7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 8:30 AM by the_wine_snob

backwards compatibility in CS6

Glad Level 1

If I upgrade to CS6, can I continue to work on projects begun in CS4?

thanks

David

• 1. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
          josephs51576386 Level 3

Yes you can open up old projects without issue. However if you work on a project in premiere cs6 you cannot open that project up in older versions, you can only open up older projects in the newer versions. So for example if you had a cs4 project you can open it with cs6. However you couldn't then take something you worked on in cs6 and open it up in cs4.

• 2. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
            Glad Level 1

Good news.  And fast, thanks. Is there a known project size limit for stability in CS6? (I have usually had major problems with projects over about 50 MB in size. I have that problem now in CS4 and hope an upgrade will solve it.)

thanks.

• 3. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
              josephs51576386 Level 3

Truthfully since I have started using cs6 none of my projects have ever been anywhere near that big, so I don't know. However my timelines are generally anywhere from 22mins to just under 1 hour. Since I generally only edit TV shows and sometimes short commercials. I also only generally title stuff in premiere and do light CC, if I need any animation I always use AE, and if I need graphics I use photoshop. I know a lot of people that try to animate in premiere and also create graphics, which I'm aware you can do and sometimes I do it, I just prefer the results I get from AE and photoshop when it comes to creating nice graphics/animations. However AE can't touch premiere for cutting/titling. But then again that's how it's intended.

The other thing I've always done is if I have more than 3-4 seqeunces with 3-4 completed shows inside one project file I then click save-as and clear all the old raw footage out of the bin and sequences and leave the lower-thirds/stills/open's/closes/voiceovers/bumps/music/promos inside the project bin. Then import my footage and name the project a new program number series 100-103 etc...

• 4. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
                Glad Level 1

I have been trying this.  The Mpeg clips are recognized in the transferred project on this new machine, but not the AVIs.  I thought maybe it was a codec issue, but WMP can play them. When I do a "replace footage" anyway to the right clips (which have the same path on this new computer - moved the original project drive over - so should not require that) I get "The selected file does not contain video media used by clip references in one or more sequences. These clip references will be deleted, and cannot be undone. Do you still want to proceed?" If I say OK, the clips only carry audio information.  I'm sure it's just something simple, but I can't figure it out.

• 5. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

You are going to need to check what codec the .avi container is holding inside of it, because the fact WMP plays it doesn't really mean much.  There are file types that WMP can play that Premiere Pro cannot. Please check the type of codec and post the info here, this way we can establish if it's supposed to be a supported codec or not. Then we can work at troubleshooting from there.

I'd recommend using media info to check the codec info

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

I recommend looking at it's stats by setting the view to "list". Once you post this info we can try to figure out exactly what is going on.

• 6. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
                    Glad Level 1

Ah.Thanks CN25.  I guess that explains it. This is a new setup with few codecs installed yet.  And the codec is cinepak by radius (of all things - I tested a few on the last machine and that was the most useable for intermediates).  Next step is to load that then, because they were created by ME and played fine in PP CS4.

• 7. Re: backwards compatibility in CS6
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

And the codec is cinepak by radius (of all things - I tested a few on the last machine and that was the most useable for intermediates).

Wow, that IS an oldie. My guess would be that someone did not pay attention, when they did an Export at some place, and as Cinepak by Radius is often the first CODEC to show up, just went with that, without thinking, or without knowing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you have a good start with a machine that is clean, regarding CODEC's. I strongly recommend that one ONLY add CODEC's, as needed, and they try to go to the source for those, and NOT install ANY CODEC "packs."