6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2012 6:17 PM by Steven L. Gotz

A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)

David Zeno Level 1

Hi everyone,

Hopefully a good question I am about to ask.  I have 2 clips, and wish to use an image as the transition between those 2 clips.  I've seen this sometimes

on TV, where you'll see a clip playing, then a graphic is used - like a side swipe for example, coming in from the left, a graphic slides in from the left, passes

through the middle of the screen, and exits on the right, as it exits, the 2nd clip is now playing.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this ?  I thought perhaps there would be a canned video transition available, but none of them allow me to

add an image to any of those effects ( for example in "slide" category under "Slide" in the video transition effect panel.

Thanks for your time !

Dave.

• 1. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have done this before.

Basically, you use a wipe to transition between the two videos, then on top of that you use the Motion Effect to move a video, or a still, or a graphic across the screen. I will put a sample up in a few minutes.

• 2. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uncheck Pin to Clip so you are able to keyframe beyond the edges.

transition with graphic.png

pin to clip.png

• 3. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ann is correct, it is easier when you unpin it. With a wider graphic, like the photograph I used in my example, it wasn't necessary. If the graphic is as thin as hers, you just have to be a little more careful to keep them in sync.

In this example, I just used a wipe, then I put a photo on top of it, started off to the left, and ended up off to the right.  Easy enough once you have done it once.

• 4. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
                David Zeno Level 1

Hi Steven, and Ann,

Thanks very much for your help.  Sounds great !  I've been out all day, and all evening, and just getting to read

the replies now.  I will try this tomorrow, as it's late and I'm heading to bed.

Great to know there is a way to do this.  I scratched my head as to how to accomplish this, and couldn't think of a way.

Thank you, I'll try it tomorrow and will post back with results.

It's great to have a community like this.

Thanks to both of you,

Dave.

• 5. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
                  David Zeno Level 1

Hi again,

I've tried this technique today, and it works !  I am finding it a bit difficult to keep the graphic moving at the same speed as the transition, ( I have to really tweak it to get it running at the same speed as the "wipe" transition ) but other than that, it works very well.

"Pin To Clip" I don't understand this at all, I clipped and unclipped my graphic and don't see any difference at all, what am I supposed to be seeing if I do this correctly ?

Thanks very much for all your help again :-)

Dave.

• 6. Re: A transition using an image (slide an image across the screen)
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

When you unpin it, you can go past the beginning and the end of the clip in the Effect Controls Panel.

As for getting them to run at the same speed, consider this...

You have to wait to start the wipe until the graphic is in the frame and you have to end the wipe before the graphic leaves the frame.

So, figure out the exact middle, and work both forwards and backwards from there. To find the middle of the wipe should be easy, it is generally right at the cut. And finding the middle of the graphic should be easy because it usuaaly starts there.  So force a keyframe at that point by clicking on the diamond.

As I write this I realize you need to know where the center of the graphic is so that you can start the wipe when exactly half of the graphic is on screen and end it when exactly half is off screen. So start with the middle, then go to the beginning of the wipe and make sure that the graphic is half on and half off on the left. Then go to the end of the wipe and make sure the graphic is at that halfway point on the right.

The math shoulf force this to work.