6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 9:23 AM by ProDesignTools

Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers

mythster Level 1

I have Premiere Pro on a Mac.

In Final Cut Pro we use Media Manager to move projects and it works pretty great. Is there a Premiere Equivalent?

I have media from a shoot that is duplicated on two computers. Each computer has a different project and edit associated with that meda. I would like put both projects on one machine.

I copied the project from computer A to computer B and re-linked the media, but the edit is screwed up. Is there a trick to this? Should I do some sort of media move too?

• 1. Re: Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I am not on a Mac. Does a Mac version have Project Manager? It should be under the Project menu.

If you have it, try "Collect Files and Copy to new Location".  Now that may mean to copy it to an external drive, then copy it again, but check it out and see if it helps.

Or, if you were more specific than

but the edit is screwed up
            it might be something simple.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers
            josephs51576386 Level 3

If you both have the exact same elements the edit should open up totally normal. Where I work we constantly give each other just the prproj file because we all have exactly the same editing elements, such as promos, lower-thirds, bumps, voiceovers, music, animations. So basically it's extremely simply because we have a folder structure for each program that we edit and that makes things extremely simple. So at the very most we have to relink 4-5 folders because once you re-link one thing a category/folder everything else is auto-pilot. Because Premiere then finds the rest of the stuff from that specific category inside the folder. So re-linking is fairly easy, as long as everyone keeps their folders correct.

However like Steven correctly mentioned you can go to project>project mananger and you copy all your clips to a new folder/location. You can make it create a trimmed version of the project or a full version of the project. But if you and the other person both have the exact same stuff then you shouldn't need to even use the project mananger, if you re-link all the media correctly there shouldn't have been any issue, I've done this literally 1,000 times and never had a problem unless I accidently mis-linked something.

• 4. Re: Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers
              mythster Level 1

Yes, Project Manager is very much like FCPs Media Manager so theat is great.

I was finally able to get his project conformed after he sent me the PRV folder. I'm not sure why that helped. I thought those were just render files.

There were three media files in the beginning of his sequence that matched up wrong but I just found the clips in the bin and unlinked them from the wrong files and relinked them to the right ones.

I even then imported my project into his so now I can take the best of both sequences and make a final cut so that is exactly what I wanted.

• 5. Re: Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers
                mythster Level 1

This looks terrific! thanks!

• 6. Re: Best Way to Share Premiere Pro Project Between Computers
                  ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

mythster wrote:

> Coming soon to a PP near you...

This looks terrific! thanks!

Update:

Note that with the recent 2017 release, Premiere Pro CC now supports new Team Projects functionality which offers a Media Management Panel to map, connect, relink distributed files that are part of a shared project...

This new online collaborative capability is available to all subscribers to Creative Cloud for Teams. Essentially, it uses the core of Adobe Anywhere [enterprise] technology mentioned above, and instead provides it as a cloud service for use by any teams member anywhere.