14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 1:20 AM by rricki

PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem

cfg_2451 Level 2

I'm having trouble completing the round trip. I got my audio tracks from PPro CS6 to Audition CS6 without problems, right by the manual. But I'm having trouble getting that audio work back  into PPro.

I'm working a mid-sized project (one hour class, two cameras, etc. headed for DVD). Got edit lock. Everything is done now except for cleaning up audio. After the audio I can send the whole lot to Encore for DVD making. But first, audio.

Took the entire sequence to Audition  via PPro's  "Edit...Edit in Adobe Audition...Sequence..."  path. This worked just fine. It pushed all the audio files to Audition, Audition opened up and gave me a "make an Audition project" dialog box, etc. Nearly 100 files came over to Audition, on the right tracks, in the right order. Very nice. Made my changes. So far so good.

What I've read in the manual says that all I have to do when I'm done is "File...Save" in Audition, then PPro will have and use the changes. Sorta like Dynamic Link, but different. So I did the the project save.

At this point, things deviated a little from the plan. I started up PPro, opened the project, and no sign of the Audition work. Can't find a file anywhere in the project panel that says Audition on it. The files on the timeline are still the dark green of the multi-camera edit, not the lighter green of an Audition file. When I've done this for individual clips, I've gotten back a file with a name like "*Audio Extracted_1.wav" that shows up with the same green as the Audition icon on my desktop.

So I thought, fine. Not as easy as I had hoped. I'll just have to import it manually. But PPro doesn't seem to have any idea how to deal with a *.sesx file, which is the project file from Audition.

Should I be exporting, say, a *.wav file from Audition (how?) and import that into PPro? And if I do, is there a good workflow to re-sync this audio with my video tracks?

I'm confused. Don't know what I did wrong. Don't know what do to fix it. Don't know how to avoid this in the future. So any help gratefully received.

--

Bruce Watson

• 1. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In Audition you could try Multitrack/Export to Adobe Premiere Pro

• 2. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jerry is not wrong, exactly, but you might be happier selecting the Multitrack Menu and then selecting "Export to Premiere Pro".

Take a look at this tutorial for a look at how this is done.

• 3. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
              Jim_Simon Level 8

At this point, things deviated a little from the plan. I started up PPro,

For myself, I would have left PP open while doing the Audition work.  I wonder if your closing it has some side effect here.

• 4. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                cfg_2451 Level 2

OK, now I *am* confused.

Just did it again (a different DVD project however), as described in my original post. This time PPro stayed open for me. So I sent all the sequence audio files to Audition via the "Edit...Edit in Adobe Audition...Sequence..." comman, then did my editing in Audition, and saved it the Audition project. Go back to PPro, and... nothing. No sign of any file from Audition in the project panel. No sign on the time line. No sign of any Audition file anywhere in PPro that I can find.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

What I did get was a folder at the same directory level as my PPro project file, a folder in it with the project_name I gave Auditon when it opened from the PPro  "Edit...Edit in Adobe Audition...Sequence..." command, and then two files for every clip in the project (a *.wav and a *.pkf), and finally two more files, a project_name.xml and a project_name.xml.sesx.

I suppose I can export a *.wav file to PPro manually. Worked before. But I'd like to learn the "correct" way, the way Adobe intends it to work.

Darned if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong though. Help???

• 5. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

Oy.

The answer is, I didn't do anything wrong. This is the correct behavior if you send the entire sequence over to Audition, as opposed to a group of clips. If you send one or more clips, via the "edit...edit in Adobe Audition...clip" command, it does just what I described -- it replaces each clip's audio right there on the timeline, just like you'd get via dynamic link (say, using AE from PPro).

It's when you send the sequence (not clips) that you get the behavior I see. When you do this, you have to export the sequence back from Audition to PPro manually, using Audition's "Multitrack...export to Adobe PPro" command. Which finds the correct directory, and if there are more then one PPro project files there, it asks you to pick the one you are exporting to. Then it creates a new bin in the PPro project panel, and imports the new sequence audio file into this bin. And then you have to drag this new file to the timeline.

