8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 10:32 AM by groove25

Can't get hotspots to link

daleneil77

This is my first time using it. I created a page design from Photoshop, and then I imported it to Fireworks to do some editing. I’m doing fine with everything, except for using hot spots. I added hotspots option to my my buttons, and when I preview them, the cursor changes to the select option, but the page does not link. Can someone please help?

• 1. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
          groove25 Level 4

In Fireworks: With the hotspot selected, be sure to enter a URL in the Link field within the Properties panel.

• 2. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
            daleneil77 Level 1

Actually I did its internal pages that I designed thats in fireworks. like 5 other pages, that has the name of the page, and a ".html" at the end.

• 3. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
              groove25 Level 4

Well, if you're using the names of the pages plus ".html", be sure they all reside within the same folder. And you might want to go ahead and export any and all pages (using File > Export...) rather just previewing individual pages—if the pages haven't been exported into HTML, there's no way to click to them.

Also, if you're using ".html" in your URLs, be sure that the pages are being exported as ".html" and not ".htm". I notice that on my Fireworks version, ".htm" seems to be the default extension, but this can be changed by clicking on the Options button within the Export dialog, which opens up the HTML Setup dialog.

HTML Setup.png

• 4. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
                daleneil77 Level 1

well this is what I did, mine was already set to html as default, but im going to try what you did, and I would let you know.

• 5. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
                  groove25 Level 4

Ah, when you said 'preview', I thought you meant File > Preview In Browser. The Preview tab that you're selecting in your demonstration video is intended for previewing your image optimization settings (GIF, JPEG, PNG, etc.). Preview In Browser would be a more appropriate way to preview your pages as HTML. However, for a multi-page document, I think I'd still recommend that you export your Fireworks document using File > Export. Choose 'HTML and Images' (or possibly 'CSS and Images'), create a new folder for the files, and also choose 'All Pages'. Then open up the index page in your web browser, and give it a try.

• 6. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
                    daleneil77 Level 1

omg, u made my life so easy bro.....thanks alot, I have been asking other people, and they just gave me a run around. thanks again

• 7. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
                      daleneil77 Level 1

just one more question, if I want to export this to dreamweaver, for multi grid layout, whats the proper way?

• 8. Re: Can't get hotspots to link
                        groove25 Level 4

I'm unfamiliar with Dreamweaver's fluid grid layout feature. This demonstration video walks through the process of creating a file from scratch in DW, importing content from other HTML files:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-dreamweaver-cs6/using-fluid-grid-layouts/

Again, I'd suggest using Fireworks' File > Export, choosing 'HTML and Images' (or 'CSS and Images', or even both—you could export the file twice and see which version works better for you). These files could then be opened in Dreamweaver. If it's not possible to convert them directly to a 'fluid grid format'—and it may not be—you could create a new file for each page and, as in the video, copy and paste HTML content into the new fluid grid layout that you create.