8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 6:09 PM by Dave LaRonde

Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors

Deaner77 Level 1

Green-Swoosh.png

Gray Swoosh.PNG

Gray Swoosh 2.PNG

OK...I'm new to AE. I brought in some artwork created in AI. The goal is to extrude each of the paths slightly different heights to create a 3D logo in AE. When I convert the AI file to shapes in AE, I loose all my green color gradients.

So first...does AE not like gradients from AI? If AE discards the color info because they are gradients, How can I fill a shape with a gradient?

Secondly, How can I select each of the different paths and extrude them individually? Do I need to save each path out of AI and import them one by one? ...Seems like a long way around....

Thanks!

Dean

• 1. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

So first...does AE not like gradients from AI? If AE discards the color info because they are gradients, How can I fill a shape with a gradient?

Think about it: Gradients in an AI file are the illusion of 3D, not 3D. What you want is kind of an oximoron - you want to use "realistic" rendering based on unrealistic gradient shading. Therefore the answer is that you will have to modulate thjis stuff by tweaking the light and material properties. At this point AE doesn't support any texture mapping that would allow you to just slap on those gradients again.

Secondly, How can I select each of the different paths and extrude them individually? Do I need to save each path out of AI and import them one by one? ...Seems like a long way around....

Similar to the above: The different colors in teh AI file are the illusion of different materials, not different materials. Yes, you need to import and colorize them separately therefore. Generally you need to adjust your thinkling when getting into this 3D stuff. It's a whole different process from working with 2D illustrations.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
            Deaner77 Level 1

So if I am understanding correctly, there is is not a way to "paint" a gradient on a 3D shape? I am stuck with filling the extrusion with a solid color and manupulating the color with lights/falloff and material properties?

Also...the gradient fill is only appropriate on a 2D surface? Is that correct?  When I create a 2d shape layer and fill it with a gradient, I can get it to look the way I want it. As soon as I turn it to a 3D layer the nice gradient is "converted" to what looks like an average or blend of the two  colors in my gradient. (If I had a red to blue gradient, the shape is now purple)

So...bottom line is that gradients are not supported on 3D shape layers...and this project is going to take me longer than i first expected! 

Thanks for the help

Dean

• 3. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
              Deaner77 Level 1

So I guess my next question is this...Since each of my shapes are going to need seperate lights is there a way to tell AE to light only a specific 3D shape and not the others?  How would you assemble this logo?

• 4. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
                Deaner77 Level 1

Would I import each shape in its own comp, light it in there and combine all 7 comps into one at the end?

I don't know what I'm doing and digging though the help menu and google is not yielding results for me. 

• 5. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

You may be new to AE, but are you new to3D applications, such as Cinema 4D, 3DS Max, Maya or Blender?  If you know one, I would use it to make the logo.

If you're just plain-old brand new to this stuff, I have to tell you: you've just jumped into the deep end of the pool.  Wearing lead weights.  If this is a project that needs to be done right now or very soon, you'd be better off hiring it done. 

AE is NOT the kind off application that lets you learn a couple of neat tricks, there are too many gotchas built into it for the novice.  You really do need to begin at the beginning, and it's going to take time to learn.

There are many suggestions for the beginner, but I'd recommend searching for Todd Kopriva's blog called "Getting Started With After Effects".  There is a LOT of useful information in it, and tons of useful links to valuable training materials.

Incidentally, Todd is a gent from Adobe who literally wrote the book on After Effects Help.

• 6. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
                    Deaner77 Level 1

Hi Dave,

I am a 3DS Max user. I've been using it for 7 years now and really enjoy it. Are you suggesting completely creating the swoosh in MAX as an animation and importing the video file into AE or is AE capable of importing 3D models and then animating in there?  By the way, the animation is a simple rotation to the right about 25 degrees and back to the left. Nothing fancy.

I will definatly look into Todd's blog. AE is a program that I have had some interest in for some time now, but could not justify the time spent learning a new program. Well...I think its now time. There are too many cool things that Premier just can't do.

Dean

• 7. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can fill shape layers with a gradient. The tools are not as sophisticated as those in illustrator, but I do it all the time. You can even animate gradient colors.

If you want to stick with AE, then a little handwork to shade your shape layers is all that is required.

• 8. Re: Converting AI files to shapes then extruding - lost my colors
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

I am a 3DS Max user. I've been using it for 7 years now and really enjoy it. Are you suggesting completely creating the swoosh in MAX as an animation and importing the video file into AE...

Indeed I am!  You will have far greater control over the image you want to create.  Do the entire logo in it.

As Mylenium often says, AE's 3D capabilities are limited.  Actually, he uses saltier language.