19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 5:58 AM by Noel Carboni

Changing Text Color of jpg

whittem2005

Hi there

I am a web designer and regularly get sent logos etc from clients. More recently I have been sent a jpg image black and white of a girl with a wedding veil on. There is some handwriting text to the left which is a white colour. As I dont have access to the original psd file I am trying to find an easy way to change the text colour to a pink the client has chosen. I am using adobe photoshop cs6 and have tried using the colour swap option under image tab but it just seems to change the colour to gray and not the pink i have selected.

I know this should be a very easy job and would be grateful for anybodys feedback on this as the most effective way to make this change.

Cheers

Paul

• 1. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Please post (part of) the affected section of the image.

• 2. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
            whittem2005 Level 1

Hiya

Having some problems uploading as not on home pc just now but its simply a jpg black and white ladnscape with woman wearing veil on right and some nice handwriting text on left in white. Therefore, as I say its just the text I need to change the colour of but because i don't have the original psd file its not quite as easy.

Cheers

Paul

• 3. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
              whittem2005 Level 1

Meant to say you can see a similar image on the website at: www.madaboutveils.co.uk. Its not the same image but the writing and wording is the same.

Cheers

Paul

• 4. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Your path to success is likely going to involve selection of the characters.  Look into the Magic Wand Tool, though you may have some trouble around the very edges of the characters.  Work at a high resolution.  I'm not sure but the Refine Edge function may help with this.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                  whittem2005 Level 1

I tried the magic wand tool last night but cant seem to figure out how to then change the colour. Think I am losing my mind. I don't normally have to use these tools though as clients normally supply proper psd files.

Cheers

Paul

• 6. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

If your text is against black or near black as the example shows this will be fairly easy - you can use a VERY high tolerance on the Magic Wand, and use Shift-click to select more than one letter.  Then it's just a matter of a masked Curves layer or whatever to change the white text to whatever color you like...

As I mentioned, I'd upsample before working on it, but that's just the way I like to work.

BrideExample.jpg

-Noel

• 7. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Even something as simple as Image - Adjust - Curves with the selection present.  Then just drag the white points of green and blue down some, for example.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                        whittem2005 Level 1

Hi Noel

Thats great advise. I will try this out when I get home later. Most appreciated.

• 9. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                          conroy Level 5

You don't have to select the lettering. Just add a Solid Color Layer over the region of the white text and set its blending mode to Multiply.

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 16.03.38.png

• 10. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

That assumes the lettering is over pure black (keeping in mind the image shown at the madaboutveils site isn't the actual image being discussed).  Using a "just letters" selection as the mask instead of the rectangle that you've shown gets the job done too, and brings the approaches together.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                              whittem2005 Level 1

Ok guys

I have a couple of questions being a rather newbie to photoshop in general. I feel a bit daft not knowing this but:

Noel - Using your curves method, would this be applicable if I want to provide a specific colour i.e: #E8376D. I cant see how I would do this using curves

Conroy - Thanks for your suggestion too but i do have one question, how can I add a solid colour layer over the white text only? I can see how to add a colour layer down at the add new layer section but I cant see how I would set it up to just cover my text?

Once again thanks again for your help with this. Once you clarify these questions I dont think there will be any stopping me.

Cheers

Paul

• 12. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                whittem2005 Level 1

Ok Conroy, never mind i was just being silly. I thought when I applied the solid colour it would apply to the whole image as I had not selected the text. Didn't know photoshop would just automatically change the text and not the whole image. New question, how the heck does it know to only change the text?

• 13. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

New question, how the heck does it know to only change the text?

If the newly created Fill or Adjustment Layer only affects a region it probably has a Layer Mask that was created from the Selection that was active when you created it.

would this be applicable if I want to provide a specific colour i.e: #E8376D.

I think a Solid Color Layer set to Blend Mode Darken (or Multiply) and with a Layer Mask would be more convenient (if the text is actually pure white).

• 14. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                    whittem2005 Level 1

Noel, been trying your idea of using just letters selection as mask sounds good but how? I selected the letters on the original image layer but where do I go from there? I selected them then chose add Layer mask which then brought up just the letters and I was then able to choose colour overlay from the layer styles and change the text colour but how do i then get my image back with the text changed as all I was left with after that was a gray box with my text colour changed. Is there another step I am missing? I feel so close to figuring this out.

Conroy, I tried your way which worked but it missed a couple of parts of the text out so most of it was pink but some bits were white. Not sure how I would get around it using your method.

Thanks again guys. Looking forward to your advise.

Cheers

Paul

• 15. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                      whittem2005 Level 1

Hey C Pfaffenbichler

Could you give me some step by step on that at all? Not sure what order I need to do things in.

Cheers

Paul

• 16. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

• Create a Selection (with whatever Selection Tools you prefer)

• Create a Solid Color Layer (Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color) and set it to the intended color

• change its Blend Mode to Darken or Multiply

• if necessary correct the Layer Mask by painting on it with either white or black

• 17. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                          conroy Level 5

whittem2005 wrote:

... New question, how the heck does it know to only change the text?

There's a mask attached to the Solid Color Fill layer - it's black with a white rectangle over the region of the text, so the layer is applied to that region only.

Edit: I think you understood the mask and wondered how the black is unaffected. The Solid Color Fill layer is in Multiply mode. Black multiplied by any colour remains black - multiplying zero by any number results in zero.

• 18. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                            conroy Level 5

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

• change its Blend Mode to Darken or Multiply

Multiply, yes, but not Darken unless you want the text pixels to contain colours and grays instead of colours.

• 19. Re: Changing Text Color of jpg
                                              Noel Carboni Level 8

If you add a Fill layer with the selection made, it will automatically use the selection you currently have made as a mask.

Or, a very simple thing:  You could just paint over the selected letters with a brush after having set the foreground color to what you want.

Once you've got the parts you want to change isolated, there are quite a number of ways to color those parts.

-Noel