4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 1:32 PM by Ngaio9

Select only the objects within a selection marquee

Ngaio9 Level 1

I am a new user of Illustrator CS5, switching from Freehand. I am trying to find out if there is a way to select only the objects within a selection marquee? In AutoCAD you can make a selection window from left to right and only those objects entirely within the window are selected. If you window from right to left all objects that are "crossed" or touched by the window are selected. Is there a similar technique in Illustrator?

Currently I have to select the objects, then go back and hold the shift key to deselect the object I don't want, or put objects on different layers then lock layers to prevent extra objects getting selected.

In AutoCAD, my primary program, you simply draw a selection window, left or right, depending on what your next step would be. No special tools or toggles or thinking ahead, it's just the primary selection process and very intuitive.

I posted a discussion on the Illustrator forum several months ago which is still generating comments so this seems to be a tool that would be appreciated by many users. Someone posted a script but it hasn't worked for me yet.

Thanks for anything you can do to solve this issue.

• 1. Re: Select only the objects within a selection marquee
          Cleanshooter21 Level 1

Could you post a link to the other post?  Or just post the script that the other user posted?

• 2. Re: Select only the objects within a selection marquee
            W_J_T Level 4

Ngaio9 wrote:

Is there a similar technique in Illustrator?

It has already been answered in your other thread. No, not inherently.

Ngaio9 wrote:

I posted a discussion on the Illustrator forum several months ago which is still generating comments so this seems to be a tool that would be appreciated by many users. Someone posted a script but it hasn't worked for me yet.

However, in your previous other thread you were provided with 3 working alternative workarounds, and all the scripts work fine.

How to select only objects within a selection marquee? ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856221?start=0&tstart=0 )

See Posts: 11, 41, 54

You mention the script does not work for you. Which script? What does not work about it? The scripts in posts 11 and 41 each work fine.

Run a script / Install a script

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-62a3a .html

Also...

CarlosCanto wrote:

- copy the script from here

- open the ESTK, it should be in the same folder where the other CS apps live

- ESTK should open with a blank document

- paste the script there

- save it, and place it in your default illustrator scripts folder

- restart Illustrator

to run the script

- go to File->Scripts

So are you saying?

1.) The scripts just dont work at all for you?

2.) You cant get them to work, due to not knowing how to install / use them?

3.) Or, they do work, but dont work for your particular needs?

• 3. Re: Select only the objects within a selection marquee
              CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

thanks WJT, I coudn't have said it better.

Marie, I thought we were already clear that "No", there's no way to do it exactly like Autocad does it.

I'm new to Illustrator, what does the lasso tool do?

it is ok being new to the program, but don't just say it does not work for you...explain better.

since it's been a long time since you posted your question why don't you go back and re-read the whole thing, specially post 47

47. Ngaio9,

Ok, finally getting back to try this. I followed your instructions. Opened

illustrator, drew 3 rectangles to test. Selected the new script from the

file menu, last object is deleted. Tried it again, 2nd rectangle deleted.

Hmmmm.

48. CarlosCanto,

yes, the last rectangle is supposed to be your "marquee", it will get deleted. Take another look at my screen shot. I'm glad you were able to use it.

drawRectToSelect.PNG

• 4. Re: Select only the objects within a selection marquee
                Ngaio9 Level 1

This is a copy of my last post from the original thread. I found some of the discussions confusing because I have no experience in writing or using scripts. So I copied all of the recommendations into a document to read through without the comments and digressions. After several hours and a lot of Googling I figured out which solution suited my purpose which was a quick and simple selection process with the fewest steps to use.

So, I think I have this working. The follow is what I did:

1. Copy the script by Carlos Canto in post #11 here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856221?start=0&tstart=0

2.  Open the ExtendScript Toolkit by going to Utilities>Adobe Utilities-CS5.5>ExtendScript Toolkit CS5.5>ExtendScript Toolkit CS5.5.App

3. When the program opens paste the script into the large panel to the left.

4. Then go to File>Save As.

5. In that dialog box click on the arrow next to the Save As box to extend the options section.

6. Next, navigate to Applications>Adobe Illustrator CS5.1>Presets>en_US>Scripts.

7. Next, in the Save As box type in a name to recognize the script (I named mine Window1).

8. Click Save and close the Toolkit.

Launch Illustrator and open a drawing.

1. Using the rectangle tool I drew a rectangle around some objects.

2. Make sure the new rectangle is selected.

3. I went to File>Scripts>Window1.

4. Got an error message - Error 8705: Target layer cannot be modified Line 25 -> iart.selected + true:

Oops, you have to have ALL the layers unlocked.

5.  Clicked OK.

6. Unlocked all the layers.

7. Reselected my rectangle.

8. Went to File>Scripts>Window1.

9. Voila! The objects within the rectangle are selected and the rectangle is deleted.

So yes, this script does work as requested. Thanks Carlos.