Please read the following blog post for a solution to the Unexpected File Format Error:
Pay special attention to this portion (if you can't find a Mac equiv of WinRAR you can rename it to .zip as well if you have a .zip repair utility (StuffIt?)), FLAs are just compressed files:
Recovering the damaged or corrupt files
- Change the extension of .fla to .rar.
- Open it using the WinRAR application.
- Winrar throws a warning stating that you attempted to open damaged archive, you can safely Ignore the warning.
- Go to Tools->Repair Archive. This ensures that the archive and hence, the FLA is repaired.
- Change the extension to .fla.
If you can't find a repair utility you can PM me a link to download the FLA and I can try to recover it for you via WinRAR.
Im also having the same problem , as i use a macbook pro to animate my cartoons however it got corrupted with the "failed to open document" , Please help ! thank you. And yes i know i need winRAR for this , but is there a program thats mac compatible to fix this bug ?
I'm not aware of any but if you PM me a direct download link to your FLA (if you have permission) I can attempt to recover it on a PC, if you have no access to one. Please bear in mind that this only works a small percentage of the time but if time is crucial or you have no backups and want to try it, just shoot me a PM with the link and I'll try.
IS there any way you could try and fix mine?