3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 7:06 AM by addisonsmum

Importing music error...

addisonsmum

I have premiere elements 8.  I have made my video and am now trying to import music. when I am doing this the following error comes up " The importer reported a generic error" It will not let me do anything further. I am using windows 7. I have made a video previously and this issue did not happen. Please help!

• 1. Re: Importing music error...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Where is your music coming from?

iTunes has built-in copy protection software that will block you from using it in any video editing program. (They're relaxed it a bit lately, since so many people were going to other sources for their music because of it.)

If this is the case, the solution is to record your music to a CD, then rip it back to your computer. (I'd also recommend you convert it to a WAV file for best performance.) As I show you in my book, this will sidestep the copy protection.

BTW, Amazon.com sells music without this copy protection, if you're interested. So you can use music directly from Amazon in your video projects. Though you should still honor the rights of the artist.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing music error...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve asks, more info on the music file will be needed, in order to help you.

It could be that a simple conversion, in a program like the free Audacity, might be all that you need to do. However, without more knowledge about the actual file, it is only guessing.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing music error...
              addisonsmum Level 1

Thanks Steve

Sent from my iPhone