3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 11:08 PM by SueCampbell54

Placing one word doc sectioned over many INDDs

SueCampbell54 Level 1

Is it possible at all to place a portion of the Word doc into mulitple INDD files?

Working on a book, I am given one doc for the whole book, but must break it into chapters, etc. I can't cut and paste of course, because I lose all formatting. Our editors can't seem to grasp using word styles instead of local styling everything as normal + bold or whatever.

It's way quicker to fix this in InD using Find Replace than to fix it first in Word and break up the doc as it properly should be done. So, is there ANY way to place a part of a doc and then place the next part in the next IND chapter doc, etc?

Any suggestions appreciated!

• 1. Re: Placing one word doc sectioned over many INDDs
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a bunch of different ways that occur to me, each with its own drawbacks. One would be to place the whole Word doc into a fresh INDD, then shift-select pages from the end of your INDD and drag them into a new one. Or use Move Pages in the same way. Here's a link to a script posted on InDesignSecrets that automates the process for you.

In the long-ago past, when I needed to work with files like yours, I just opened up the Word doc, deleted everything but Chapter 2, resaved as WordDoc-Chap2-toplace.doc, closed, reopened the original, done the same thing to Chapter 3, etc.

But no, not so far as I know: when you place a Word doc into an InDesign doc, you don't get any option, you have to flow in the whole document. You can only chop before, or chop after. Seems to me that chopping after is easier, but I don't know enough about your own workflow and your own document to tell you that chopping afterwards will be easier for you.

• 2. Re: Placing one word doc sectioned over many INDDs
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

> You can only chop before, or chop after. Seems to me that chopping after is easier, but I don't know enough about your own workflow and your own document to tell you that chopping afterwards will be easier for you.

One advantage of Chopping After is that you can do some post-processing of your document in bulk -- your find-and-replacing, for example.

• 3. Re: Placing one word doc sectioned over many INDDs
              SueCampbell54 Level 1

I guess I have done both of these choppiong methods. And you're right that flowing it all in and then dividing it up does have it's advantages. I was just hoping for some new trick! Thanks for confirming what I guess I knew.