5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 1:40 PM by Peter Spier

Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other

PauletteP2 Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to get the correct footer on the correct page. I create proposals, and I have a 2-page master called "Proposal Base". The screenshots are below. I have created two text boxes on each, one for the information I want to show on that page, and one for the page number. All text is set to "Away from Center".

Left Page:

Left Footer.JPG

Right Page:

Right Footer.JPG

So here's the problem:

I have some one-page masters that are based on Proposal Base, but I don't know if they're going to be placed on the left or the right. I have to customize each proposal, so I usually end up overwriting all master page items anyway.

I keep ending up with this:

Jumbled footer.JPG

I either get a jumble or I get the company name on both sides. I want it consisten throughout the document, Company Name on the left side and web site on the right. How can I accomplish this? Should I apply "Proposal Base" throughout the document, then override all master page items, then apply the other masters (with the footers taken out of them?) I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other
          janicevaneck

I would make your single page masters, double page masters. Just copy and paste the same info on both the left and the right. Add your folios appropriately and then whether you start on a left or right, you'll have the correct folio info and you won't have to override.

• 2. Re: Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other
            PauletteP2 Level 1

That would work, except that sometimes I have to slip in a single page unexpectedly toward the end of a document. That would throw things off.

• 3. Re: Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm having some trouble here understanding the problem.

If there shold be a different footer left and right, then you should be doing as Janice suggests and use a two page master. Adding a single page will swap all following pages left for right, and the footers will change to match. The footer on the new page will also be appropriate fo the side of the spine on which it is placed. It sounds to me like you don't need this single page master at all if it has the same footer information. If you need a master with no footer, you can add that, however.

PauletteP2 wrote:

That would work, except that sometimes I have to slip in a single page unexpectedly toward the end of a document. That would throw things off.

Well, would it? Shouldn't the footers change sides if you add only one page?

• 4. Re: Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other
                PauletteP2 Level 1

The problem is the secondary level of masters, to which are applied the Proposal Base. These are, for example, one-page product sheets. I may add in one, two, three or four products. And on the product sheets, I can only base those one-page masters on one side of the two-page Proposal base or the other. So when I apply those to the document, no matter what side they're on, they'll use either the left or the right page, whatever they were created on.

• 5. Re: Getting the company on one footer, and the web site on the other
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

One of us isn't getting this. If the page is based on a two-page master, even if it's only one page, it will use the side that corresponds to the positon in the document. There's no reason I can see why you think you must make these product data sheet masters only one page. Repeat waht needs to be there on both pages, and mirror anything that should be mirrored.

And if you find yourself overriding master objects you need to ask yourself very seriously if those objects belong on a master page at all.