7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 2:58 PM by Rick Gerard

Need to replicate this video

EvangelineWinter Level 1

Hello all. I have been trying to replicate this sequence from the old batman tv show for a project but i cant seem to make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1mFXiIq_Tc&feature=fvwrel

I tried using a screenshot of a video and rotate it but it didn't look good.

The I throughout if I tried to create a roach color wheel with red blue green yellow and spun that it might work but its not looking right. Can anyone look at this yourtibe video and offer suggestions? also is the only way to twist it to manually rotate it frame by frame? any plugins that do it? I know I am sorry. I am still learning day by day so any insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Need to replicate this video
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Roation should work without issues and you'd only need a few keyframes, not one for each fram. Of course you would have to enable the motion blur switch for the layer, enable motion blur preview and possibly play with the shutter phase and shutter duration settings in the comp settings. If you don't want to mess with the rest of the comp, doing this in a pre-comp or by using the Transform distortion effect followed by CC Force Motionblur would also work. Other than that you can always try a combination of effects like CC Radial Fastblur and otehrs. Which colors you base this on is up to you, but you might wanan experiment with a simple stack like this:

a) Effects --> Generate --> Ramp --> Linear

b) Effects --> Distort --> Polar Coordinates --> Rect to Polar

c) Effects --> Color Correction --> Colorama

This will create a circular gradient. Feel free to add e.g. a Fractal Noise before the polar transform for some colro blobs or whatever...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Need to replicate this video
            EvangelineWinter Level 1

OK...question. Your advice here is this starting with the image  I want to spin?

you gave me several options and To be honest I'm a bit lost.

Can you walk me through a simple spin that would achieve the effect Im trying to achieve.

I don't want to sound ungrateful I am very appreciative of the info...its just a touch over my head ATM

LOL

• 3. Re: Need to replicate this video
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              1. Import the image
              2. Create a new comp
              3. Place image in comp
              4. With image selected hit R to reveal rotation property
              5. Create a keyframe by enabling stopwatch
              6. Move to otehr point in time
              7. Change rotation value
              8. Enable motion blur layer switch (little symbol with 3 circles "trailing"). If not visible, hit F4 to toggle display.
              9. Enable motion blur preview button at top of timeline (same symbol)
              10. Tweak rotation values to make trails more pronounced or use Composition --> Composition Settings --> Advanced to increase shutter duration to values larger than 190 degrees until everything looks as you want it.
              11. Take comp and drop it as a layer in anotehr comp.
              12. Apply Effects --> Blur --> CC Radial Fastblur to add more "spin" streaks.
              13. Put Bat symbol on top.
              14. Render out.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Need to replicate this video
                EvangelineWinter Level 1

ok...Awesome I understood that....LOL  now to obtain that speed level what do you recommend?

one 90 degree spin every half second?

every quarter second?

I guess I could just keep tweaking it so that it looks right. I think the motion blur is going to make all the difference and I thank you for your walkthrough. It has been most helpful!

• 5. Re: Need to replicate this video
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just pull your time cue from the sample video and enable motion blur.

I'd probably also add a little radial blur.

• 6. Re: Need to replicate this video
                    EvangelineWinter Level 1

ok thank you. as I said I am very new to this and self taught as I go along so I don't know as much as many of you who are really experts at it...for example  you said

"pull your time cue" that means nothing to me so I am going to google it to learn something new. then I am sure it will make sense....LOl but seriously thank you I will look into it.

• 7. Re: Need to replicate this video
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I meant was just step through the sample video a frame at a time and see how many frames it takes to complete a rotation. It looks like about 4 to 6 frames per revolution to me.