15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2012 11:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

memark3

So it took me a week or so to get to try out the answer I'd gotten, & I couldn't get that answer to work, and then my follow-up question didn't get answered, which makes me wonder if threads & discussions kinda die if they're not kept up? (I'm not very experienced in how these forums work, apologies).  In case that is the case, I'm starting this new one, but refer you back to the old (unfinished) one.  Just scroll down to the last few exchanges to get the gist of it.  Thanks . . .  Mark

the previous discussion:   http://forums.adobe.com/message/4663058  

• 1. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wouldn't it have been easier to just post your question to the end of that discussion, so that it would move to the top of the discussions again?

How about re-capping what you have tried and what the results were so that we don't have to link to the old discussion and re-read it?

Besides, on the old discussion it looks like we did come to some resolution. What issue exactly is it that you want resolved?

If you match your project settings to your video specs you will get excellent output. If you don't, you won't.

• 2. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
            memark3 Level 1

Steve--Sorry if this approach wasn't the best--as I said, I'm not well-versed in forum protocol-- but I did post it last week to the end of that discussion as you recommended but didn't get a response, so I wasn't sure how best to proceed from there.  Anyway, hopefully this works ok for you.  Here's a copy of the relevant exchange. I'd written:  "I'm using a Lumix DMC-ZS7 which, on the small test I did, was set to 640x480 & is a MOV file, and while the "correct" preset choice isn't there, there is probably a best choice among the many choices that are there, and that is my question--which should I choose for this particular clip at this resolution?  Both for quality & cross-platform usability?  The camera also has AVCHD Lite", whose specs read: -- SH: 17Mbps /H:13Mbps /L:9Mbps ) / 30fps (Motion JPEG)   1280x720 pixels, NTSC Mode: NTSC model: 60p(CCD output is 30p)."

You wrote back:  "Shoot in AVCHD Lite and, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, select the project settings for AVCHD Lite and you should get much better results.

Obviously, your video is not going to look perfect at full screen on a computer no matter what output settings you use. Your monitor is likely larger than 1280x720. But you should then be able to output using Share/Disc/WMV setting your output for 1280x720 using the Advanced settings."

And here's my follow-up, & hopefully final, question, from last week:

"Hi Steve-- I just now had time to try out your recommendation--and I will in the future shoot in AVCHD Lite--but for the existing mpeg stuff--I could not find the settings you recommended.  ("Obviously, your video is not going to look perfect at full screen on a computer no matter what output settings you use. Your monitor is likely larger than 1280x720. But you should then be able to output using Share/Disc/WMV setting your output for 1280x720 using the Advanced settings.")  Firstly, I took this to be your answer to my question of how best to save mpegs, not AVCHD Lite, am I right there?  Under Share/Disc I couldn't find any WMV settings whatsoever in any of the choices, nor was there any Advanced option.  Under Share/Computer there is the Advanced option--but again, I couldn't find a WMV setting.   I did find 1280x720 under the Share/Computer/mpeg presets, as a couple HD 720 options & three HDTV 720 options.  If indeed one of those is the best choice--which one?  Or is your original suggestion still the one, with its non-obvious location to be revealed?  (by the way, I've got Premiere v10.0).

Question 2-- when I do start using the AVCHD lite, is there any one preset you can advise as the best one to use?

Thanks again--Mark

and thanks again again--Mark

• 3. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

For output? It depends on what you're going to use your output for.

If you're going to use to for a DVD, the settings are different than if you're going to use it for a BluRay -- and these are different than if you're going to post it on-line, in which case you wouldn't use an MPEG at all.

• 5. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

That's not really specific enough.

What kind of TV? What kind of device are you going to play it with? How do you plan to display it on your computer? Are you going to just sit and watch it on your laptop or are you going to project it to an audience or share it online?

As I keep saying, every situation has specific needs. And your TV plays videos very differently than your computer. (In fact, an HDTV plays video different than a standard TV!)

• 6. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                  memark3 Level 1

wow, this is a lot more complicated than I ever imagined--requires becoming a semi-pro!  So it's mostly for viewing on a 17" laptop, and a 55" lcd HDTV.

'

• 7. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

I'm sorry, memark. I can't help you if you won't answer my questions. It doesn't have to be complicated. Just specific.

What device (DVD player, BluRay player, Apple TV, VCR, etc.) are you going to be playing your video to your TV on?

