32 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 4:02 PM by PierreLouisBeranek

How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Thrill Media Level 2

How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"? I hate it, hate it, hate it. For those that love it... great. I am glad you do, keep working. I tried to adapt, but it just isn't worth the hassle. For me, I want it gone forever. Too much zooming, no simple ripple delete.

Again, if you love it, great! I want to turn it off, how about me adobe? I am so ready to move back to CS5.

• 1. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Make a request, then hope, and wait...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
            Thrill Media Level 2

THANK YOU ADOBE!!! Love the new update!

• 3. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
              shooternz Level 6

Why?  Whats changed?

• 4. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                Thrill Media Level 2

Well, the dynamic trim more like it used to be. Ripple delete is there but not all the choices. It isn't as sluggish.

Also noted that my editing speed seems quicker. I can jump around the timeline without a lag... drag the cti,  hit play and it works!!! Seems to have the same speed as CS5 used to, maybe quicker.

• 5. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee
                  • I think you are referring to "dynamic trimming mode" as "trimming" in general for CS6. Dynamic trimming is performed only in Trim Mode.
                  • If you don't like trim mode, you can trim in the Timeline or use the Trim Monitor.
                  • Yes, there is a bit more zooming involved with trimming in CS6 because of the icons. If you don't like the larger icons, you can swap them out for smaller ones: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/09/20/smaller-premiere-pro-cs6-trim-tool-icons/
                  • Ripple Delete is there: Shift+Forward Delete
                  • 6. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                    tclark513 Level 3

Kevin Monahan wrote:

• I think you are referring to "dynamic trimming mode" as "trimming" in general for CS6. Dynamic trimming is performed only in Trim Mode.
                    • If you don't like trim mode, you can trim in the Timeline or use the Trim Monitor.
                    • Yes, there is a bit more zooming involved with trimming in CS6 because of the icons. If you don't like the larger icons, you can swap them out for smaller ones: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/09/20/smaller-premiere-pro-cs 6-trim-tool-icons/
                    • Ripple Delete is there: Shift+Forward Delete

You don't have to use Phillip Blooms icons.  Just copy over those specific ones from CS5.  They work great.  Well at least better then the large ones.  It doesn't solve the timeline trimming "changes" in CS6.

• 7. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                      Thrill Media Level 2

My bad, it's still all there but doesn't seem like I need to zoom in as much? Is it just me?

• 8. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

tclark513 wrote:

It doesn't solve the timeline trimming "changes" in CS6.

Sorry you don't like the enhancements to trimming in CS6. I, for one, think it's a much more powerful environment for trimming over previous versions of Premiere Pro. However, feel free to make suggestions: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 9. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                          Thrill Media Level 2

I've already made suggestions, all I want is the option to turn it off.

I thought that the newest update had alleviated some of the problems with zooming to make an edit.

I appreciate the other tips to make it better by changing the icons so that it is not so clumsy.

Thanks

• 10. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                            tylermcleod

It's still clumsy. That solution only changes the size of the icons, it doesn't change the distance from the cut in which the icons switch over. That is the real problem.It's like it's made for little kids who can't point a cursor correctly or something? I don't get it at all. I am going back to Final Cut Pro.

• 12. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                              Thrill Media Level 2

It is more than clumsy, I think after this much time we can call it what it is... a disaster! I really thought Adobe would have fixed this by now and that hope is the only reason I am staying with CS6. Spend more time zooming than editing.

If some people like it, I get that which is why I agree with Jim's approach:

"Please add a new option under Edit>Preferences>General... labeled "Allow Edit Point Selection".  With this option checked, Premiere Pro would function as it does in CS6 and the user would be able to select edit points in the sequence.  With it unchecked, Premiere Pro would function as it did in 5.5 and no such selection would be possible."

If this is not corrected by the time my subscription ends this year, I will revert to CS5. CS6 hasn't given me so much that I need to tolerate this problem along with sluggish edits.

• 13. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Do copy/paste that quote into the Adobe wish form.  Enough people doing that is the best way to change things.  (That's how we got stuck with it in CS6.)

• 14. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                  Thrill Media Level 2

Hey Jim,

I have asked for this multiple times from Adobe... in fact, every time there is a new PP update I ask for it again. I can't believe how badly they have screwed this up. I have seen FCP editors flee PP because of this "feature".

• 15. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dont think you will see this changed in CS6 more likely (if they ever going to add the option) CS7.

• 16. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

This raises an interesting point

Folks who buy the disk aren't likely to get this 'corrected' in CS6.  Maybe CS6.5 or 7 as Ann points out.  But one major advantage of Creative Cloud is that we don't have to wait for a major release cycle to get major new features.  They can be rolled out as they become available, we means we could see them significantly sooner than someone who buys the disks.  Case in point, Photoshop received just such an update today.

