4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 2:36 PM by bvz2000

bug? color profiles appear to be affecting layer masks

bvz2000 Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering whether I should file the following as a bug?

We are using color profiles that adjust the white point.  When these color profiles are applied to the image we cannot properly paint into layer masks because we cannot access "pure white".  The brightest white we can paint with is a form of grey (aka, we cannot paint back full opacity in a layer mask).  This shows up in the color "chips" as only allowing the brightest value to be a light grey.  The only way to get around this is to turn off our color profile, paint pure white, and then reapply the color profile (which confirms my understanding that "pure white" is supported by the mask channel when a color profile is applied, we just cannot paint it that value when the profile is applied).

As far as I can imagine, color profiles shouldn't be applied to scalar channels like a mask channel, right?

This affects CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6

• 1. Re: bug? color profiles appear to be affecting layer masks
          Level 7

Masks are gray data, so your RGB color is converted to gray according to the profiles you are using.

But it sounds a lot like you might be using a bad profile or bad settings.

Also, the only time you "apply" a profile is when you convert colorspaces.

• 2. Re: bug? color profiles appear to be affecting layer masks
            bvz2000 Level 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by my RGB color being converted to gray?  Is the mask channel using the gray color profile?

• 3. Re: bug? color profiles appear to be affecting layer masks
              bvz2000 Level 1

Oh, and one more observation:  I was mistaken in my original post.  It appears that the color profile is not actually affecting the layer mask.  I can look at the mask and toggle the various profiles on and off and nothing changes - which is what I expect. 

What the profile appears to be doing is limiting the range of values I can select from the color picker.  Having a color profile that adjusts the output white point seems to prevent me from selecting completely white (1.0) in the color picker when I have the layer mask selected.

• 4. Re: bug? color profiles appear to be affecting layer masks
                bvz2000 Level 1

Ok, I did one more test to see whether I can use the eye dropper tool to select a "pure white" color even if the color picker does not let me do that.  It turns out that I can.

So that is a work around...  I  am simply going to have to have an adjustment layer at the top of my layer pallette (but turned off) that has an all white mask.  Even when it is turned off, I can simply select it, use the eye dropper tool to pick a pure white, and then return to my mask channel of choice and paint in full opacity.

In the mean time, I think the fact that the color profile still affects the color picker when a mask layer is active might be considered a bug.  I'll probably report it as such.