8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 12:30 PM by Michael Tiemann

Can I create populated Metadata presets?

klonaton

I'm starting to investigate the CS6 workflow, and have a few questions about logging metadata.  This question likely also applies to Prelude.

I've found how to create custom metadata displays.  This is great- simplifying the metadata window helps a ton when logging incoming footage.  However, I'm wondering if I can further speed up the logging process by creating semi-populated metadata sets.  For example, within our company the Rights Management, Director, DP, Camera Model, etc. are often exactly the same.  Is there a way to have these fields show up pre-populated? 

Another option would be the ability to add drop-downs to any field like the Camera Move, Shot Size, Camera Angle do in the Dynamic Media schema.  That way we simply select from one of our directors, one of our cameras, one of our DPs, etc.  This would help a ton when logging within a single project, where the location is always the same, the shoot name is often the same, the Tape name is often the same, etc. 

As I'm new to Premiere and Prelude CS6, I'm hoping these time-savers are already implemented and I'm just not finding them. Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The only way I know to do this is to add that data in the camera, so that it's already there when PP sees it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
            klonaton Level 1

It looks like Adobe Media Encoder has the ability to do this with XMP Export Presets.  In this case it's not just the displayed fields that you customize, but the entries as well.  Shouldn't there be a similar feature in Premiere?

• 3. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Maybe try Prelude.

• 4. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
                klonaton Level 1

I've looked through Prelude for a solution but it appears it handles global metadata in the same manner.  No ways to add metadata presets or dropdowns that I can see.  Both softwares also lack atofill which seems like a no-brainer... much like how iTunes suggests artist names based on what you've previously entered, I see no reason that Premiere and Prelude couldn't do this as well.  This, however, would only be a bandaid as pre-populated metadata presets would be far more efficient for input.

• 5. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
                  Michael Tiemann Level 1

I have just learned from painful experience that DaVinci Resolve expects FCP export scripts to populate <reel> metadata (named "Tape Name" in Premiere Pro, but read and written in XML as <reel><name></name></reel>).  I think it's a bug in Resolve that it won't follow its own metadata rules for assigning reel names to projects it imports via XML the same way it does to media that is imported via the GUI.  But nevermind that.  What would make this almost tolerable would be if Premiere Pro had an easy way to say "Fill in Tape Name with Clip Name (if empty)" or some such.  Then DaVinci Resolve would work great at the end of my Premiere Pro round-trip.

• 6. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

While it's not possible to apply a populated metadata set through PPro, you can fill in some properties (including Tape Name) for multiple selected project items.

1. In Project panel, select a set of clips.
                    2. In Metadata panel, enter the desired info for any property that's editable.

If you'd like greater power to batch-edit metadata within PPro, feel free to submit a feature request.

It also might be worth investigating what Adobe Bridge can do.

• 7. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
                      Michael Tiemann Level 1

Mark, thanks for your reply, but in this case each Tape Name field needs to be filled in with the corresponding [Clip] Name field.  Unless there is some kind of wildcard feature (%N or $NAME or $this->name or somesuch), it's no help.  The one thing that will not work is to have all the Tape Name fields be the same thing--that's what's confusing Resolve in the first place.

• 8. Re: Can I create populated Metadata presets?
                        Michael Tiemann Level 1

Mark: I checked out Adobe Bridge.  It has virtually no mechanisms for computing metadata from filenames.  Indeed, the Filename metadata field is actually inaccessible to the Video metadata world.  Only a manual copy/paste can transfer it...the same as in Premiere Pro.

I'm not going to submit a feature request because I strongly believe that the real (reel) problem lies on the Resolve side.  It would be nice if Premiere Pro had the power to make up for bad XML input, but if the problem is to be solved, it should be solved at the source.