1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2012 6:33 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere CS5 to Encore 5.1 Blu Ray track from six mono wave files

foxetown Level 1

When preparing a 5.1 mix for a theater presentation, I had repeated trouble trying to get a blu ray disk to reflect the 5.1 mix our sound engineer created, so, having had success this time, I wanted to record my procedure.  You gurus might catch something I missed, so critique this where necessary:

I'm running Windows 7 Professional, Premiere CS5 and Encore CS5.  

You will need to purchase the Minnetonka Surcode for 5.1 ( http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=74)

Mine installed without any hitches.  

In your Premiere sequence, make sure you create a 5.1 Master audio track.  (Very important)

Create 6 5.1 audio tracks

Import your six mono wave files.  (L.wav, R.wav, Ls.wav, Rs.wav, C.wav, LFE.wav) but DO NOT drag them to the timeline yet.

Right click on each .wav file in the project panel.   For each one, select Modify -> Audio Channels

In this dialogue box, you can select mono, stereo, mono as stereo, or 5.1.  Choose 5.1.

Each of your wav files should be mapped to the proper representation of the 5.1 icon, with the black dot appearing where the final name would imply. (the *c.wav file would match the icon as it appears below.

Continuously click on the icon will bring up new channel options. (see illustration below)

For more info on channel mapping, see:  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f46a.html

(continued..)

modify_audio.jpg

When all your wav files are mapped to the master 5.1 audio track, you can drag them to the sequence and  you can export your audio file.

File -> export -> media 

My objectives was to get an *.ac3 file to drop into my encore project, since I had trouble with dynamic link, so the next step for me was:
      Format:  H.264 Blu-ray (note export audio only didn't give me the 5.1 surcode option, but I got it this way:)

uncheck export video

export settings, h.264 Blu-Ray, Dolby Digital, SurCode for Dolby Digital
      Our engineer recommended:

Dialog Normalization should be -31

Dynamic Compression should be set to none

settings_51a.jpg

The export resulted in an AC3 file that was a perfect match to the sound mixer's file on his end.