Piece of cake. Even if I can't find this covered in the documentation anywhere, or even discussed on a forum anywhere. And that's why I'm appending this description to this thread -- so that someone else can search for this behavior and get the explanation I couldn't find. ;-)

• 6. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                    mstrhanz Level 1

I have so gotten used to tight integration between all the adobe products that i was amazed that the integration between premiere pro and audition was mostly relying on old school import/export principles. I think its better either to prepare your audio entirely as separate tracks and do the final mix down in premiere then use audition which indeed should be the better tool for this. Even an export from a multitrack from audition will render audio files with huge silence areas in them. I think Adobe still can make their products integrate tighter and better. Im looking forward to CS7

• 7. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                      rmartin215 Level 1

I am having the roundtrip problem w/o the solution....

Exporting to premiere via mutltrack creates one large clip. I have multiple, non-adjacent clips..

Is there any other simple way.  In CS5, Soundbooth, after the clips are sent to SB, modify them, and exit -- and all of the premiere audio clips are updated.

No such thing in CS6?

Why not?

• 8. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                        cfg_2451 Level 2

rmartin215 wrote:

I am having the roundtrip problem w/o the solution....

Exporting to premiere via mutltrack creates one large clip. I have multiple, non-adjacent clips..

Is there any other simple way?

If I understand what you want, I believe there is. You can select (lasso, whatever it's called in PPro, drag the selection tool to select multiple clips) as much as you want in the sequence. When you go to send them to Audition, you'll see the option to send the selected clips is no longer grayed out, so you can export just the clips you've selected. This should get you what I think you want -- individual clips in Audition that replace the individual clips in PPro.

• 9. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                          rmartin215 Level 1

Tried the following:

1.  Selected all three clips

2.  Edit in audition - clips

3.  Render and replace

3.  Drag to match --  viz., perceived volume

4.  No obvious export to premiere button, grayed or not

5.  Inserted Doc Match files into Multi track -- three different tracks.

6.  Then exported them to Premiere

7.  Three diff tracks exported to Timeline on 3 diff tracks.

8.  Length of each track the same... had to cut two of them to fit.

At least that's a start, a poor one. 

The exported tracts are the same length!!! Please.

Can't it be made to replace the original-extracted clips?

Come on Adobe!!!!

>>> cfg_2451 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> 02/22/13 9:01 AM

• 10. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                            cfg_2451 Level 2

You shouldn't have to export the clips from Audition back to PPro -- that should happen automatically. You can see what I'm talking about in this Creative Cow tutorial on roundtripping PPro <-> Audition. See the beginning where he talks about sending the clip from PPro to Audition, then skip to around the 5:45 point where he starts talking about how to get your Audition edits back to PPro.

• 11. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. When one does Edit in Audition, the Clip(s) is/are linked from PrPro to Au, and after editing is done in Au, a simple Save should travel back along the link, updating the Clip(s) in PrPro. I do not think that has changed.

Hunt

• 12. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                                rmartin215 Level 1

I have spent the last several days trying to understand the Round Robin process for Premiere and Audition, comparing CS5 and CS6.

With CS5, you have to send each clip separately to Soundbooth, after which you can use the Match panel, save the files, close SB, and the Premiere audio files update.

With CS6, you can select all the clips and send them to Audition, BUT if you drag them to the Match panel, perform something, then a "Doc_Match_" prefix is added to each one, preventing the updating.  You can send a sequence to Audition, which gets complicated and which I haven't figured out completely yet.

Surely there must be a simpler way for CS6 to accomplish editing the audio of multiple clips.  But I don't find any tutorials or books that describe one.

• 13. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                                  rricki Level 1

Jerry, this does not work for me...  that option is GREYED OUT .. neither other forums showed mi solution to un-gray that option

• 14. Re: PPro cs6 -> Audition cs6 -> PPro, round trip problem
                                    rricki Level 1

This option is for me GRAYED OUT      that is  crazy