9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit

Wallymaha Level 1

I have found only one refernece to this issue...and all anybody responded to was "it should this...it should that...."

I mean, hasn't anybody actually tried to install elements 10 on the final windows 8 64 bit yet??

Really? I am the first one....?

Well anyway...I have tried installing straight from the 64 bit folder....NO GO

I tried compatiblity on autorun...NO GO...

I keep getting to "install in X86...blah blah"

I have Premiere/Elements 10 disk. trying to install off of DISC 2.

COMPAQ desktop

AMD 64 X2

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Wally

I

• 1. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I see that your processor is an AMD64 -- but can you confirm that your operating system is Windows 7 64-bit? (I can tell you how to check if you don't know how.)

In the 12 months that this program has been out, this is the first time anyone has said they weren't able to install the 64-bit Windows version on a 64-bit version of Windows 7.

EDIT--

I just noticed that you're not running Windows 7. You're using Windows 8 -- which Premiere Elements 7 may or may not be compatible with, since the operating system doesn't officially come out until the end of next month.

I'd watch for the next version of Premiere Elements to be fully compatible with it. But it's hard to hold Adobe responsible for an operating system that didn't even exist when the program was developed!

• 2. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
            Wallymaha Level 1

Thanks for fast reply!!

...I'd watch for the next version of Premiere Elements to be fully compatible with it. But it's hard to hold Adobe responsible for an operating system that didn't even exist when the program was developed!

Yeah, I know, but it is just so frustrating to be looking at the 64bit install folder and adobe wont let me do it! It says I have to use the root install so it can make it's own decision of what OS I have.

Instead of doing what most software makers do (If 64 bit OS install 64 bit software)

It's doing:

Is this windows 64 bit? YES.  is this windows 7 64 bit? NO. Is this Vista 64 bit? NO. Well then it must be XP 64 bit! No Install for you!

We are just talking about a badly written init file.

And yes I have never written a piece of software in my life and have no idea what I am talking about.

It's just that we are not talking about a compatbility problem that is preventing an install....mislocations of necessary folders, program errors...I am sure of it. We are talking about a simple edit on install that I had hoped would be on the online verision...that I just tried to download and install to no avail.  I mean, doest anybody try to install these things like 10 months ago in Adobe and just fix the tiny thing on the "online install" and have it ready by RTM ?

It is just frustrating, if they would at least let me try to install it instead of me waiting months and spending more money for a simple fix.

anyway I understand what you are saying, I shouldn't fault them...

But people will be buying this "64 bit" version of Elements well into windows 8 release and assume they are  installing 64 bit software because they chose the 64 bit disc not the 32 bit...

Many people will miss the "X86" on install and that's not right.

I havent had one problem with 64 bit programs defaulting to 32 bit on any of my other dual bit installs from other companies.

Millions of windows 8 have been downloaded....I don't feel so cutting edge with it coming out in a few weeks. I just don't understand how there is no mention of this sneaky issue on this planet with 7 billion people on it, i am not that clever

Oh it's so stupid to be this frustrated on a sunday morning. I'm just venting Steve, sorry!

Still if anybody has any tricks up thier sleaves besides a virtual windows 7 enviroment....or if it is just me and they have installed it fine...let me know!

• 3. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>tricks up thier sleaves besides a virtual windows 7 enviroment

Win7 has a virtual XP mode because some older programs do not run (well, or at all) directly in the usual Win7 space

I do not (and will not... Win7 does all I need) use Win8, but I presume Win8 has a virtual Win7 mode for the same reason

As Steve said... it is not Adobe's fault that Microsoft made so many changes that PreEl 10 will not install "direct" to the Win8 space

• 4. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
                MoonKlash Level 1

From the looks of things in Windows 8, because Microsoft have changed the technology behind the virtual machine they haven't included an XP Mode / Windows 7 Mode like they did in in Windows 7. Whilst that's a bit frustrating, to be honest I never wanted to use the virtual machines as I always felt it'd reduce performance too much. In the end the only thing I ever used them for was browser testing websites.

I don't know if it would help, but I'd consider trying some of the techniques that were attempted when installing older Adobe products on newer editions of Windows. For example, I can't remember if it was CS2,3 or 4 however I do remember it being necessary to copy the content of all the discs to one folder on your PC in one edition, and running from there rather than the DVD's. You could try:

• Copy all the discs onto your PC
                • From there, right click on the installer, set the compatability to Windows 7 and make sure you click run as administrator.
                • Try turning off UAC while you're installing

However this is a real shot in the dark. Would you be able to post a screenshot of the errors you're getting?

• 6. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit

Unless I missed it, that page has NO information on the computer used to determine compatibility

Based on many other messages in this forum, the exact mix of computer hardware MAY have an effect

In any event... not even all Microsoft products are forward compatible

I used to use Microsoft Office 97 - but had to buy MS Office 2007 when I went from WinXP to Win7

My wife has a computer that COULD run Win7, but she refuses to let me upgrade her OS because she would have to replace her "old" version of Quickbooks

So, OS changes just sometimes cause problems

• 7. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
                    Wallymaha Level 1

thanks for replies!

Yeah the sneaky thing is that it will install fine. It just doesnt tell you it is installing 32bit, even if you use the 64bit disc.

Unfortunately this is also the case with the future Elements  preview install.

• 8. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit

>future Elements preview install

Ah... that would mean that PreElements 11 is actually being developed right now!

Well, if you have the preview to install, that would also mean that you have the means to file reports... so tell Adobe more work is needed to ensure PreEl 11 works properly with Windows 8

• 9. Re: Force 64 bit Elements 10 to install on Windows 8 64 bit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If ProDesignTools is correct, and they are usually pretty accurate (leaked info? ), Sept. 24 +/- will be the release date - very close at hand. I would assume that Adobe is ramping up for the release, and have probably begun parts of it already. However, until it is rolled out, we are all left just speculating.

Hunt