And are you really just going to sit with our laptop on your lap, watching your video? You don't plan to share it with anyone else?

With video, you really do need to start at the end to get to the beginning. Once you know our ultimate destination, it's easy to figure out how to get there. But you do need to know what it's all heading.

• 8. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                      memark3 Level 1

sorry Steve, I thought I did answer your question in my last post-- as I said, a 17" laptop & a 55" LCD LED HDTV.  I can't imagine you need actual model info?  But just in case--HP G71 & Vizio XVT553SV.   No projections, no online postings. Your earlier posting suggests that optimally it should be a different preset for the laptop vs TV, which is fine, no big deal to save multiple versions in various preset formats.

• 9. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

I'm sorry, memark. Unless you're transmitting your video as a television signal, a TV can only play video if it's being played on a device, like a VCR, Tivo, DVD player, etc. Unless your TV has the ability for you to just copy computer files it and play it that way. But every TV I know needs a device plugged into it to play the video it displays.

Your TV is a display. Like your computer monitor. It needs some sort of playback device to turn your video files into video.

I'm not sure why this question is posing such a challenge. But maybe it would be best if I just bowed out and let someone else continue this discussion. We're apparently not communicating. I'm sorry.

• 10. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                          memark3 Level 1

hey Steve -- ohhh--now I see what you're getting at--the playback/storage device-- I thought you just needed to know the screen.  So the playing/storage device that feeds the TV would most likely still be the laptop, through the HDMI cable.  It's possible, but less likely, that I would maybe sometimes feed it off a USB thumbdrive that can be plugged directly into the TV.  The third & least likely possibility would be burning it to DVD--though I don't actually forsee a great likelihood for that, but you never know.  Sorry about our communication struggles--hopefully this last clarification will suffice to clear the air & the long path to the answer at last!  And that you can give it that one more round--'cause frankly, I don't know who else to ask.  So please--hang in there!

thanks--Mark

• 11. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

Use Share/Computer/AVCHD with the Vimeo HD preset. Should look as good as the original footage.

Although, as we've already, the quality of your output will only be top-notch if your project settings match your source footage precisely.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                              memark3 Level 1

ok, great, thanks--but there's still one final unanswered thing, which was also the very 1st question. so we can complete the circle & end where we started--what's the best preset to use for a project shot as mpeg?   (To reiterate--you had previously said to set output for 1280x720 WAV, but I couldn't find a WAV option.  I did find 1280x720 under the Share/Computer/mpeg presets, as a couple HD 720 options & three HDTV 720 options.  If indeed one of those is the best choice--which one?  Or something else?)

thanks again . . . .

• 13. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?

As I've said: Shoot in 1280x720 and, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, select the project settings for AVCHD Lite.

Then, to output your finished movie, Share/Computer/AVCHD with the Vimeo HD preset.

• 14. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                                  memark3 Level 1

I fully understand that--it's the 2nd question, which is about working with older clips that were already shot, most typically an mpeg shot at 640 x 480 (also some at 848 x 480 I believe)  & has an MOV extension.

• 15. Re: Reposting a question that didn't get answered in previous post: best preset to save mpeg project?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not have a Preset for 640 x 480, and most likely with Square Pixels, i.e. PAR - 1.0.

That is a fairly new Video format, and is being done mostly in stills cameras, that also shoot Video. It's a bit of laziness on the camera mfgr's. as there is not Video standard for 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0. As the Still Images are PAR = 1.0, the mfgrs. just decided to use that, instead of the Video standards of 720 x 480 with PAR = 1.2, or PAR = 0.9 (for NTSC). However, with more still camera mfgrs. opting for this format, I would guess that PrE might add it, come the release of PrE 11, but do not know for certain.

In the meantime, one can Import the 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0 Clips into an SD Video Preset, and then use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to fill the Frame, or they can use Interpret Footage, and change the PAR in the Clip, but there IS a caveat - by changing the PAR, some distortion will take place. Look carefully at the results, and decide which method one wants to use.

Premiere Pro allows for a Custom Preset, where the parameters can be changed, to suit odd footage. I have filed Feature Requests for PrE to add that Custom Preset, but so far, no go. Maybe PrE 11?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I woud edit different footage in a Preset that matches it, as closely, as possible, and then Share that Timeline, to try and match any different footage. When one tries to mix different footage, problems almost always crop up.

1 person found this helpful