I'd love this to be a feature Creative Cloud users see sooner rather than later.

• 17. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                        PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Hi Jim,

I fully agree with your FR about puting the power in the user's hands by giving the option of turning this feature on/off.

One thing I would add is that when selecting one or more edit points, these should get deselected upon moving the CTI or clicking anywhere in the Time Ruler or other part of the GUI.  Deselecting an edit point should not require clicking on a Timeline clip.  The fact that edit points remain selected is a constant source of annoyance in PP CS6.

Submitting my FR now.  Cheers

• 18. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That would rather defeat the purpose of EPS, though Pierre.  Selections should remain selected until they are non-selected, be it a clip, multiple clips or an edit point.  I just want the option to turn off the ability to select an edit point.

• 19. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi Jim,

You're right. What I wrote isn't the actual problem. My mistake.

The real problem is this:

1. If I select an edit point with the Selection Tool ('V'), for example, and then change to the Rolling Edit Tool, the cursor doesn't change while hovering over the currently selected edit point, and the only way to use the Rolling Edit Tool on the selected edit point is to first deselect it and then reselect it again. The same problem occurs vice versa.
                                            2. If I select an edit point's left side (outgoing clip) with the Selection Tool, but then want to select the right side at that same edit point (incoming clip), dragging the cursor over to the right side of the edit point has no effect (i.e. the cursor stubbornly remains a left-pointing arrow for editing the prior clip's out point).  The only way to select the right side of the edit point to first deselect the left side (i.e. click on any clip) and then select the right side.  The same problem occurs vice versa.

This is incredibly annoying and unexpected.  When switching tools, or hovering over the other side of an edit poing, the correct tool/cursor should appear, such that selecting the new desired edit point (in, out, or both), be a 1-click instead of the current 2-click nonsense.

Does this make sense?  Hopefully I've explained it clearly.  Do you think I should I log this as a Bug or Feature Request?  Thanks.

• 20. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Those are exactly the reasons I want to turn off EPS!  Please do copy/paste the request into the form.

• 21. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi Jim,

I completely agree with your suggestion of allowing users to turn EPS off, but Adobe also needs to fix it for users who choose to leave it on.  If they fix it as I suggest, then perhaps there wouldn't be such a need to turn EPS off.  However, each user knows best what works better for their own workflow and should therefore be allowed to make the final decision of using it or not instead of Adobe making the decision for all of us.  I'll submit a new Feature Request.  Cheers!

• 22. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi guys, as Jim suggests, you can make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I'll make sure that the Premiere Pro team knows about this one. I agree some tweaks might need to be made.

I'm surprised FCP switchers wouldn't like the way the Premiere Pro CS6 edit selection works. I think it's even better than FCP edit selection and there are a lot more options. 

• 23. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for chimming in and sharing our concerns with the PP team!  I actually really like the idea of Edit Point Selection in CS6, but unfortunately the problems I list above make what should be a great tool a new source of frustration in Premiere Pro.  Fixing the inconsistencies I mention would turn this into a super tool!

Kevin, how can I send you a PM?

Cheers

• 24. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                                      shooternz Level 6

Deselecting an edit point should not require clicking on a Timeline clip.  The fact that edit points remain selected is a constant source of annoyance in PP CS6.

Hi Pierre

I  have set up and use a few  kbd shortcuts in regard to some of your points in your threads if it helps.

CTRL-Shift - A  : Deselects Edit Point Selection  ( and all other selections)

Shift Z : Toggles between Edit Modes (My custom setting  - positioned for convenience)

Tip: Sometimes when I have an Edit Selection , I keep it selected and move it along the clips or either end of a clip, changing the modes (Shift-Z) as required.   This is a super fast and efficient way of editing in certain situations.

My other like of Edit Point Selections in editing involves using "E"  (Extend Edit to Playhead).  Combined with the above tip and shortcut keys.

I have said in another thread on same subject...I understand that Edit Selections aint for everyone and I agree an option would be good for them...but I dont want it broken how it is now.  Fact that Kevan suggested it could be tweaked ...WORRIES me!

I have seen Adobe break stuff in Premiere before with tweaks.  ( Feature Creep Syndrome) 

• 25. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

Hi Jim,

You're right. What I wrote isn't the actual problem. My mistake.

The real problem is this:

1. If I select an edit point with the Selection Tool ('V'), for example, and then change to the Rolling Edit Tool, the cursor doesn't change while hovering over the currently selected edit point, and the only way to use the Rolling Edit Tool on the selected edit point is to first deselect it and then reselect it again. The same problem occurs vice versa.

