9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2012 6:21 PM by Steven L. Gotz

unable to target tracks

mediafred Level 1

in cs6 I can drag the track source indicator to Audio 1, 2, 3 though I can't drag to audio 4,5, or 6. Why is this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: unable to target tracks
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you attempting to drag an Audio Clip to those Audio Tracks?

If so, check the channel-count of your Source Audio Clip, and the channel-count of those Aduio Tracks. They need to match, i.e. a 1-channel, mono Source Clip will ONLY go onto a 1-channel, mono Audio Track, and the same for a 2-channel Clip. It will ONLY go to a 2-channel Audio Track. There are little "speaker" icons in the Audio Tracks' Header, and one speaker = 1-channel, where two speakers = 2-channel, with "5.1" = a 6-channel/5.1 Audio Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: unable to target tracks
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on Audio Tracks and channel-count, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/788880?tstart=60

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: unable to target tracks
              josephs51576386 Level 3

I just tried this with a clip that is video and has no audio and I'm experincing the same issue he is desribing, I'm thinking this might be a bug. If you select video track 2 and then try to click insert from the source monitor it just moves the CTI and doesn't actually place the clip in the timeline. It only actually inserts the video clip when you have track 1 selected.

However when you click insert on the clip selected from the bin and not the source monitor it works as expected and allows you to place it on whatever video track you have selected....

• 4. Re: unable to target tracks
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like I misinterpreted the problem then.

Thank you for clarifying, and confirming what the OP was seeing.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 5. Re: unable to target tracks
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

I might have miunderstood as well actually now that I read his post again, however I might have stumbled upon a bug in the process is the problem I'm running into normal? I don't normally work by clicking insert from the source monitor so I honestly don't know, could you check this for me? I'm wondering if it's supposed to not allow you to insert clips to any track from the source monitor.

• 6. Re: unable to target tracks
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Holy smokes!

That is a serious bug.

I am a drag and drop kind of guy most of the time, so I never noticed. And since it works on the first track, and that is almost always where I have video clips, I didn't notice.

But if you attempt to use any track other than the first one, neither the clip nor the audio is put on the sequence, however the CTI moves to the end of where the clip should have gone.

Edit: And if you insert, the video and audio on existing tracks moves out to the right at just the correct spot as though there were a clip being put on the sequence.

• 7. Re: unable to target tracks
                      josephs51576386 Level 3

Good to know someone else is able to reproduce this, if this is actually a bug it's a major one. I just tried clearing my prerferences etc.. and it still keeps acting the exact same way. It's looking like this is probably a bug. Hopefully someone who uses

that feature a lot can let us know if it's always worked like this or not, but surely it hasn't because that would be strange.

Just realized I accidently posted my original response in the wrong thread Bill was totally correct and I was wrong, two of the threads were named very similarly which somehow I ended up switching tabs and ending up in the wrong thread with my response I meant to respond to this thread however it appears both me and Steven have stumbled upon a legitimate bug.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1067031?tstart=0

• 8. Re: unable to target tracks
                        mediafred Level 1

I'm still pretty new to Premiere, though I have counted at least 5 bugs like this in the past week. I like the software, though it is a bit ridiculous with some of the things I'm finding...thanks for the info everyone.

• 9. Re: unable to target tracks
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I wondered what the heck the question was that you were answering, but yes, it is a bug as far as I can tell. I am going to post my response over in the other thread, and then perhaps the title of the thread will draw more people with more verifications. That way this thread can go back to the original purpose.

I try checking out bugs other people report whenever I can. It is always good to know these things before I find them myself and have to go looking for answers.