7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 8:05 AM by rob day

Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?

talltim1 Level 1

We always made our PDFs as PDFX1A (PDF 1.3) and included a color profile. In the Output section of the job options we also had that color profile selected in output intents. We have switched to PDF 1.4 and the output intents are greyed out. What difference does that make to us. Also, I take it we should have Include Destination Profile turned on to include the color profile with the PDF?

T

Picture 44.png

• 1. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To include an Output Intent Profile you have to have the Standard set to one of the PDF/X standards. When you include an output intent profile that profile is used as the default source profile in Acrobat when you  print separations or when you are looking at Output Preview.

• 2. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?
            talltim1 Level 1

Oh hi Rob, thanks for the reply. I have talked to you by phone (some time ago).

I guess my concern is that we use pitstop to preflight and in the preflight report I can see it uses, for example, ISO Coated as the output intent and that is the colour profile used for that PDF.

But when exporting to PDF 1.4, and even though the job option still has ISO Coated selected (as in screenshot above) I can't see anywhere in the peflight report saying the PDF is using  the ISO Coated colour profile. How do I know the PDF is using that profile?

When making a PDF 1.3 the profile inclusion policy was greyed out so never had to deal with that, but PDF 1.4 that is now a choice... should I say include or not include on that?

• 3. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?

Hi Tim, I can't help you with PitStop—I think there are regulars here that can.

AcrobatX preflight will give you  profile info. Try List objects using ICCbased CMYK, Overview. Here I converted everything to Japan Color 2001 Coated and included profiles:

Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 5.32.25 PM.png

If you are wanting live transparency, to include profiles and to include an output intent; why not PDF/X-4? Something like this:

Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 5.43.16 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?
                talltim1 Level 1

Thanks Rob, I did that check on the PDF using the joboptions settings in my screenshot at the very first post in this thread.

I've attached a screen shot here showing the result of the Acrobat pre-flight that you showed me and it doesn't mention the ISO Coated colour profile.

I guess my question is how do I make the PDF so it is using the colour profile... do I have to use the PDFX4 setting? If I do is that widely accepted at printers around the world or would we run into issues?

Thanks, Tim

Picture 49.png

• 5. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?

I've attached a screen shot here showing the result of the Acrobat pre-flight that you showed me and it doesn't mention the ISO Coated colour profile.

I tried again with your  settings (Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)), and the profile shows in preflight for me, so I'm not sure what's going on. Did you try list objects using ICC/Lab/calibrated color?

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 10.14.46 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 10.14.01 AM.png

do I have to use the PDFX4 setting? If I do is that widely accepted at printers around the world or would we run into issues?

I think Adobe is pushing everything to be PDF/X-4. If your aim is to get everything into one CMYK space, have live transparency, include profiles, and let the printers know the intended press profile is ISO Coated then you could do something like this:

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 10.23.03 AM.png

This thread might help or complicate matters:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4712142#4712142

• 6. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?
                    talltim1 Level 1

OK, I'll go back and start over in case I messed up along the way.

But while I have you, a quick image compression question. When downsampling images to 300, is there any reason for not having "for every image above 301" instead of "for every image above 450", which is the default.

Many thanks, Tim

• 7. Re: Changing from PDF 1.3 to 1.4, output intents?

I don't see why it would be a problem, it should work as advertised you won't get any images over 300ppi

1 person found this helpful