4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 12:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 > Glossary > S > scrubbing

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e82db6910417c04144-7f4 f.html

Message title was edited by: Brett N

• 1. Re:  scrubbing
          Shelby Buschmann

what exactly is scrubbing?

• 2. Re:  scrubbing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

"Scrubbing" is moving the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead w/ the red "Edit Line") manually along the Timeline, rather than by hitting the Spacebar to play the Timeline at normal speed.

Depending on the version of Premiere, such as Premiere Elements, or Premiere Pro, there can be other buttons on a Monitor Panel, that allow one to Scrub, or Jog.

A second use of the word "Scrub" is with some parameter setting boxes, one can either enter a numeric value, or can click+drag in that box, to change the numeric setting.

Hunt

• 3. Re:  scrubbing
              Brett N Adobe Employee

From the Urban Dictionary:

"If you're old enough to remember reel-to-reel tape decks, then you may fondly remember scrubbing. Scrubbing is the process of moving quickly forward or backward through a song as it plays. Whether you remember reel-to-reel tape decks or not, you can scrub songs in iTunes.

Most times you'll want to listen to a song from start to finish, but if you want to locate and listen to a particular section, you can do it with the help of the little diamond location marker in the iTunes display."

While the song is playing, grab and hold the diamond pointer in the iTunes display and move it to the left or right to scrub through the song. The sound will be similar to rapidly flipping through a radio dial. Release the pointer to continue playing the song from the current point."

TL;DR

Scrubbing is the process of moving quickly forward or backward through a song as it plays.

You can do it on any media player - your iPod/iPhone, iTunes, Windows Media Player....whatever it is you use.

I have visual voicemail on my iPhone, where I can see your message as an audio track that I can scrub though.

You can also think of it like this: when you do the Click+Drag movement you are "scrubbing" your mouse pad with your mouse.

• 4. Re:  scrubbing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh Brett,

I not only remember reel-to-reel, I still own one.

I also did manual scrubbing (Audio & Visual), with my Moviola 8-plate flatbed editing console. We could do a bit of it, with the sync block and hand rewinds, but not so easy - you just cranked faster...

Thank for that quoted material.

Appreciated,

Hunt