10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 2:15 PM by Noel Carboni

mvCommonMechanisms.dll

welchphoto Level 1

Hi

I just tried to open photoshop CS2 on my XP and I get an error that "mvCommonMechanisms.dll can not be found try reinstalling the product."

I did a repair of photoshop and re booted and I still get the message. I looked in the Windows/System32 folder and there is no mvCommonMechanisms.dll file. Any ideas? Should I completly remove photoshop and then reinstall? Does photoshop include the mvCommonMechanisms.dll file? If so why didn't it reintall it when it did an install during the repair?

Thanks

Dennis

PS I also run CS 5.1 on my win 7 and there is no mvCommonMechanisms.dll file on that computer.

• 1. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
          Level 7

Looks like that's part of a matrox driver package.

Did you install a Matrox video card on your system?

• 2. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
            welchphoto Level 1

Hi

I did have a matrox video card but I replaced it with a non matrox card.

Any idea why photoshop wants a matrox card dll to run?

• 3. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
              Level 7

Because some part of your OS still wants to load that matrox driver.

You need to uninstall the old matrox drivers.

• 4. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Any idea why photoshop wants a matrox card dll to run?

At some point in the past, a Registry key was written, telling the OS to load the Matrox driver and all of its components. That key is still there. As Chris states, complete removal of that Matrox driver and its components should eliminate that Registry entry.

If not, then a Registry "cleaner," such as CCleaner, might be needed. Before you use such a utility, create a new System Restore Point for now. When CCleaner prompts you to backup your Registry, be sure to do that, just in case. Make sure that you choose the correct operation, and also review the options in those operations.

I usually find that removal of older drivers, before the installation of a new one, can be a good idea, and many drivers require that the user do that. When changing cards, I ALWAYS remove any old drivers.

When done, it also might be a good time to check your current driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site and plug in your card's model, and your OS, and see if there is a newer driver available for it. Do not trust Windows, or any utility to tell you if you do have the latest. Check that out for yourself.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I respectfully disagree with the advice to run a registry cleaner.

However, even the display driver companies recommend such software as Driver Sweeper.

What I normally do is run a tool called Autoruns, which doesn't clean anything automatically but lets me review the stuff that's running as part of my system.  Then I research each entry related to the suspect software (in this case Matrox) and choose whether to disable it.

-Noel

• 6. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Noel,

You are not alone on Registry cleaners. I have just had perfect luck with the one that I mentioned, and follow a very strict operating regime with it.

Now, I have read of horror stories with many others, even vaunted ones. I stick with what works for me. Now, even though I have had 100% success with it, I still give those caveats/cautions, when using any such utility.

One potential issue with AutoRuns is that a less-skilled user might not have a clue, as to what is good, and what is bad. In your case, you are above 99% of the computer users, so I completely understand why it works so well for you.

Even with the mentioned utility, I do similar, in that I review everything, before I allow the program to delete even one entry, though I am certainly not at your level of expertise. In my case, I might need to Google for an entry, before I feel comfortable in deleting it.

Thanks for the comment, as warnings, when doing any Registry work are always good things.

Hunt

• 7. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                      welchphoto Level 1

Hi

Thanks for all the info.

I have had a show last night and today so I will work on this tomorrow and let you all know what worked.

Thanks Again

Dennis

• 8. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                        welchphoto Level 1

Well things are even weirder.

I ran system mechanic that I have used for years all the way back to the 90's. It cleaned out lots of stuff but still the same problem happened when I tried to run Photoshop.

Sooooo I did an uninstall of Photoshop keeping the activation info so the install would not need to be activated.

Then I did 2 shutdowns and reboots and ran system mechanic again and then another reboot then I tried to reinstall Photoshop and this is when it really got weird I got through the start of the install program then nothing happened for a long time then the computer rebooted. After the reboot the computer just started into a cycle of rebooting until I removed the CD. After running system mechanic again and letting it remove some broken links to Photoshop and tried again and the same thing has happened.

For now I will just do all my work on my other computer with the CS5 version.

I think windows is the problem I think I may need to do a clean reinstall of windows it has been running for about 4 years so I guess it is time.

• 9. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                          Level 7

Reinstalling Photoshop will not change your installed drivers in any way.

Your OS still thinks that you have an old driver installed -- you need to clean up the old driver, not Photoshop.

• 10. Re: mvCommonMechanisms.dll
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

welchphoto wrote:

I ran system mechanic that I have used for years all the way back to the 90's. It cleaned out lots of stuff but still the same problem happened when I tried to run Photoshop.

Thus going to show that "magic cleaner" tools aren't worth a hoot (I'm sorry, I don't care how long you've been using it).

In this case you're going to have to get a bit smarter about what's installed and running on your system.

I like a freeware tool by Bruce Russinovich called "Autoruns" for listing all the things that are starting and running on your computer.  Somewhere it will likely show you some components made by Matrox that shouldn't be running, and you can uncheck the box which will disable those components.

Be sure and research each setting you're about to change.  The internet is a treasure trove of info, though sometimes you have to sift through the chaff for a while.  And try not to be enticed by "magic cleaner" tools.  Only one entity can make the right decisions about what you want running on your computer, and that's you.

Good luck.

-Noel