11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 5:34 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file

Whitsr12

I am designing a book half english half spanish—It is an instruction manual so you read the english then flip it and read the spanish.

In my Indesign CS5 document pages 1-30 are English then 30-1 again are spanish (upside down). I need to export them as a postscript file so that I can print it double sided correctly for a mock up.

I am making multiples of these books and only some are exporting to a postscript correctly and I cannot figure out why.

When exported to postscript correctly, it should look as if the left page is the cover in english and directly to the right of it is spanish but upside down, and then it alternates all the way to the end. So for example:

Spread 1: English on left right side up, Spanish on right upside down.

Spread 2: Spanish on left, English on right

Spread 3: English on left, Spanish on right.. and so on

But, some, are exporting so it shows a cover, then a blank page, and all the pages are jumbled up. (I do have "do not include blank pages ticked when exporting to postscript)

The only guess I have is that it has to do with the page and section numbering? I don't know if this effects how the postscript converts or not. But, I have several books exporting very differently to post script. Please let me know if anyone can help me figure this out!

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you are making way too much work for yourself for a mockup. Print the first half one-sided, then reload the stack and print the other half.  If your printer outputs to the bottom of the sheet when it feeds you'll have to print one half in reverse order.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
            Whitsr12 Level 1

I could do that, from indesign. But the printer wants a pdf that is setup as I originally said: with cover engish on left, and then cover spanish upside down. So it's for pre-press.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file

Well, you said it was for a mock up in the original post.

Quite frankly, though this is not an every-day imposition, it's not really rare, either, and the printer should be doing it, not you. The only reliable way I can think of to arrange the pages in ID if you have to impose it is to setup your pages in spreads as S30/E1 E2/S29, S28/E3... and so on and rotate all of the Spanish page content.  From there it can be imposed into any pattern for the printing and binding method.

This will require either a new section for each page so that you can assign the correct page number, or abandoning auto numbering and adding the numbers on each page manually. I'm fairly confident  that arranging the pages and rotating the content are both scriptable if you've got a document that is curently in consecutive English, then consecutive Spanish sections -- it's not conceptually a lot different from Dave Sanuders' old two-up saddle stitch impostion script.

On the other hand, if you set up in ID as two sections, one English and one spanish, both right side up and in 1-30 order, then export to PDF, I suspect it's also possible in Acrobat to script the page shuffle and rotation, or perhaps this pattern is even within the capabilities of the Acrobat impostion plugin Quite Imposing.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
                Whitsr12 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the reply. I already have chosen to abandon the page numbering and insert them all manually, at least for the second half of the book which is in spanish. Maybe I will try to look up how to script in Acrobat. Currently in my indesign document, exporting to booklet looks like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/liquidatedmind/Screenshot2012-09-16at92729AM.png

and this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/liquidatedmind/Screenshot2012-09-16at92734AM.png

The indesign is set up as you stated above:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/liquidatedmind/Screenshot2012-09-16at91615AM.png

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/liquidatedmind/Screenshot2012-09-16at91620AM.png

When ideally, in preview it should look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/liquidatedmind/Screenshot2012-09-16at92946AM.png

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file

Your screen shots are not making a lot of sense to me. Do you have a lot of blank paper on each page, or are you trying to put two "pages" onto each page of the layout (a really bad idea)? I think Print Booklet is going to be completely useless untill the pages are already alternating English and Spanish.

You can get help with the scripting for ID in the ID scripting forum: InDesign Scripting and I think there's a similar forum for Acrobat scripting.

I also think a trip to http://www.quite.com/imposing/ to download the trial might be in order.  I don't know if it will do the job or not, but I'd check it out before doing a lot of page shuffling. It's actually very inexpensive, compared to a full-blown pre-press imposer like Preps, and might be a good investment if you do a lot of these.

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
                    MrTIFF Level 3

Please send me one of the InDesign docs that you need to have imposed, so that I can make sure that IDImposer can do what you want. I'll send back the imposed result.

- Stephen, the creator of IDImposer

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
                      Whitsr12 Level 1

I could send you the file but I don't have it on me, and can't give it out due to being under contract. That's why I made the sample one. I could send you that one? I'm just trying to figure out why when I go to the preview in print booklet, that it throws in an extra page (I know the book has to be divisible by 4 for the 2-saddle stitch). I just can't get it to match english cover to spanish cover, page 1 english to page 1 spanish... and so on.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
                        Whitsr12 Level 1

After referring to this post in which you helped another designer out on:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4386700

I think I am getting the hang of it, I needed more pages in my document—Indesign was thinking I didn't have enough pages and adding more onto my covers. I didn't know that it corresponding to the page numbering.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file

In that thread the problem was that pages wer onthe wrong side of the spine, as I recall, requiring the insertion of a balnk page to accomodate. That shouldn't really be a problem for your book, but as I said earlier, there is no way Print Booklet can impose this properly from a file that has two sections with consecutine pages. It just isn't sophisticated enough for that sort of imposition.

• 10. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file
                            MrTIFF Level 3

Yes, please send me your sample doc. Thanks!

• 11. Re: Indesign CS5 Duplex printing Postscript file

I had a brief PM conversation with Stephen this morning, and it just hit me that I may have been thinking about this incorrectly. There are actually two approaches to this kind of document.

The approach I've been envisioning presents the reader with all the text on only the right-hand pages -- the lefts are all the other language upside down. But thinking back to my youth and buying some two-title sci-fi paperbacks, I think those were built so that if you tore apart the binding in the center of the book you'd wind up with two "normal" books without back covers, and there would be no page overlap between the two titles.

I'm guessing that the OP actually means to do the second, and I apologize for being dense yesterday. Seems like it was happening all week. If that's true (I mean the binding layout, not my being dense), then I understand what you were saying about Print Booklet, and there's actually a pretty easy way to make this work, I think without a plugin (though IDImposer might turn out to be even easier).

Here's the approach I would use to make a single book that can be cut apart to make two independent volumes:

First, download Scott Zanelli's Multipage Importer script from InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files The script allows you to automate placing multiple pages from either a PDF or another .indd file into a new .indd doc, and it allows you to select the page range to import, the page on which to start placing, and allows scaling, rotation and alignment adjustments.

Since you have two 30-page sections, make a new 60-page file. The first time you run the script, place the first 30 pages normally, starting on page 1. Now run the script again, choosing the range 31-60, but do the following: check the Reverse Page Order box, Start Placing on Doument Page 31, and Rotate 180:

Zanelli Rotated.png

You can run this new file trough Print booklet.

The original content in the new file cannot be edited directly other than moving pages around or cropping/sizing/repostioning the page images. If you need to make text changes or other edits, do them ithe original, then update the links.