13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 4:45 AM by wcn_dave

Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit

wcn_dave Level 1

On launch, i get the welcome message.

On "new project" it crashes as shown:

http://www.mytechnologymatters.com/local/files/APrE10/ape1.jpg

This has never worked on this machine.

I have defragged, cleared drive, checked space, updated windows, updated all drivers,

Here are my system specs

ape2.jpg

Here are my devices:

ape3.jpg

Here is my Diag file: http://www.mytechnologymatters.com/local/files/APrE10/DxDiag.txt

Here is my nfo file: http://www.mytechnologymatters.com/local/files/APrE10/system.nfo

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say you have updated Windows -- but have you also manually gone to Windows Update and selected all of the optional updates? It's quite possible there are driver updates that haven't been applied.

BTW, have you ensured that you installed the 64-bit version of the program?  The 32-bit version will still work, although you may need to launch it in compatibility mode.

Also, please let us know if there is anything unusual about your configuration. For instance, if the program is installed on other than your C drive, you're on a network, you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, etc. Everything could be relevant.

Like I'm curious about those three SCSI drives. They don't seem to be typical of a configuration. How large are each and how much free space is on each?

• 2. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have a few questions on your system:

1. It appears that you only have 4GB RAM (appears in several screens) with a 64-bit OS. With Win7-64, that is just enough to run the OS, with very little leftover for any programs. Is that correct?
            2. It appears that you have two ATI video cards. How are the configured, in Crossfire? Adobe programs experience problems with either SLI, or Crossfire. Can you disable one of the video cards, and try again?
            3. For those two cards, have you manually checked the AMD/ATI Web site for the driver updates, of did you just trust Windows to tell you that you had the latest version?
            4. Have you looked in Event Viewer, in the System and Applications Tabs, for any error, or warning messages, when PrE crashed? That would be a step that I would do now.

Good luck, and thank you for the information on your system. That is very helpful.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
              wcn_dave Level 1

I have manually updated everything yes.

I have installed the trial version, 64 bit yes

I installed on the C drive, which is an SSD drive and has 73GB free space.

I tend to install programs on C as it is super fast, and keep data on the other drives, as they are big/slow/cheap

However i have not even got that far yet, so all on C up to this point.

I am on a network, however not sure that is "unusual", and I have upgraded many times in my life, however this is a new trial version installation on windows 7, so not really relevant.

I am also not sure why having multiple hard disks is not typical of someone who does things like video editing?  I have attached the HDD infomation

Erm, ok the advanced editor won't let me upload images now... so i will write it out:

C: 73.3GB free from 148

D: 224GB free from 465

E: 251GB free from 465

Bill:

Right now I am running:

Chrome (24 tabs), skype, putty (4 sessions), word (3 docs), Excel (2 docs), outlook, spark messenger, firefox (4 tabs), windows explorer (6 windows), IE9 (4 tabs), snagit, photoshop, winscp, 2 text editors, Visio (1 file), Project (1 file), dragon naturally speaking and virtual PC.  My current CPU is 5% and RAM usage is 59%. so I think 4 is ok ;-)

When i try to launch Premiere i did so with all other applications closed.  RAM never went above 50% in task manager.

the video cards are totally separate, no cross linking.  Problem with disabling, is that I am running 5 monitors, using VGA, DVI, and Display Port.  It has taken a lot of work to get them right using Catalyst and I find that any disruption tends to ruin the set up, and I might have to spend literally days getting it right again :-(

I have manually checked that I have the latest drivers.  However this thing about drivers, means that you think that each time a new driver is released, Premiere will stop working.  but how will it know that a new driver is released?  And why would it stop working?  I can understand having really out of date stuff, however running a recent install of win7 with all drivers up to date should be fine for installing a program...

Event viewer shows this:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e791009

Faulting module name: atio6axx.dll, version: 6.14.10.10792, time stamp: 0x4e6040de

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x000000000112a7e0

Faulting process id: 0x18fc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd94fd335120e0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atio6axx.dll

Report Id: 82548380-00f0-11e2-95aa-001d609579c2

It seems likely that having multiple graphics cards, with multiple screens is going to end up being the root cause, which is ironic given that a power user is more likely to do video editing, and have multiple screens...

