6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 10:50 AM by JEShort01

How to get small enough RAM?

Cocovanna Level 1

I'm in the process of planning my next computer, which among others include:

- MB: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
      - CPU: i7-2600K
      - CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
      - Memory: 32 GB RAM

and have now realized, that this may lead to a conflict between the RAM boards and the CPU cooler. The cooler extends over one of the SIMM sockets, limiting the height of the RAM.

I am unable to find specifications for the max. height below the cooler, but it seems to be around 40 mm or "adequate for normal RAM boards".

As I want 32 GB RAM I need 8 GB boards, of which I considered:

- Corsair Vengeance 1600 (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10), on ASUS's QVL
      - Corsair Dominator 1600 (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10)

I actually prefer the Dominator, as the price difference is very low and I thought they were better fitted when overclocking.

Both thes boards are around 55-56 mm high, with a removable cooling grid at the Dominator reducing the height to about 44 mm.

It seems that my options are:

1) Find smaller RAM (any ideas? 8GB boards are not that frequent around here)
      2) Choose another CPU cooler
      3) Mount the Noctua with the main fan towards the SIMM sockets, raising the fan enough to make room for the RAM, eventually combined with removing the cooling grid.

Any thought and ideas? Especially concerning:

- My RAM choices, OC taken into account
      - Alternative low-height RAM suggestions
      - Is it safe to remove the cooling grid on one of the Dominators? Or should I move the fan fully 15mm?

• 1. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Generally speaking you don't need / want "small RAM"; servers in low height form factor cases often utilize low-profile RAM in controlled room environments and in servers with very high air-flow (VERY noisy too) inside of the case. You do want a soution that provides both clearance for your RAM and at least a little "breeze" going by your sticks to keep things cool.

Two kinds of CPU coolers would seem to work well for your situation: low profile and liquid (fan/pump/radiator) types. In your situation my first choice would probably be Noctura's highly rated NH-C12P SE14 low profile cooler. Or, most liquid cooling solutions will mount a small block on the cpu and provide lots of room for air to circulate around any RAM that you choose.

Regarding the RAM itself for your 32GB project, I would suggest neither of the Corsair sets that you mention. Corsair's www site RAM configuration shows zero models that they support in a 32GB configuration for your planned motherboard. I did not check out Asus's site, but sometimes a QVL can show a model of RAM but not necessarily fully populated (4 sticks in this case). If Asus has indeed tested the CMZ32GX kit with all 4 sticks, then ignore my concerns about Corsair's lack of support for this setup.

So far as alternatives, G. Skill's RAM configurator shows multiple models of RAM that they support for 4x8GB (32GB total) use in your planned Z77 mb. I would not suggest any of the 1.65v models. While fast RAM sounds fast, the load that the higher voltage puts on your CPU's memory controller does not sound like a tradeoff that I would want to make for any nominal gains you would see from the slightly higher RAM clock speed.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
            Cocovanna Level 1

Hi Jim,

tnx for your feedback.

It is true, that the Vengeance is not shown as a 32GB config at Corsair's site, but the Dominator is -- actually it is shown as a kit with 4 sticks -- or have I misunderstood you? That's one of the reasons I preferred Dominator (although the Vengeance is shown fully populated in the QVL).

I have searched for the G.Skill in 8GB sticks, but haven't found it (yet) :-(

• 3. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
              JEShort01 Level 4

For GSkill's RAM configurator, to to www.gskill.com and click on the "RAM Configurator" button on the home page.

• 4. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
                JEShort01 Level 4

From what I can tell, Asus shows the following 3 Corsair RAM kits for use with the P8Z77-V DFeluxe:

CMT32GX3M4X1866C9(Ver3.23)(XMP) - Dominator 1866 RAM $390 at Newegg

CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10(Ver3.23)(XMP) - Vengeance 1866 RAM $200 at Newegg

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 (Ver2.2)(XMP) - Vengeance 1600 RAM $185 at Newegg

To me this would indicate they have QVL'd the Vengeance at 32GB, but not the Dominator for the 1600 speed kits in your OP.

BTW, the Vengeance 1866 kit for $200 looks pretty attractive to me . Although

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
                  Cocovanna Level 1

Hi Jim,

I've had a look at the Noctua NH-C12P SE14, and it seems to have better specs than my first choice -- I suppose it should be mounted with the "skewed" side against the SIMMs (and the pipes pointing down). I'll check it out further.

Just out of curiosity, where did find the 3 kits shown by ASUS? When I look at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_DELUXE#MSL I only see the last one? I can get the Vengeance 1866 for almost the same as the 1600, so it surely looks good!

• 6. Re: How to get small enough RAM?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

The link you provide takes you to the exact place that I clicked on "Global (DLM)" to view Asus's 6/26/12 updated memory QVL to view the PDF that I was looking at.

Jim