some reason.

Screenshot 2016-08-11 15.12.50.png

• 12. Re: Mask Issue

please show me Composition and Timeline window. and press UU on all the layers.

• 13. Re: Mask Issue
                                  Arborglyph Level 1

You know, I think it's the Font. Veneer. For some reason, when I put in a veneer type layer the bounding bog is really big. Other fonts, no problem...

If I start with another font, and switch to Veneer, it goes big, and if I change it back it shrinks down.

Weird.

Thanks for your help though!

-M

• 14. Re: Mask Issue

I could test it out in my system. can you send it to me for the test?

• 16. Re: Mask Issue

thank you, it works just fine

show me your screen with the mask and the layer. because this:

Screenshot 2016-08-11 15.12.50.png

is not the same thing. we don't see a mask here and it's now clear what is selected.

• 17. Re: Mask Issue
                                        Arborglyph Level 1

Screenshot 2016-08-11 21.25.05.png

• 18. Re: Mask Issue

thank you. can you please type UU and send another? this is mine

BTW all geekiness aside (me trying to find why this behavior is different) why do you want a mask around your layer? I am using this software for a very long time and this is very simple to just drag the rectangle around it and no need to be that exact with the layer, or even create a mask on the layer itself

• 19. Re: Mask Issue
                                            Arborglyph Level 1

Where do I type UU?

The mask is for a drop in text effect. Where the type drops in from above and is exposed by the mask. If the mask is automatically the same dimensions of the text it saves time in creating the effect.

-M

• 20. Re: Mask Issue

Where do I type UU?

click on the layer and type UU to reveal all the modified properties. but I think I see what your problem is

The mask is for a drop in text effect.

like I said before - you almost never use the mask on the text itself. text is a layer inside a layer really. when you add a text effect you are actually making your layer bigger so the mask is for all that happens in the text effect. this is a mask with CTRL+SHIFT+N

if you want your mask to be on a text layer with a text effect, you can do this manually with the rectangle tool or  use a track matte for you mask - separate the mask from the layer.

you can make refinements later if you want and narrow it down to fit exactly.

• 21. Re: Mask Issue
                                                Arborglyph Level 1

One click vs a lot of clicks. Doing the mask on the text layer is way easier and accomplishes exactly what I want. There's just some kind of bug with that one font.

Here's a screen shot with all the properties. Notice how the OTHER FONT layer has more properties. Not sure why, all I did was type it in there. Also, the VENEER red bounding box stays visible even when the type layer isn't selected. What is that?

Screenshot 2016-08-12 11.13.27.png

-M

• 22. Re: Mask Issue

One click vs a lot of clicks. Doing the mask on the text layer is way easier and accomplishes exactly what I want.

o.k I will play along

Here's a screen shot with all the properties. Notice how the OTHER FONT layer has more properties. Not sure why, all I did was type it in there.

did you type UU like I asked or did you instead twirl down the triangles manually? "No Such Thing Bad Student, Only Bad Teacher." (Mr. Miyagi) - but you are NOT paying attention!

Also, the VENEER red bounding box stays visible even when the type layer isn't selected. What is that?

are there only 2 layers in your composition?

also - where is the mask? did you remove it? send me your project file with the bad mask on the layer and we will get to the bottom of this.

• 23. Re: Mask Issue
                                                    Arborglyph Level 1

I did the uu. I thought it wasn't doing anything at first.

Here is the project:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12728142/Untitled%20Project.aep

-M

• 24. Re: Mask Issue

I did the uu. I thought it wasn't doing anything at first.

UU reveals the modified properties. if nothing was modified - it won't do anything.

o.k seems like you are on to something here. faux bold changes the internal boundaries of a certain text layer - in this case your veneer font

turn it off and you are fine. I don't see this happening with other fonts.

now you owe me you have to do some basic training, going intuitive like that in Ae is crazy. you are always going to get stuck.

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC) | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

After Effects CC tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects CC