Hope the above helps you prove me wrong!

• 4. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info.

A couple more question:

Where is you My Doucments folder located? Is it local, or on a server?

That faulting module: atio6axx.dll is part of your ATI Catalyst video driver, or its console. I do not use AMD/ATI, so do not know what function that .dll performs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some (most?) of this is for Premiere Pro... but the problems between PPro and PreElements are mostly the same

So... some reading

2 cards and 3 monitors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875252

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/876675

Dual Card SLI http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872941

-problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872103

No current version of Premiere works properly with a network

-you may NOT "map" your My Documents folder to a network drive

-you MUST give all users administrator accounts to use Premiere

-you MAY also need to... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

-also PreEl see #5 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017199

• 6. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                    wcn_dave Level 1

My Documents is on C drive

Before I do a whole load of reading to install some software (which I have never had to do before, installing most programs is install -> finish -> run), I wanted to understand this properly.

No current version of Premiere works properly with a network

If it is to be taken as it's written, then wow, really wow... nearly every computer in the world is on a network, even if it's only to connect to the internet via a home router or such.  I cannot imagine many people who undertake video editing who do not have more than one device.  even if only a tablet, or a smartphone via wifi, or a way to stream movies....

FWIW, premier does work fine on my laptop, albeit rather slowly, and my laptop is definitely on a network.

If this is not what the comment means and it should be something like "no version of premiere runs over a network", (eg like citrix), then I will delve in to the myriad documents that you've suggested...

thanks for all the quick responses so far!

Dave

• 7. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                      wcn_dave Level 1

For what it's worth, I installed this on my Mac-mini instead, and it launches fine on there.  The only problem is that the program is too slow to actual use, i guess the mac-mini is too underpowered for video editing.

• 8. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Where the Adobe programs fail on a network, will be in corporate, or academic networks, where the My Documents folder is on a network drive (at least on the PC), and where the users do not have full Administrator permissions. Many IT departments and most academic institutions restrict users, and also redirect their My Documents to the network.

I have all of my computers on a peer-to-peer network, but am Administrator on all. I log-in with my Administrator account.

I also use a NAS for storage of my archived Assets, but do not edit to/from the NAS - I Copy any Assets to a local HDD, whether internal, or external FW-800.

I have no issues running all of the Adobe Master Collection on my computers, so it is the type and configuration of the network, that matters.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                          wcn_dave Level 1

ok, well i am on a normal home network here, with my docs on local disk, and all assets on local disk until I archive them to NAS.

given all that, it must be the graphics cards, if i get another ATI V4800 so that I have two the same, how likely is that to "solve" it?

Thanks

Dave

• 10. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit

Back in #5 I posted some links concerning dual graphic cards... do any of the discussions in those links help?

• 11. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                              wcn_dave Level 1

They do in as much as they suggest that working with dual cards causes issues, and that sometimes, using the same cards works.

No definitive on "cards must match" or "these cards work"

I would be quite happy to use this on the mac-mini if the performance was not so lousy.

I will probably order another v4800 anyway, so that i can upgrade to 6 screens for productivity, so then i will have a pair and can try again.  However it will take 3 weeks for me to get the card and get it installed, so I might find the trial has expired by then.

will come back then if nothing else comes up that you can think of.

• 12. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit

Back when I read and saved those links, what I got out of the information was not so much using exactly the same card (but, that can't hurt) as using the same "family" of card so only one graphic driver is installed... AND that the graphic driver and cards must make provision for one card to be primary for Premiere to work

I don't use more than one card, or more than one monitor (a single 27" monitor is all that will fit on my corner desk) so I didn't really pay a lot of attention to the  details

Good luck... and do report back to let other know your results

• 13. Re: Trial Version 10 Won't Launch Win7 64 bit
                                  wcn_dave Level 1

I am using two radeon ATI cards, and they are both controlled through ATI catalyst Pro Control Centre.

I imagine they use different drivers.

There is no way I can see to set one as "primary" although clearly when loading windows, or using a boot disk, only one is "active", so i guess BIOS controls that.