5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 5:31 AM by BobLevine

facing pages & reader spreads

r_tist Level 1

If I have facing pages and page one appears single, and pages 2-3 are connected as a double page spread. When I go to create a PDF, page 02 appears as a horizontal landscape with those 2 pages connected.

But for reader purposes, I am aware that allowing document pages to shuffle can allow splitting these up manually to get a PDF with single pages. - Can you remind me what the command would be to automatically generate the PDF with the pages split as singles to avoid the manual process?

also...

For printing purposes, is it correct that I leave them joined together if I want to print like a book?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: facing pages & reader spreads
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

DO NOT select spreads when exporting the PDF. AFAIC this setting is only useful for proofing purposes when dealing with individuals that have no idea how to use Acrobat’s view settings.

Bob

• 2. Re: facing pages & reader spreads
            r_tist Level 1

OK, thanks...how about for this:

a) For printing purposes, is it correct that I leave them joined together if I want to print like a book? (just want to be sure!)

b) Page #s will auto-populate and correct themselves if on a master regardless of if I add or remove pages here & there, correct?

If you could just confirm that would be helpful, thanks!

• 3. Re: facing pages & reader spreads
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For printing a book it is vital that the pages NOT be joined together in the PDF. Page 2 gets pinted on the back of page 1. The exact pattern for the printers spreads is determined by the page count and the binding method.

You can demonstrate this for yourself by first folding a piece of paper into eighths (for a convenient count) and writing a series of consecutive number on the folded panels as you work through from front to back, then un-fold the sheet. Now take two sheets of paper and fold each in half, then unfold. Write numbers on the sheets flat in front of you as they would appear to you as a reader, then put the sheets together and try to read the book.

page number markers on the master page should update on the live pages when you cahnge the page order or page count.

• 4. Re: facing pages & reader spreads
                r_tist Level 1

What is the 'command' to disjoin all of them in the pages panel, in InDesign? (so as not to do manually)

You are suggesting this is the way to go and that, that would be most appropriate for the print house, am I following?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: facing pages & reader spreads
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Leave them alone in the pages panel and export to PDF without the spreads setting selected.

And make sure you're using Adobe PDF (Print), not Adobe PDF (Interactive).

Bob