4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 7:29 AM by Captiv8r

Link to bookmark in MS Word baggage file

Alberti Level 1

[RoboHelp 9]

I'm sure this must have come up before but I haven't found it. I have bookmarks in a Word document, and that document is a baggage file in the current project. How do I insert a hyperlink in my topic that opens the Word doc at a bookmarked location?

Cheers,

Mike

• 1. Re: Link to bookmark in MS Word baggage file
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

Have you tried adding #bookmark_name at the end of the path?

• 2. Re: Link to bookmark in MS Word baggage file
            Alberti Level 1

Hey Colum! No I haven't -- where would I do this -- in HTML mode? I don't see where the option is given. I do understand that is the customary way to address a bookmark, but I don't see where RH offers the option to specify that extension to the document name. To me, it looks like a case of "you can't get there from here".

Michael West | Business Improvement | Aurecon

• 3. Re: Link to bookmark in MS Word baggage file
              RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Mike. I have some bad news and some good news!

The bad news: I have to admit to writing that last response without testing my theory. It was more of a hunch that it could work. What I have discovered now I have tested it is that it is not quite as simple as I'd hoped. When you link to a baggage file it doesn't give you the option to select a bookmark. You have to manually add the bookmark to the end of the file path. However when adding the link the additional #bookmark tag is not retained in the hyperlink. The only way I have found to retain it is to manually add the #bookmark tag directly to the HTML and saving the topic before going back to the WYSIWYG view. However even that doesn't seem to work when viewing the output so I'm beginning to wonder if it is possible. Sorry to build up your hopes.

The good news: I remembered that there was a similar post that I helped with some time ago and I've routed it out. It lokks like the solution is to create a PDF of the Word file and then you can link to a page or other destination of the file. You can find the post at the link below:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/841330

Hope this helps

• 4. Re: Link to bookmark in MS Word baggage file
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Mike

Assuming it's even possible to open a Word document at a bookmark, one way to accomplish it and leave the document as a document would be to use a Redirect topic.

Just create a topic that will only be used to open the document. Then add the redirect code to the HTML.

1. Create a totally blank topic. I typically name these topics Redirect_Topicname.HTM so I don't confuse them with other topics. (Change Topicname to something indicating what the topic redirects to.)
                2. Display the HTML code.
                3. Locate the section near the top of the file containing the grouping of META tags.
                4. Insert the following line somewhere in the META tags. It doesn't matter where it is inserted, just as long as the line appears somewhere in the list.
                5. <meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="0;URL=FileName.DOC#bookmark_name">

Hopefully this helps. (and works)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks