7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 3:27 AM by Peter Spier

Fit frame to content with threaded frames?

DebbieBerne

Hi all,

Here's an issue I've been struggling with forever.

I am designing cookbooks in InDesign and I  want a way to snap my text frame to the content for threaded text. If I hit "enter" so text jumps to next frame/column I then want the frame to snap to the bottom of that text. But it won't. So then I thought,  if I create a table those cells will snap nicely to the content. But alas, tables won't support the threaded text that I have to use.

Does this question make sense? I  can't figure out a way to create consistent spacing between text boxes when those text boxes have different lengths of type within them.

Does anyone else struggle with this issue? Has anyone found some sort of solution?

Any help, much appreciated.

Debbie Berne

CS5

• 1. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sadly, fit frame to content only works on the last frame in a thread.

• 2. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?
            DebbieBerne Level 1

That IS sad. So what is the workaround? Anyone?

• 3. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?

Out of curiosity, why do you need to sanap the frame? Is there an applied stroke or a fill on the frame?

• 4. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?
                DebbieBerne Level 1

I am working on cookbooks where there is a text block on top (the headnote, say 5" wide) with two text blocks below that The ingredients, say 2" wide and beside that the directions, say 3" wide). The length of the headnote varies somewhat. I want the space between the headnote and the ingredients/directions below it always to remain consistent.So, I'd like to be able to snap that headnote text block to content and then use the distribute spacing tool to keep the same distance, say 1/4 inch, between that and the lower boxes. Problem is, as you might guess, the bottom of my headnote box is not exact--it's hard (and time-consuming) to try to fit the box manually.

Does that make sense? Have an idea for another way to handle this?

Thanks for your interest

-Debbie

• 5. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?

If you were using even column widths you might be able to do this with a head note style that spanned the columns (span and split columns was introduced in CS5, but only works within a single frame -- you can't span across multiple frames, and you can't have unbalanced coulumn widths in a multi-column frame).

Without that, perhaps a single cell table to hold the head note as the first paragraph on the page, the cell height would expand/contract to fit the text, or cut the head not from the text flow, paste int it's own frame, cut that frame and paste as the first character in the next paragraph as an inline anchored object. That fame can be fit to content as it isn't threaded, and you can apply text wrap to the inline to force the following text below it. The probelm here is that the inline can't be wider than the frame (a table can be), so you'd need a full-width frame, and a paragraph style for the following text that would have a huge right indent to make it look like it was in a narrower column. Add a second, narrower frame, on top of this one to its tight and thread the two. Not tested, but I think it would work.

• 6. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?
                    DebbieBerne Level 1

Whoa. That is a crazy idea! If I could even follow it--which I probably could if I really focused--I think the problem is that I really can't cut the head from the text flow as I am laying in 200 recipes to a book and it's just not feasible.

The idea of the huge right (or left) indent is interesting though. Could I keep it all in ONE text frame--and just use a space after--if I used a huge right indent for left hand column and then plop a second column on top of that. Maybe that second column would be easier to align . . . anyway you've got me thinking in new ways about this, which is helpful.

I sure wish they would fix that snap to content thing though. . .

best Debbie

• 7. Re: Fit frame to content with threaded frames?

The only problem with leaving the heading in the running text and using space after with an overlapping frame is there's no way to automatically push the text in that frame below the heading. That was the reason for using the anchored object -- so you could apply text wrap. You'd find yourself adjusting 200 frames to match the top of the left column.

You might want to pay a trip over to scripting. This is the sort of problem that would crop up a lot in catalog work (and cookbooks), and it's possible that someone has figured out some automation fro pulling the heads out and putting them in a table (Dave Saunders used to have a "head straddler" script that did that) or for anchoring them, which might make your life a bit easier.

InDesign Scripting