6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 9:19 AM by John T Smith

Requirements laptop: HDD

mariusschaeffer

Hello,

I am planning to buy a new laptop, using it for photoshop and premiere elements 10. I have read the following requirements in the adobe forum:

"For effective HD video editing, a laptop with the following:

-at least the Intel sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor

-and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much

-1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card

-and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro

-and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum"

1) If the laptop have one internal 7200 HDD, is it possible to use a external HDD for video-editing to meet the above requirements?

2) 5600 HHD is to slow?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Usually the best advice is to take the minimums listed for the product and double them.

But in the case of Premiere Elements, the most important question is what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

The requirements for editing standard definition video are a fraction of the requirements for editing AVCHD,for instance.

• 2. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The "usual" laptop has a single, 5400rpm hard drive... which you may use as long as you do not put any video files on that drive

You may then use an external 7200rpm hard drive for your video files... as long as it is eSata or USB3 for transfer speed

As far as I know, a USB2 external is not fast enough for video editing

Laptop Video Editing PC http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 3. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If one can ONLY get one internal 7200 RPM HDD, they can get by with a fast USB 3.0, or eSATA external. FW-800 would be a fall back, but I would never try with a USB 2.0, or FW-400 external.

I have 3x internal 7200 RPM SATA II's, and edit to/from FW-800 (IEEE-1394b) externals, to migrate Projects between my workstation and my laptop.

For the CPU, I would go with no less than a mid-range, or higher-end i7 processor, and would definitely want 12 - 16GB RAM.

When doing video editing on a laptop, I also strongly recommend a laptop cooler pad, like the Zalman, since laptops have rather poor cooling, just by the case design. Any way that the user can improve things will be a bonus.

I like the units from ADK and Sager (replacing a 5 year old Sager with an ADK right now), and John T. has posted links to both.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
                mariusschaeffer Level 1

Hi all,

Many thanks for your reply's!

We have a digital full HD video camera (Sony HDR-CX250) with max. 1920x1080 resolution and AVCHD output format. So I guess I need a powerful laptop with the minimums as listed as in my first post (or double the minimums of the product specs, really??)

I must say that video editing is what I do occasionally (once a month) and I have patience (not to long of course) to wait for calculations necessary for video editing and processing, transfering, etc. as it works properly. So, I am looking for a laptop that will run Adobe Premiere Elements properly, without interruptions, failures and crashes.

My budget for a laptop is € 1000,- - €1100,- and I have seen a Asus laptop with the following specifications:

Model: ASUS N56VZ-S4035V
                CPU:   Quadcore, i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz (up to 3.3 GHz)
                RAM:   8 GB DDR3 1600MHz
                HDD:   750 GB 7200rpm
                GPU:   NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
                DISP:  15.6" (or 17") HD 1920x1080 16:9

A link to this laptop at an english website: http://www.onyougo.com/asus-n56vz-s4035v-notebooks-specs_pi1707551e2

What do you think? Can I use this laptop for HD video editing and run Adobe PE 10 or is this laptop underpowered for (light) video editing?

I will use a external HDD 7200 rpm 3.0 usb as second harddrive or maybe I can replace the optical drive for a second HDD or SSD (later).

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With a low-level CPU, there will be processing time, but especially with AVCHD, or any H.264 CODEC material, the biggest problem is choppy, or hanging playback of the files on the Timeline. They require a lot of CPU horsepower. For AVCHD, I would spend the extra $ for an i7, and go as fast as is offered, or as fast as I could afford.

Good luck, and enjoy the new laptop.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Requirements laptop: HDD
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I7 is good, 8Gig ram is OK (16 would be better... does this laptop have a "trap door" where you may add more ram if needed?) and the default hard drive is "plenty" for all software and your non-video files

With a fast external drive you should be OK... and the nVidia card should work with hardware MPE (you may need to do the text file "hack")