9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 10:59 AM by Andymc7

Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??

Andymc7 Level 1

Ok something weird is going on here...

I've imported a simple .obj file with a few beveled faces into my PS doc and then created a simple 3d postcard layer. When I merged the two 3D layers, (.obj file layer is top layer) PS seems to have removed some of the faces in my places .obj file.. ?? What possibly could be happening?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

(Win7 PS CS5 Extended)

• 1. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't think it removed anything, but merging will recalculate and normalize the bounding box info which may in turn affect clipping and shading calculations, especially if things were imported at hugely different scales. Try moving the camera around or playing with the render modes. It may come back magically...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
            Andymc7 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response!

Hm.. interesting Mylenium. It's strange, I have been playing around with it and it seems that my bevels are still there when I'm in mesh selection mode, because they're edges show up, but there's no definition there at all when I'm moving the mesh or camera around. I'll keep trying, thanks.

• 3. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
              Joprysko Level 3

If you merge 2 3d objects they will become one flat image.

• 4. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                Andymc7 Level 1

Let me go ahead and try to briefly explain what I'm trying to do:

- I'm building a digitial kitchen room setting, combining 2D and 3D elements.

- I'm first using the Vanishing Point filter to actually build my walls, ceiling and floor by creating a plane from one of the 2D pieces of furniture, then Ctrl-dragging out the rest of the planes to match that piece's perspective, thus creating the room

- my .obj file is actually a waynescoating type baseboard I modeled in Maya, then imported into PS

- Obviously, I want the baseboard to match the perspective of the room, so I create a 3D layer from Vanishing Point from one of the planes (a wall), then merge that layer with the baseboard layer (I've discovered the baseboard layer must be the top layer), because that allows the baseboard to take on the same perspective of the plane. (Hope I'm not confusing you at this point. lol)

- So, after seemingly succeeding finally with getting the perspective of the baseboard to match my room, my beveling in the baseboard totally disappers after merging with the 3D plane.

and, as I imagined, that wasn't so brief explaining that, sorry.

• 5. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                  Andymc7 Level 1

Hm, Joprysko, that doesn't seem to be true for me. I've merged 3D layers multiple times and they're polygons have always stayed intact, never flattening or disappearing, as in this case today.

• 6. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                    Andymc7 Level 1

Here's the baseboard .obj file opened in PS by itself:

baseboard.jpg

Here's what happens after merging it down with the wall plane created with VP:

room.jpg

• 7. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                      Joprysko Level 3

I think i have your meaning, but its difficult to decifer exactly what you are doing with out seeing.

Here is my guess on whats happening.

As I said, once you merge 3d images you flatten the the objects into 2d so any of the shaders that would be on the object would have gone away.

If you do not need to merge the 3d objects I would leave them alone.

The only way I know to avoid that would be is if you edit the defuse layer and manualy add the shading.

• 8. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                        Joprysko Level 3

OK I see what you are doing your merging the 3d layers,  problem is that when you merge 3d layers like that, it places the top layer inside the bottom layer as a defused layer, it does not link them together like you where hoping.Photoshop has very limited 3d capability. It also kills all the lighting on the original 3d object.

• 9. Re: Merging 3D Layers Changes Mesh..??
                          Andymc7 Level 1

Ahh, hm, didn't know that. Well I've found with playing around with changing the render settings as Mylenium eluded to, it starts to bring back the beveling and lighting. It's just a lot of trial and error at this point it seems. But thanks!