26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 3:08 PM by Jim_Simon

MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

newmarketchannel13 Level 1

I have a Caono XA10 which produces MTS files which CS6 can handle, however if I record a long event I get a series of 2gig files and I have no way to combine them.

If I way the whole video on the timeline Premiere drops a frame as it passes from one video to the next. (This isn't a preview issue since it also renders the video that way as well.)

Now I had a similar issue with my Datavideo HDR40 Digital Recorder which also splits video into 2gig pieces but the fix was Datavideo has a Combiner utility.

However, Canon doesn't have such a thing and it would be useful if perfaps Adobe could find a cure for this problem.

Does anyone know how to work around this????

In the meantime I guess my student will just have to look like idiots with video that skip every 8 minutes which is not acceptable.

• 1. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
          SimonHy Level 2

A thread with details of the CS6 spanned AVCHD clips issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?tstart=30

Some people are having the issue, some are not. The work around seems to be to join them together in CS5.5, where AVCHD doesn't have this issue, or use a Clip Wrap-type utility to correctly join them.

• 2. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

That advice would be useful, if I still had CS5.5

Thank you for the link to the earlier thread and I havent deleted any of the media cache or xmp files.

That is something I do from time to time since I'm forever having clips in timeline stop playing audio for no reason and once I dump the cache it works fine.

It doens't make any sense that user should have to look for a quirky piece of third party software that they most like have to purchase just to edit the files that come out of the camera.

Now this camera does have a way to transcode the files to SD mpeg2 files and since my final output will be SD anyway I wonder if I should try that.

Anyway if these file worked fine in earlier versions of Premiere Pro why dont they in CS6???

• 3. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
              SimonHy Level 2

newmarketchannel13 wrote:

It doens't make any sense that user should have to look for a quirky piece of third party software that they most like have to purchase just to edit the files that come out of the camera.

Anyway if these file worked fine in earlier versions of Premiere Pro why dont they in CS6???

It's a bug. They changed a lot under the hood in the upgrade to CS6, apparently a change to an underlying codec is causing the issue with long .mts takes. These are workarounds to get you going, not fixes. It's my opinion that Adobe will be working very hard on this issue behind the scenes.

If you're on a PC, the quirky bit of software is free, and merely joins the clips together, not re-encode them anyway, so it's very fast and easy from what I've heard.:

http://vontraining.net/download/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The spanned clips bug others are talking about is something different from what you're seeing and may not apply here.

Make sure you copy the entire card over to your hard drive and use PP's Media Browser for import.  You need the entire PRIVATE folder intact, not just the MTS files.

• 5. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

Thank you i will give the converter a try.

I'm attempting to use the XA10's HD to SD conversion but it's doing it in real-time which is kinda pointless. It's literally playing the HD video off the Hard Drive and recording it in SD onto the card.

Copy the whole PRIVATE FOLDER huh? I will try that too.

I talked to Canon and they suggested I use the PIXELA importer utility that comes with the camera to import the files, i did that and the result was the same.

I was told that none of the NLE programs are having issues with these files so it must be a bug in Premiere that needs to be worked and I have faith in you guys.

• 6. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                    SimonHy Level 2

It might be a different issue, but when spanned clips weren't working for me they were doing what the original poster described; dropping a frame in between when you tried to run two clips together on the timeline.

Obviously if they're not copying the whole Private directory than yes, they should do that.

• 7. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I talked to Canon and they suggested I use the PIXELA importer utility

Don't use anything other than Windows Explorer or Finder (on a Mac) to copy the PRIVATE folder over.

• 8. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

I will try importing the whole PRIVATE folder.

I did download that MTS combiner from that videographer's site and combined all the files from yesterday shoot but the computer was busy rendering something and Premiere was lagging on the import.

I will try again later.

Premiere usually takes a while to load  the large combined M2T files (10 to 25gigs)  i get from my Datavideo HDR40 so I'm guessing this will be he same deal with these combined MTS files. I generally import files, PP will sit there with not even a status bar to tell me it's importing, and as long as i leave it alone I can expect that 20minutes or and hour later it will be done.

So I get a lot of movie and tv watching during the work day instead of editing while I wait for PP to load these huge files.

• 9. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I will try importing the whole PRIVATE folder.

You don't 'import' the PRIVATE folder.  You copy it from the SD card to your hard drive.  You then use PP's Media Browser to go to that folder.  Dig down a level or two and you'll see all your media.  Import from there.

• 10. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

Well there isn't a PRIVATE folder on the Canon XA10 so I'm importing the omnly folder I can see that's useful which is the AVCHD folder.

Also tried importing the combined MTS file that was made by that file combiner utility and PP is still sitting doign nothing after 30 minutes.

• 11. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

The PRIVATE folder is one up from the AVCHD folder.

• 12. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video

On the Canon XA10 there isn't PRIVATE Folder on the cameras hard drive, one step up is just the drive itself.

When I copied the AVCHD folder over to my hard drive and opened up PP. I searched the STREAMS folder and imported the files from yesterday into PP.

What happened was all the files related to the long video (in this case the first half and secong half of a game) all showed in PP as having all the same length which was thr whole length of the half.

Long story short the files seemed to have combined themselves and everything is fine. It's a little messy way to have to import the files and perhaps it's something that could be fixed.

So thank you for the suggestions.

