10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 6:25 AM by A.T. Romano

Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?

kurtS2000

Hello,

I try to find a software to work with my video footage of 1920x1200. Well Premiere Elements has every thing i need to work with but i cant find a way to work with this Video size.

Is there any way to get this going?

• 1. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, yes and no.

Yes, you can probably use video that's that resolution -- but the program does not have any project settings for it. So I wouldn't recommend doing it.

But if you do:

1) You'll need to render often as you work, whenever you see red lines above your clips on the timeline.

2) Your video will not fit neatly into the video frame. Either its top and bottom will be trimmed off or your video will appear letterboxed, with black above and below it.

3) You won't be able to work with much footage before the program will start to lug.

4) You don't say what the frame rate, codec or interlacing method is that this video uses, but they could cause additional problems.

What model of camcorder did this video come from?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is that video from a screen capture program?

If yes, which one?

Also if yes, some previous messages about trying to edit screen capture video (if not, just ignore this)

Fraps http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871095

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943772

-Elements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201

Camtasia http://forums.adobe.com/thread/836800

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/453044

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/3202148

Techsmith codec http://forums.adobe.com/message/3692768

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1046914?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
              kurtS2000 Level 1

Yes i use Screen Capture with Fraps not a Camcorder.

Well it seems i need to look for another programm if Premiere Elements can't work with this resolution without cutting parts apart from the video. I am a litte confused this has to be an purely artifical restriction.

• 4. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you click the three links I provided to read more about Fraps?

PreElements is designed to work with video from a camera... not so much video from other sources

So, yes, you may need to use a different program to edit your video... does Fraps offer editing software?

• 5. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Premiere Elements is designed to work with common Video Frame Sizes, common PAR, common FPS, etc.. Premiere Pro allows the user to create Projects/Sequences to about any Frame Size, and FPS, that they might want to use. It would be a much better program if you need to maintain that computer monitor Frame Size.

What you are working with is a non-standard Video size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                    wcn_dave Level 1

Just to check, although I think the answer is there.  There is no way to save video for playback on 1920x1200 screen without some kind of black bars?

• 7. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That is correct. It is a non-standard video frame size.

• 8. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

kurtS2000

Before you close the book on this, might I ask you to try the following to get your 1920 x 1200 exported from Premiere Elements 11  essentially intact as a .wmv video in this example?

I am assuming that this is for a NTSC area and you are running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 Windows to its default working space of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30.

2. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to Default Scale To Frame Size.

3. Use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your video into Project Assets, followed by dragging it to the Timeline Expert view.

4. Try to do your edits and then move on to Publish+Share.

5. Use Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media with the preset of "720 x 480 16x9 29.97", then

6. Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, set for the following:

codec = Windows Media Video 9

Encoding Passes = Two

Bitrate Mode = Variable Unconstrained

Frame Width = 1920 pixels

Frame Height = 1200 pixels

Frame Rate = 29.97 frames per second

Pixel Aspect Ration = Square Pixels (1.0)

Average Video Bitrate (Kbps, kilobits) = 1500 found but adjustable from 4 to 10000 Kbps...depending of video quality, you can experiment with increasing the bitrate, but watch the file size as you do that.)

Leave everything else as is for now and let us know the outcome.

I do not have any 1920 x 1200 capture footage at the moment so I would be interested to learn of your results with this idea.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                          wcn_dave Level 1

Hi, that works!

The sound was very very stuttery though, so I tried an mp4 instead, and that worked great.  However the windows thumbnail does not show in explorer, and the dimensions are not shown in windows explorer "details" panel, so although vlc can play it, not sure my target machine will be able to - but I will try.

When editing the assets are outside the viewable area in edit mode, however as long as the full width is used, when exporting, they seem to be fine.

I guess the main trick was to select something that was correct width at start, and then to uncheck the default scale.

I don't actually have any 1920x1200 source video, that is the target screen resolution of the video.  I have a picture included which is correct size, and the video I am scaling (with of course a loss of quality, however that's fine in this case).

I will have to try on the target machine later, however for now it is possible to create a video with correct aspect and no bars.  So good news.

Any idea on which publish preset would produce the most widely computer playable mp4?  The target computer is windows7, with no other relevant media playing software installed.

Thanks again!

Dave

• 10. Re: Can i use video resolution 1920x1200?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

Thanks for the follow up and glad that you found possibilities for editing/exporting your video footage in Premiere Elements.

H.264.mp4 should be playable on Windows Media Player as well as the QuickTime Player.

I just did a run through on the following that you might to look at.

Publish+Share

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod, iPad and iPhone

with Presets = Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Widescreen High Quality

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset

Codec: MainConcept H.264 Video

TV Standard = NTSC

Frame Width = 1920 pixels

Frame Height = 1200 pixels

Frame Rate = 29.97 frames per second

Field Order = None (Progressive) grayed out

Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels

Profile = Baseline

Level = 5.1 (often you have to set the Level before you can type in your frame size)

Bitrate Encoding = VBR, 2 Pass

Target Bitrate = 100 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate 100 Mbps (megabits per second)

Just made a quick guess-estimate on Bitrate rather than leave it at the lower default settings. Could experiment further, but...

The above gave me great 1920 x 1080 video playback of the H.264.mp4 with both QuickTime Player, Windows Media Player, Although I did not try it, the VCL Player should be able also to playback this video well. If necessary, we could explore other routes to the H.264.mp4 or other. But this represents my latest comments.

Thanks.

ATR