4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 10:48 AM by Noel Carboni

overlay filter ignored when compressed to jpeg

saraysounds Level 1

Hi, I have been working on a file and every time I compress all the layers to an image file the overlay filter is ignored and it is processed at 100 opacity and normal instead of the overlay filter. 

I thought the file was corrupted so i started from stratch again.  I have my background layer (black) and a zig zag pattern i created which is set to overlay and 52% opacity, which gives a nice effect with the black layer.  When the 2 layers are compressed the pattern layer comes out the full red colour instead of the overlay settings.  Here are the 2 images - the saved jpeg image and a screen shot of what it looks like when working on it in photoshop.  I've been at it for 5 days.  I'm really not sure what else to do at this point.  I've even re-installed photoshop. overlay-(2).jpg

overlay.JPG

• 1. Re: overlay filter ignored when compressed to jpeg
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Pattern overlays are pixel by pixel and thus strongly dependent on the DPI setting of the document as wel las any scaling/ resizing/ resampling. And if that weren't enough, JPEG simply cannot capture these fine patterns due to how the compression works. YYou need to think of something else or as a minor use a different image format like PNG.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: overlay filter ignored when compressed to jpeg
            saraysounds Level 1

Hi, thanks for answering so quickly.  Im not sure what you mean by the DPI setting of the document?  I made a pattern by creating a red background layer and adding a lens flare and then distorted it with the waves option.  I didnt resize it.  I then put a solid black layer underneath and on the red layer i changed the filter option to overlay and opactiy 52%.   I tried to export it as a png also and the same thing happens. 

• 3. Re: overlay filter ignored when compressed to jpeg
              saraysounds Level 1

even if i just create a red and black layer and change the opacity and filter option on the red layer the same thing happens when exported to an image

• 4. Re: overlay filter ignored when compressed to jpeg
                Noel Carboni Level 8

You're working at nearly invisible low luminance levels, and so compression is going to affect the results hugely in very dark parts of the image.  Your "shadows will block up".

At first glance the images you've posted above just look black, especially the second one.  If you're seeing something different then I suggest you should check your monitor calibration, as most monitors will not open up such dark shadows.

Also, if you're seeing a change between what you sense on screen with layers present and what you sense when flattened, check everything at 100% zoom.  Your preview of the image when zoomed out is necessarily a facsimile of what's really there because it's speed-optimized.

-Noel