6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 4:41 AM by station_two

CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files

a2h13y

Fault: Jobs do not complete but exit after second RAW file is read.

System: 2010 MacBookPro - Snow Leopard

Reproduceability: Intermittent - jobs tend to complete when Photoshop is launched but fail thereafter. Similar, inconsistent, behaviour when launched from Mini Bridge or within Photoshop

Seen elsewhere: NO! Same version of software on same OS works without fault on 2009 MacPro

Problem first observed: After switching from a D300 to a D800

Problem sources eliminated: Graphics Card

Other: Some reports of Ruler units being an issue - this was also eliminated as an issue. More system resources have been given to Photoshop in Preferences, without any measurable impact.

Adobe Technical Support: Claimed that this was not a recognised problem. A 30 minute phone call ensued that was focussed entirely on my level of entitlement to technical support which they were unable to ascertain from my licence and account. The advisor decided that he would escalate the problem, but only if I paid extra on top of my existing contract - a disappointing result.

• 1. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
          sudarshan.t Level 6

Maybe your Camera Raw is not consistent and is acting up. Did you try updating to the latest Adobe Camera RAW?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5390

• 2. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
            Level 5

Verbose post without relevant information. 

How much RAM do you have installed?  More importantly, how much available disk space?  Do you have a sufficiently large, physically separate, dedicated hard drive for Photoshop attached to that laptop?

The resources needed for HDR rendering are simply humongous!

Please provide full details of your allegedly excluded graphics video card.

Is snow Leopard updated to 10.6.8?  Is Photoshop updated to 13.0.1?

• 3. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
              a2h13y Level 1

Thanks to both of you:

I. I had run the updater for Adobe, which includes ACR updating. I did not explicitly check this, but the version installed was D800 compatible and was the same version as that on the MacPro, so this may not be the source of the inconsistency? Either way, it's a good point as manual installs of ACR are sometimes required.

II. System spec of the MacBook Pro is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM. The OS is updated to 10.6.8 (I put this in the header as a tag, but it does rather disappear!) Disk is a 500GB SSD (see later).

III. Allegedly excluded graphics card - I did try various settings for using the Graphics Processor, including deselecting it, without any improvement. Not definitive, but reasonable?

IV. I take station-two's point about resources - I had not appreciated just how much disk space was used and do not have an external disk connected. The 500 GB SSD had 50 GB free, sufficient, but that is tight enough to be a factor, especially since the MacPro has far more space, four times the cores, and far more memory!

Since updating to ACR 7.1 using the link supplied by Sudershan, ACRPro failed once but has worked 4 times in a row since. I will keep an eye on this and report back, but thanks for both your observations - the first thing I m going to do is liberate some more disk space!

• 4. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
                Level 5

a2h13y wrote:

...The 500 GB SSD had 50 GB free, sufficient, ..

"Sufficient"??! 

On the contrary, that is woefully inadequate

This is miserably little space even for ordinary work, let alone for HDR!

A lousy 50 GB is precariously little free space to be shared between the swap files of the OS and Photoshop scratch files, next to whatever invisible files you have there like your web browser cache files.

For Photoshop scratch files, figure on 100 times the size of your largest file or more multiplied by the number of files you have open.  It's not unheard of for the scratch files to bulge to several hundred GB under the right circumstances.

My CS6 system has a dedicated 400 GB hard drive as its primary Photoshop hard disk; my CS5 machine a 240 GB one.  I consider them both minimal Photoshop systems and I'm well aware that many power users have a lot more scratch files space. 

• 5. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
                  a2h13y Level 1

I agree - and on the MacPro I have TBs of free space. However this is a portable and it is used 'in the field'. The most Apple currently support is 768GB as a BTO and attaching a second drive isn't really an option (7 hours battery life would probably end up as 1!), so my point is whether 50GB would cause the HDR job to be dropped without generating an error? That shouldn't happen but I think that space, as you point out, is an obvious problem.

I have just removed the CS3 and CS5.5 installations to improve the available space and am aiming for 20% - which raised another question for me - other than licencing costs, do you see any benefits in running CS5 .. should I have kept it?

Thanks for your comments and help - much appreciated.

• 6. Re: CS6 HDRPro with D800 RAW Files
                    Level 5

I hate laptops.  Too bad we can't do without them.

a2h13y wrote:

… my point is whether 50GB would cause the HDR job to be dropped without generating an error?…

That is entirely possible.

a2h13y wrote:

…which raised another question for me - other than licencing costs, do you see any benefits in running CS5 .. should I have kept it?…

Well, you certainly don't need it.  The problem now is that if you didn't want to keep it, you should have uninstalled it before installing CS6.  If you uninstall CS5 now, you're very likely (almost certain) to damage your CS6 install. 

The solution would be to uninstall CS6 first, then uninstall CS5, run the AdobeCSClean script, and then re-install CS6 from scratch

a2h13y wrote:

…attaching a second drive isn't really an option (7 hours battery life would probably end up as 1!)…

Of course only a self-powered external HD with its own power supply would come into question, thereby affecting the portability of the laptop.