5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 12:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?

BigArtK3 Level 1

Please excuse this newbie question. I have premiere elements version 8.  However, I have not used it except to transpose a video clip from my Iphone.

I have .jpg, .mov, and .avi files from my camera and my wife's camera.

I would like to create a show that displays stills and clips in a particular sequence.

Are there things I should beware of if I do something like:

1) transpose some clips (90 or even 180 degrees)

2) cut off parts of those clips that are irrelevant, messy, etc.

3) create a sequence of files, e.g., pic1 pic2, clip1, pic3, pic4, clip2 clip3, etc.

4) display this on my laptop which does not have Premiere elements

5) display this on my tivo premiere.

possibly

6) add text slides

7) add voice

What links should I look at to get started?  what words should I use in searching <help>?

As I prepare the photos in photoshop are there considerations when I am going to bring them into Premiere Elements?

Can the show be made to pause between "scenes" i.e., a photo or a clip?

• 1. Re: Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you mean by "transpose".

But I would recommend you use the Slideshow Creator in the Elements Organizer to create your slideshow. You can add your text and narration there too if you'd like. (And, of course, make sure your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you start.) Send it to Premiere Elements when you're done.

You can then mix in your video there if you'd like. Assuming your video is compatible with Premiere Elements. MOVs and AVIs might be DV-AVIs and DV-MOVs -- and might not be. It depends on whether they're coming from a true camcorder or from a still camera that shoots video (In which case they might use the MJPEG codec, which Premiere Elements does not like.)

Premiere Elements is capable of outputting videos that you can watch on your laptop and your TV.

I don't any links to send you to for step-by-step instructions. But my books would definitely explain all of these  steps in simple language.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

• 2. Re: Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Steve has addressed the SlideShow aspect very well, and agree that Muvipix.com is a great resource for all sort of guidance from technical to aesthetic.

Now, the way that I read that "transpose," is that footage from the iPhone is incorrectly oriented for Video, which is always horizontal. If that is correct, and the footage was captured with the phone in portrait orientation, and not landscape, there are a couple of choices, but the come with little warnings.

PrE has the ability to Rotate Still Images, and Video Footage. As soon as a Still Image, or Video Clip has been dragged to the Timeline, after being Imported into the Project (appears in the Project Panel), there are several Effects that are automatically added to those Images, or Clips, Rotation, Motion (Scale and Position, and we will mention both of those in a moment), Opacity and if the Clip has Audio attached, then Volume. Those are the Fixed Effects, and will be present always. They can also be adjusted, as is necessary.

Let's look at Rotation first. If the capture of the Video Clip was done in portrait mode, and you wish to use it in Video, you can Rotate it 90 degrees, and it will appear oriented correctly. However, as the Clip is taller, than it is wide, and Video is wider, than it is tall, you have a little problem. You can use another Fixed Effect, Motion>Scale to size the height of the Rotated Clip, so that it now is sized to match the vertical height of the Video Frame, but you WILL have black bars on either side of that Rotated, and Scaled Clip. Or, you can use Motion>Scale, and go the other way - you can increase the Scale, until the width of that Clip matches the width of the Video Frame. No black bars. However, since your Clip was taller, you now have pixels that will be beyond the height of the Video Frame, and effectively cropped (remember this for the next answer). You can then adjust Motion>Position to move that Clip, up, or down, in the Video Frame, effectively cropping off the top, or the bottom, or an amount from both. When you Scale, and especially UP, the quality will deteriorate. The degree of Scale will determine how much deterioration, you have. So, warnings about either method. Also, one can do a bit of each, Scaling up a little, which will minimize the size of the black bars, but will not eliminate them.

Looking at the Clips, that you wish to crop a bit, to remove extraneous pixels, you can use that same Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, to increase the Scale of that Clip, and let the Video Project's Frame effectively crop that material out. If necessary, you can also use Motion>Position, to constrain that cropping to say just the top and one side, or the bottom and one side, or split the difference with a little cropping on all four sides.

There is also a Crop Effect, that can be added to a Clip (or Still Image), but if one does not Scale, then black, or any underlying Image/Clip, will appear, where one Crops. Note: I capitalized the official Effect>Crop, but did not capitalize the operation of effective cropping, done by the Project's Video Frame.

When one has mis-matched Video footage, say from an iPhone, and from a video camera, it is almost always best to create a New Project, that matches the exact Video from the iPhone, or from the video camera, edit those separately, and then output one to match up the parameters of the other. Mixing footage in a single Project almost always introduces problems, and some of the rather big problems.

As for the TiVo, can you furnish us with the full specs. that it requires, to play a Video file? This should be available in the literature from your TiVo unit. These specs. can differ model to model, and certainly brand to brand, though the machines might seem to be about the same - they usually are not.

To rehash, my workflow would be to create the SlideShow part, just as Steve outlines, then create and edit in two different Projects, for your iPhone and your video camera, and finally, create a New Project, or do a Save_As and use that Project (in its new version), to do the final editing of all elemnts, bring in the SlideShow, and the output from the other Project, say the iPhone, where you will do your final editing work. When you get to the point, where you have two video Project (iPhone and video camera) and the SlideShow, please drop back by, and we'll give you the easiest way to get all those elements into one, editable Project for output to the TiVo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?
              BigArtK3 Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me.

By "transpose" I mean rotating a video clip 90 or 180 degrees because the Iphone or camera was held upside down or sideways when the clip was taken.

My videos are .MOV from an IPHONE and .AVI from an Olympus camera.

My stills are 3072 * 2304, 4608 * 3456, and 3264 * 2448. So I'll see if there is a "bulk" way to lower the resolution in Photoshop elements.

Is your recommendation for 1000 * 750 due to a limit in Premiere of because TVs are 1080?  My monitors ar 1920 * 1200 and 1680 * 1050.

Should I consider having two versions of the show 1 for tv and one for a computer?

I'll send for the book and see if I think I should try to do this project.

• 4. Re: Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As mentioned, Steve has a full series of wonderful books, and they address your questions in full detail, plus he has done a Learning Series of tutorials for PrE. For a list of those resources, plus a few more, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/800455?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Should I learn Premiere elements to do this?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I thought that you were speaking about Rotation. Got that covered above.

As for the overly large Still Images, and batch Scaling them to match the Video's Frame Size, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt