4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 10:09 PM by TinRobot44

Trouble with finding the right brush

TinRobot44 Level 1

I have been using Sketchbook Pro of late for drawing with my Cintiq because it has some great, natual looking brushes, right there and easy to use.  I figure that Photoshop must be able to do the same thing, but I can't see how.  Photoshop is much more powerful and useful, but I find that I need to use Sketchbook Pro to draw, but can't see that this should be.  Does anyone know how to achieve the natural brushes I want, as below?  The top three are the same brush at different sizes.  They approximate a kind of charcoal look. The bottom two are two different brushes which I find useful for shading.  How do I get brushes like this in Pnotoshop?

Brush lines.png

• 1. Re: Trouble with finding the right brush
          conroy Level 5

Load up some of the natural and textured brush sets from the dropdown at top right of Brush Presets panel. When you find brushes that you like, learn how they're constructed in the Brush panel. Save presets of your own choice, either variations of supplied brushes or ones that you've invented. Also, you can add pattern sets to Photoshop for use as brush textures.

Screen shot 2012-09-18 at 21.31.12.png

• 2. Re: Trouble with finding the right brush
            TinRobot44 Level 1

This is great, thanks.  So the brushes are all there, I just have to find them.  Once I do, I can't see how to make my own package of brushes that I want.  Actually, I do.  I can see that I can edit the Preset Manager, but while the brushes appear to have names if you click on them, those names don't show up.  Only the number, like brush "36" for instance.  Is there a way for me to choose say, a dozen brushes and have them displayed nicely on a floating window so that I can easily pick between them?  Can I make two sets and open one, close the other, etc.  ?

• 3. Re: Trouble with finding the right brush
              conroy Level 5

You can make as many sets as you like and load one set at a time or append the contents of sets to the currently open collection. The names of brush presets can be displayed - look in the dropdown at top-right of the panel.

Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 00.11.03.png

• 4. Re: Trouble with finding the right brush
                TinRobot44 Level 1

Ah, that little drop down menu!  Thanks again Conroy.