3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 12:33 PM by Peter Spier

Font Substitution Tables?

Studio1540 Level 1

We've recently switched to InDesign from QuarkXPress and something that we had used regularly to account for files coming from Microsoft Word, on Windows PCs, was the font substitution tables in QuarkXPress. With it, we could tell QuarkXPress, via it's preferences, to remember to use "NimrodMT" when it saw "Nimrod MT" in a Word document stylesheet. Same goes for "NimrodMT-Bold" when it encountered "Nimrod MT Bold," etc ... it's a little annoying to have to do this manually, especially when you're receiving 10-15 files per day where the process needs to be manually repeated.

Can anyone tell me if there exists such a feature in InDesign and where it can be found?

Thanx

• 1. Re: Font Substitution Tables?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I can't tell from your post if you are using Find Font or going one at a time through frames.

Find Font is still a manual process, but at least it can change all and change th style defs at the same time.

• 2. Re: Font Substitution Tables?
            Studio1540 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Maybe I should clarify ... When importing a Word document into QuarkXPress, if there are fonts that don't match you are presented with a dialog box asking you to find replacements. In that dialog you can also set the substitution as a rule so that whenever QuarkXPress encounters the "bad" font it will replace it with the one you selected as a "good" font no matter what document you are working on. If memory serves, you can also set a font substitution rule from the "Usage" window.

My question is this: Is there a way to make InDesign perform this same funtion?

• 3. Re: Font Substitution Tables?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Essentially, no. Find font allows to do the substitutions, but hter is no way to set a rule for the future.