19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 2:01 PM by shooternz

BM Ultrascope and Premiere

shooternz Level 6

Anyone here running Ultra Scope in conjunction with  an Adobe Premiere  workflow ?

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrascope

I am interested to see how the pipeline is working for you and how it is set up.

Currently I have experience of it in another facilty where I master some of my TVCs... but it is set up in line after Mastering to Tape. ie Tape blays out to Ultrascope and dedicated monitor.

I am wanting to use Ultrascope on the the Digital Master File or better still...the Premiere Timeline before I export a Master.

• 1. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Purely speculation here but it looks like you need to find a way to feed the thing SDI, which then feeds that signal to the software installed on a second computer (or Laptop).

• 2. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
            SimonHy Level 2

I haven't used them but have done a bit of research as Ultrascopes are very much on my "to buy" list. I'll quite possibly get the Black Magic Cinema Camera, which comes with it and the full install of Resolve. Not a bad freebee considering together they're worth half what the camera goes for!

As Jim states, it slots into the SDI signal path, and needs a dedicated computer to run it. There's a PCIe and a USB3 version. It should just connect between your SDI output and your grading monitor.

• 3. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
              shooternz Level 6

I have since had some discussion with some tech guys and discovered the solution for me is the Pocket Ultra Scope.

Simply I just input from my SDI and Monitor the Ultrascopes via my laptop.

Because the Pocket device is SDI in and USB 3 out (ie not a pass thru)  I am looking for an HDI Splitter so I can also send signal to the  external monitor. (Have not started that serach yet)

Only potential issue I am going to have is the screen res on my laptop.  I will not be able to rum all 6 Ultrascopes simultaneously.

• 4. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you get the Ultrascope with the cinema camera do you get any hardware or just the software? If it is just the software I think that will only work monitoring the camera and not for use in an edit suite. I may be wrong, does anyone know for sure?

RMK

• 5. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I am looking for an HDI Splitter

BlackMagic makes them four about $300.  They work great.

• 6. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                    shooternz Level 6

Thanx Jim

Thats what I am likely to go with...

I am also anticipating that I might need to add a cheap PC box with USB 3 and another 1080 puter monitor for this part of QC workflow.

This will give me awesome RT waveform monitoring and broadcast QC from both Premiere and Resolve.

• 7. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

I'm looking at it myself as a future possibility.  Since I bought the GH2, I'll be losing the realtime waveform of OnLocation.  This looks like a viable way to replace that (assuming the new GH3 has cleaned up the HDMI output to be accurate).

• 8. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                        shooternz Level 6

Are you saying that the Premiere Scopes are not RT?

Mine are..or very close at least.

Maybe you are saying that you want WFM when shooting.

So anyway ..I have kind of progressed in the QC department of my suite. 

Just set up a spare PC (XP) with a USB 3.0 HUB (required a driver).  Attached a spare monitor and...

....BM Pocket Ultrascope is on its way.

Will order a BM Splitter tomorrow.

Intention is that this set up is only run occassionally for QC or CC Grade sessions and Mastering. (Premiere or Resolve)

Reason for doing so is the broadcast gate keepers QC stringency!

• 9. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                          Jim_Simon Level 9

Maybe you are saying that you want WFM when shooting.

Exactly.  Moving from DV to solid state, I lose OnLocation.  This could replace that.

• 10. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                            Jeff Bellune Level 5

[Moved to Hardware Forum]

• 11. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                              shooternz Level 6

How about an onboard monitor with a WFM?

• 12. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                shooternz Level 6

Just worked out that I can eliminate the need (and cost)  for an HD SDI splitter.

I can run SDI out from the NLE (via BM  HD-SDI) to the External Monitor...then  thru to the BM Pocket Ultrascope to the computer running the Ultrascope software (via USB 3.)

Simple cost effective chain.

NLE> BM SDI Card>External Panasonic Monitor> Pocket Ultrascope>QC Computer> Monitor

• 13. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                  Jim_Simon Level 9
                                  How about an onboard monitor with a WFM?

'splain.

• 14. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                    shooternz Level 6

If I am correct..you wish to shoot with scopes such as you had with On Location ?

(You would have connected to a laptop to achieve that assumeably and via Firewire Port.)

Any  monitor with WFM or other exposure functions will give you that same information.

Some cameras have WFM in theLCD. Plenty of onboard monitors have the exposure  tools.

Full broadcast monitors have WFMs built in.

Thing is they are monitoring HD source.

Onboard monitor I use  http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=372

Broadcast Monitor  Panasonic HD 1700

AF102 has wfm / vectorscope in LCD

BM Pocket Ultrascope may serve your purpose as well.  Will let you know when I set mine up next week.

• 15. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                      Jim_Simon Level 9

I see.

A broadcast monitor is probably out of the producer's price range.  But a camera monitor that can do waveform might not be.  Thanks for the tip.

And do report back how well this new toy works.

• 16. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                        shooternz Level 6

Jim... (and anyone else)

Dont go near the Black Magic  Pocket Ultrascope.

Its a real ***** to install and get running because its so hardware fussy. 

(I can not get it to run on anything around here yet and most likely will return it to supplier)

Virtually nothing is certified by them to run it ( laptops, MOBOs or graphic cards)

It is seriously fussy about USB 3.0 drivers yet dont supply the specific version required. Its hard to find also..

They need to make this a Turn Key Solution if they expect to sell it.

(A beta tester told me that my experience is not unusual with this blasted thing!)

I am a bit pissed about this. 

They advertise it as a simple solution on "compatible" computers.

Hardy anything is compatible so that lets them off the hook as to if it works or not.

They even say that expensive graphics cards are not necessarily going to work!  WTF

• 17. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                          Jim_Simon Level 9

They advertise it as a simple solution on "compatible" computers.

Oh, that's no good.  A minimum set of specs is OK, but beyond that, it needs to work on any machine that meets or exceeds those specs.

• 18. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Blackmagic USB hardware will work with TI/Renesis USB3 controllers and those are the only USB3 controllers they are certified to work with. Any other USB3 controllers are a crap shoot. I have tested several so far and version differences on others even decide whether they will work or wont. Make sure you have the correct Renesis driver and firmware as well. If you are not sure, message Blackmagic or myself.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: BM Ultrascope and Premiere
                                              shooternz Level 6

Thanx Eric

We chased our tail around this issue for a few days and then gave up on the project. 

Far too hard to do with reasonable $$$ outlay.

Assumeably easy to do with additional hardware that runs  within this narrow spec.

BM are not entirely open and transparent with their info on this matter.

Dissapointing and frustrating  exercise