• 13. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The only way to really fix it is for camera makers to invent a new format that doesn't use folder structures and records video, audio, timecode, etc. into one MXF file onto media using NTFS or exFAT file systems so that spanning isn't necessary.

In other words, something they should have done in the first place.

• 14. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                    Audio Stops Coming Thru

I have a similar problem with footage shot on my Sony FS700, except I get one frame of audio drop-out at the end of the 1st split file, then a freeze frame of the first frame on the 2nd part of the file.

Even though I am importing the files into a AVCHD project within Prem CS6, it still does it.

This is a very painful bug, and was one of the main reasons I left Edius and went to Prem back in version CS 5....because it never had this problem is CS 5.

Now in CS 6, the problem is back, right in the middle of my busy season of filming long events.

I'm not a happy fellow.

I have to import and convert the files with the PAVTUBE MTS Converter program, which burns up more disk space, and burns up more time while I wait for it to convert all the files to MOV files. It takes a day to convert 2 hours of files!!

Come on Adobe....fix this feckin problem NOW!!!!

• 15. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                      SimonHy Level 2

We have the FS700, and are able to edit natively from it fine. Are you importing the whole "PRIVATE" folder, or individual clips? Import the PRIVATE folder and it should merge the clips.

I've found that if the spanned clips are say 3 clips long, it'll then still bring in all 3 clips as separate clips, but the first one clip will be merged with a duration of all three, whereas the other two clips will be just their parts. But you can delete them and

will be left with just the merged one.

• 16. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

It sounds like you're not doing things correctly, Simon.

When you copy the top level folder from the camera (or card) to the hard drive using Windows Explorer (or Finder), leave the entire folder intact, without renaming or deleting anything, and then use PP's Media Browser to navigate to that folder, then you will not even see the second or third spanned files in the list, much less have them imported.

The only way to get those spanned files imported individually is if you use the old import methods rather than the Media Browser.

• 17. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                          SimonHy Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

It sounds like you're not doing things correctly, Simon.

When you copy the top level folder from the camera (or card) to the hard drive using Windows Explorer (or Finder), leave the entire folder intact, without renaming or deleting anything, and then use PP's Media Browser to navigate to that folder,

Actually that's exactly what I'm doing, and these are the results I'm getting.

• 18. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

That's not normal.

Can you post a screen shot of the Media Browser?

• 19. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                              SimonHy Level 2

I'm a bit busy, working with a director today. They'd rather I didn't spend time uploading screen shots, will try another time.

All the clips are visible in the media browser though, it shows 3 clips in a row all with the same starting frame and the same duration. It works this way on multiple computers here. I assumed that it was due to spanned clips still being a bit problematic, seeing as it is actually joining the first one and I can get on and work, I haven't worried much about it.

• 20. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

It's not supposed to work that way.  (And doesn't on my end with GH2 media.)

Do you also have spanned clip issues, where playback and navigation get real slow and hard drive usage jumps?

• 21. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                  SimonHy Level 2

Nope, all works fine otherwise. Just the one odd thing where it brings the spanned clip PLUS the segments.

• 23. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                    photo jon

Found this thread while researching a similar issue and was wondering if anyone had some ideas.

I recently used an XA10 camcorder to record a Boy Scout Ceremony.  I am trying to edit it in premier pro CS5.  Here is the procedure and what I am seeing:

I had the camcorder set to record directly to "SD Card A".  I took the SD card out of the camera and used a card reader to copy the entire card to my computer.  I then created a new project in PP and used the "media browser" to locate the "Private" folder.  I then right clicked on that folder and choose import.  After a few minutes PP has a pop up about some files not being imported because of a non supported format but it does correctly find 10 .MTS files.

I drag those files to the timeline and then preview them. It appears 6 of the files are exact duplicates (although they have different file names) and the 4 remaining files are also duplicates.

Any guess the differences in these files and what I might be doing wrong?  This is a pretty simple project so I can simply delete the duplicates if that the prescribed direction but would like to understand the behavior before I take on any more complicated projects.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 24. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

used the "media browser" to locate the "Private" folder.  I then right clicked on that folder.

Double click on it, and keep doing that until you see actual clips.  Select those and Import.

• 25. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                        photo jon Level 1

Jim- thanks for the quick response.  That did the trick.  After double clicking it show'd only two clips.  In this case named "13" and "19".  Any idea what is housed in those other clips that show up when you navigate but not when you "double click"?

My understanding is that some of the professional camcorders have multiple files for internal as well as XLR audio but I don't think the XA10 supports that.  It would be great to know what all the files do.   Any chance you have a link refrencing the Canon directory structure?

Thanks

Jon

• 26. Re: MTS Files Drop Frames Between Each Video
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

In order to keep compatibility with Macs, which can't natively read and write to the superior NTFS file format, camera makers use the FAT32 format for the cards used in recording.  FAT32 only allows 4GB files, so any time you have a longer clip, it gets broken up into multiple files.  This is called 'spanning'.  PP understands this and shows you only the first file of that one clip.  The 'missing' files are the rest of that clip.

Hopefully, future cameras will allow the use of the newer exFAT format, which newer Macs can natively read and write to, and which allow much larger file sizes.  This would mean one file per clip, no more spanning.

Please do write a letter to Canon expressing your desire to use the exFAT format in their cameras.