4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 9:42 AM by John T Smith

Will Premier Pro & After Affects Run On My Computer?

ndm06

I will be starting college in a few weeks and some of my classes require Premier Pro and After Affects. My laptop is a month old and has a Intel Pentium B970 processor. I would like to know if I will need to save up money to purchase a new laptop. It can run all the other Adobe CS6 programs.

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Will Premier Pro & After Affects Run On My Computer?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need Win7 64bit and at least 8Gig of ram for "effective" editing

You also need at least TWO hard drives... your data drive needs to be 7200rpm... again, for "effective" editing

Laptop Video Editing PC http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Will Premier Pro & After Affects Run On My Computer?
            ndm06 Level 1

I have Win7 64bit and I purchased a 16Gig SD Card to use with ReadyBoost (my computer has 4GB of RAM). I could purchase more RAM though, it not that hard to install.

Could I get a external hard drive?

• 3. Re: Will Premier Pro & After Affects Run On My Computer?
              JEShort01 Level 4

ndm06,

Now is the time to move to a more powerful laptop. Do not upgrade memory or anything else, this is simply not enough.

I had not heard of this cpu before, but did some quick checking:

- this CPU is being sold in Toshiba laptops having 768 horiz lines of resolution (not enough to meeet Premiere Pro minimum spec.) selling for around $499 at places like Walmart; this sounds like a budget CPU for users needing email and surfing the net. Running Adobe Premiere Pro requires a whole lot more

- it only has two cores and no hyperthreading; This is pretty wimpy; Premiere pro can even load up laptops and desktops with 4, 6, and 8 cores + hyperthreads (way to sort of double effective cores for processing power)

- I will assume that you will be working with AVCHD (consumer HD media) and that just so happens to be one of the most taxing codecs for video editing

- GPU (nvidia GTX 460M, etc.) choice can also help a laptop a whole lot for Premeire Pro by dramitically cutting the requirement to render before you play back a timeline

Spend sime time reading various laptop threads on this forum. The really nice laptops for premeire go for $3k and up, however there are some pretty decent Asus models (big, heavy, quad-core, support drives) that can be configured for Premiere Pro for under $1500.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Will Premier Pro & After Affects Run On My Computer?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>get a external hard drive?

eSata or USB3 (with 7200rpm drive) have a fast enough data transfer rate for video editing