If you toggle the trim type to "Roll" after selecting the edit with a keyboard shortcut this is not necessary. It might take some getting used to, but see if that works for you.

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

1. If I select an edit point's left side (outgoing clip) with the Selection Tool, but then want to select the right side at that same edit point (incoming clip), dragging the cursor over to the right side of the edit point has no effect (i.e. the cursor stubbornly remains a left-pointing arrow for editing the prior clip's out point).  The only way to select the right side of the edit point to first deselect the left side (i.e. click on any clip) and then select the right side.  The same problem occurs vice versa.

Again, toggle the trim type with a keyboard shortcut (Shift-T is for Windows, Ctrl-T is for Mac), then your tool will appear and behave as expected.

It sounds like you wish to have the Final Cut Pro behavior, where the cursor that is chosen will appear over the edit, regardless of how the edit is selected. Note that here you must click to select the edit with the proper trim type before you drag the tool.

In Premiere Pro, the cursor will not change to the selected tool unless the edit is selected with the corresponding trim type. If you want to click and drag the trim tools as you did with Final Cut Pro, yes, you must deselect the selected edit point first.

Anyone can send me a PM at any time. I'm your representative to the Premiere Pro team.

• 26. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                                          shooternz Level 6

Glad to see there is at least one other editor as sharp as I am Kevin. 

• 27. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

shooternz wrote:

Glad to see there is at least one other editor as sharp as I am Kevin. 

Nice, thanks! I discovered some cool ways to slip and slide in Trim Mode the other day. I'll post the technique in a blog and link to it.

Here you go: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2013/01/18/slipping-and-sliding-in-trim-mode-in-premie re-pro-cs6/

• 28. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                                              tclark513 Level 3

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi guys, as Jim suggests, you can make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I'll make sure that the Premiere Pro team knows about this one. I agree some tweaks might need to be made.

I'm surprised FCP switchers wouldn't like the way the Premiere Pro CS6 edit selection works. I think it's even better than FCP edit selection and there are a lot more options. 

Kevin,

Is it "possible" we might see some of these tweaks incorporated into CS6.5?  I know you can't say for sure but that's why I asked if it was "possible".  I sure hope so!!!

Thanks for your input.

• 29. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Regarding any changes, I was just voicing my own opinion. If you filed your feature request, that's about all you can do. If enough people wanted a change and filed a feature request, anything is a possibility.

• 30. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the tips.

I learned editing on FCP, but it's been a while since I've switched over to Premiere, so my Feature Request isn't to make it work the way it does in FCP (didn't even remember that's how it works there), but rather to make EPS work as one would expect: select a tool, cursor changes to that tool, no exceptions. 

Shift-T can be helpful sometimes, but it isn't as intuitive/discoverable/user-friendly as the modification I suggested.  For example, if I have the left side of an edit point selected with Ripple Trim (yellow), and want to change the EPS to a Roll Edit using the Shift-T shortcut, it's 4 Shift-T clicks before I get to the tool I want.  If I then want to do a Roll Edit on another edit point, it's a 5th keypress to switch tools! (because Shift-T changes the type of Edit Point Selection, but does not change the selected tool itself)  With the little modification I suggest, selecting any type of EPS would always be a single keyboard shortcut away (or mouse move from the left to right side of a cut or vice versa)!  I'm all about efficiency, and if a simple workflow modification can get me the result I want in 1 click instead of 2, 3, 4 or 5 then that's the way I want it to work (and imagine everyone else who cares about efficiency would want it to work too).

Right-clicking on an EPS to reveal the context menu of EPS types, and Shift-T are all valid options, but 1 click is better than 2-5 clicks IMO.

Fingers crossed that Adobe has already fixed this or can still fix it on time for CS6.5!

Cheers

• 31. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?
                                                                    shooternz Level 6

If I then want to do a Roll Edit on another edit point, it's a 5th keypress to switch tools!

Pierre . As regards this....maybe this helps.

When editing  along a series of clips  and I have an EPS in action at any point...I move it to the next edit by using the Up / Down Arrow Keys.

Depending on my Track Targeting...I can hit any edit point over multiple layers ....or on just a single video layer.

FWIW: I have track Targeting set up  as Keyboard shortcuts and this makes it very simple.

• 32. Re: How do I turn off the "dynamic trim mode"?

Hi shooternz,

Thanks for the tip.  Yes, that's another way of getting the 'wrong' kind of EPS out of the way... an alternative to clicking on any clip to remove the current EPS.

It's still 2 steps vs 1 as suggested by my FR though, or in other words, 100% more work than should be necessary.