10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 11:33 AM by timetraveler2016

Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)

lelandgray

Hello everyone..  I work in the IT department, and I am trying to assist a user with a problem they are having with Premiere Pro.  Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about how to use Premiere.. I am not the user, I just install it and make sure it's there.

The problem they are having is that when they click the button to watch playback, the screens (dual display) flicker/flash/strobe, whatever you'd like to call it.  As soon as you click 'stop', it stops.

I've already tried re-installing Premiere, but I might need to just completely uninstall the entire CS6 suite and reinstall it.

Here are the specs: (I don't know why the images are blurry, but you can click on them to open them and they are clear)

systeminformation.JPG

And the video card info:

Catalyst.JPG

I've already been to AMD's website, and it says I have the current video driver.  Windows is also completely up to date.

This system has dual monitors.

Thank you in advance!

• 2. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The displays themselves flicker, or the video in the PP window flickers?

• 3. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
            lelandgray Level 1

There is only one drive.  Which, may be the problem.. however we've had this setup for over a year and it's just now having these problems.  Also, we have a completely identical setup and it doesn't have the problem, either.

• 4. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
              lelandgray Level 1

Both displays flicker.  The secondary display is fullscreen playback, and the main display shows the PP window (also full screen).  And they don't flicker at the same time, it's almost like flicker in sequence.

• 5. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                Harm Millaard Level 7

A single disk is not enough. One needs AT LEAST 2 separate 7200 RPM SATA disks for minimal performance, preferably more. During use, the fill rate goes up and performance goes down and this happens more often than one thinks. Temp files, cookies, log files etc. are great to bring almost every system to its knees.

• 6. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only one drive is a problem (see below) but... more information is still needed

Is CS6 updated to the 6.0.2 version?

What kind of video is being edited? (see below)

Is there a red line over the timeline when the video is 1st imported and before any work is done?

-if yes, that means the project sequence is not correct

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

• 7. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                    lelandgray Level 1

I updated CS6 to whatever the most current version yesterday (it was out of date). 

The user said she is "importing MXF files and editing them".  She said there was no red line before she does anything.

She told me again that they've been using this computer for well over a year now and only recently this problem has come up.  Nothing has changed.. they use the same type of video files and the same time line settings.  She said everything works as it should, except when she previews her videos.

Would only working off a single hard drive really be causing this?

• 8. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

There was another editor that ran into this before with the ATI driver that was out. I suggest you uninstall the current ATI driver and download a previous version. The way to test this is deactivate the full screen and just run the 1 and see if the playback is still flashing on the Program monitor.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                        legitimate_activities

You are all giving this guy the wrong advice. This isn't about gear. His build may be a little weak but I am on a 256GB SATAIII SSD, INTEL i7(2.9ghz), RADEON HD6870, 16GB RAM, 3 internal 2TB HDD's and I had the same problem.

While I don't have a solution I can say that this is for sure a software problem.

I've been able to lock one of 3 monitors as a playback device with no problem for the few months I've been on CS6.

After I recently reformatted my system and reinstalled everything, I got this flickering playback problem when I set a 2nd or 3rd screen as a playback device.

I was able to patch the problem by uninstalling my graphics card drivers through device manager, restarting, and letting windows update install my graphics card drivers.

Most Likely I installed the wrong drivers for my card when I reformatted.

Will update if I get any further.

EDIT: SOLVED!!!!!

I went to this site and began rolling back my amd catalyst software 1 version at a time.

I know that it used to work fine on the same hardware.

After I rolled back 3 versions to catalyst software version 12.4 (Apr 25, 2012) the problem went away.

Now I am using 3 monitors. All flickering stopped!!!!

• 10. Re: Flickering during playback in Premiere Pro (CS6)
                          timetraveler2016

Even 3 1/2 years later, I can confirm what @legitimate_activities said. This flickering issue occurs with AMD Radeon HD cards (mine is the old Mobility Radeon HD 4670) using Adode Premiere Pro CC 2015 (in addition to CS versions) when preview is played in full screen mode.

The drivers currently available (including two previous versions) from AMD's site for my card are versions 13.9, 13.1, and 12.6.  Tested them all, and flickering persisted.  Then I found 12.4 elsewhere (since AMD no longer offers it on their site) and flickering stopped, just like legitimate_activities noted.

Flickering also stops if AMD drivers 13.9, 13.1, and 12.6 are uninstalled without even installing 12.4. However, preview runs more smoothly if 12.4 is installed.

***Optionally***  In Catalyst Pro Control Center, go to My Built-In Displays > LCD Overdrive (Built-In Display) and tick the Enable LCD Overdrive checkbox. The flickering disappears in AMD version 12.6 and upwards but kills Windows Aero, and preview still isn't as smooth as when 12.4 is installed.