22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 8:36 AM by Dave LaRonde

AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage

the82syzygy Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am using native .mxf -  MPEG-2 HD footage shot with a Canon XF300, and nearly every time I place it in the timeline or or viewer and scrub AE freezes and crashes. Non mxf footage doesn't cause AE to crash.

I am running a newly built Windows 7 64bit system

Dual Xeon 2687's

EVGA Classified SRX motherboard

96 GB RAM

3 SSD (operating system and applications on one, scratch and cache on others)

GeForce GTX580 3GB

internal 10K raptor drive (footage)

External OWC 4TB Qx2 RAID 5 / 0 (switched configurations in an attempt to resolve issue) (footage) - connected eSATA / USB2.0

I have adjusted the preview resolution settings, the preferences, the location of scratch disks, changed the location and connectivity of media hard disk, I have attempted older drivers, and ive switched video cards - I previously was using Quadro4000.  I have reinstalled the Adobe Suite, and just yesterday did a complete reinstallation of the OS. And that hasn't seemed to solved the issue. 

In the Windows event log, the error reads: Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\After Effects CS6\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\mc_dec_mp2v.dll

I am new to .mxf and I have only been using this footage format for a few months, however the crashing issue did not occur until about a month ago. Im not using proxies  I believe it was around the time when I applied the latest AE update.  I cant say with confidence it was the update because I also was switching GPU drivers to resolve Premiere Pro crashing.  Essentially AE worked when Premiere Pro didn't, and now visa versa.

It always catches and crashes before going into adaptive resolution.  Are the hard drives not able to keep up? 

Footage runs fine in Premiere Pro

Hardware seems to check out.

Any insight would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
          ndeschenes Level 1

Same error!

I'm running AE CS6 on:

Windows 7 64 bit

Quador 600

8 Gig Ram

Here's the windows error log:

(it's in french but you'll get the idea)

Nom de l’application défaillante AfterFX.exe, version : 11.0.1.12, horodatage : 0x4fab6f50

Nom du module défaillant : mc_dec_mp2v.dll, version : 9.1.6.4544, horodatage : 0x4f3cd9a2

Code d’exception : 0xc0000005

Décalage d’erreur : 0x0000000000154d64

ID du processus défaillant : 0x2044

Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01cd91c73c7126d8

Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\mc_dec_mp2v.dll

ID de rapport : b8a031d0-fdba-11e1-a96a-d4bed999d65c

I've already reformat the computer and install all the lastes drivers, and still the same error with mc_dec_mp2v.dll.  As soon as I work a litle bit with AE it crash.

My footage was shoot with a Canon C300 and here's the specs of the video:

Type : Film XDCAM-HD 422 , 1920 x 1080, Frequence: 24,00

• 2. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
            the82syzygy Level 1

I have found a workaround, although not at all ideal, it keeps after effects from crashing. 

If i load the footage in Premiere and then import the sequence into After Effects via Dynamic Link, After Effects has no problems.

Any thoughts ?

• 3. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
              wraptors Level 1

I'm also having this problem. Even when I create a Dynamic link in PP. Sometimes it works others times it crashes with mc_dec_mp2v.dll being the problem. Adobe please fix!

• 4. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                deltai Level 1

Same problem.  My footage was shot with a Canon Xf 100 and I also have a Nvidia Gtx580 with latest drivers. Maybe the card is the problem? Italo

• 5. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                  deltai Level 1

Any workaround for solving this bug? Italo

• 6. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                    pwildhirt Level 1

Similar problem here. I can load it in AE but as soon as I preview it crashes every time. mc_dec_mp2v.dll is the culprit.

Never had any problems before, but this time I shot in 1080p (on a Canon XF100).

• 7. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                      Arctic Lens Level 1

All of you are not alone as I am joining your frustration as well.  I am running a Canon XF300 and it works like magic in premiere but as soon as I load one up into after effects trying a variety of ways it will crash instantly.

On a side note if I do not scrub or push play I can do a RAM preview and it will play nicely up until the point that I stoped the preview.  Where I might have other issues is I cannot use the dynamic link anymore when I used to be able to use it all the time and loved it.

System

ASUS Rampage IV,  i7 3970X, 64 GB RAM, Quadro 4000, 1,200W power supply. 2ea 1TB drives RAID 0

The workaround I tried is to just export it in a different format, but it kills the workflow and takes up space.  I hope this is resolved, I have spent too much time learning this software to not be able to use it. 

• 8. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                        wraptors Level 1

This is a very serious problem not sure why we are getting no response from Adobe.

• 9. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                          Arctic Lens Level 1

OK I have another tidbit of information.      I went back to an older project where everything was working great and tried to open it.  I had a warning pop up that said this was done under a previous version 10.5 and must be converted.  Hmm   OK.     Click and it goes through it's thing and then  BOOM  same thing   insta crash.

I am rather nervous because I have  quite a few dynamic links setup in Premiere Pro and I am not sure it the changes will render.     I need to deliver this next week and this project has ground to a halt After Effects has been rendered useless.

• 10. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                            Arctic Lens Level 1

Is anyone aware of a different workaround, patch or fix yet ?    Going back to transcode previous projects is not a task I am looking forward to. 

• 11. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                              deltai Level 1

It's not a bug for everybody : I think a lot of people is working with CANON MXF files in AE without any problem. I used to work smoothly in After Effects CS 5.5 with mxf files and now I don't with CS6.

I'm thinking about CF CARDS because last year I also switched to TRASCEND 64 GB 400X CARDS.

Next week I will try some footage with SANDISK CARDS and see what'll happen.

• 12. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                the82syzygy Level 1

i found that by isolating the .mxf file from all the other ancillary files in the original footage folder the crashing ceased.  so, copy onlythe .mxf file to anywhere outside its original folder, or delete the other files, or just move it, and see if that works.  The Canon XF 300 MXF files were so troublesome to work with in CS6 i havent used the camera in several months with Adobe software.  Hope that works for you.

• 13. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                  Arctic Lens Level 1

OK I will give it a try tonight.  Thank you for your help.

• 14. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                    pwildhirt Level 1

the82syzygy wrote:

i found that by isolating the .mxf file from all the other ancillary files in the original footage folder the crashing ceased.  so, copy onlythe .mxf file to anywhere outside its original folder, or delete the other files, or just move it, and see if that works. 

Just tried this and it seems to prevent the crash. I've had your plug-in crash, but the last time around it was Automatic Duck.exe that crashed the program. I also just realized the normally we don't have problems (normally being 720 30Mbps (from a Canon XF100) ) but the last two times we've had problems was when we recorded in 1080 at 50MBps 30P.

• 15. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

As evidenced by this thread, MXF seems to cause fits in AE. 

I recommend this test: export the footage from Premiere Pro in a lossless codec and see what happens. 

It may not be the best fix, but I have my suspicions that while AE can accommodate newer media containers like MXF, it isn't really optimized for them. 

The codecs of the MXF footage can also play a role: AE doesn't like interframe-compressed codecs very much when you apply features/effects that involve looking backwards & forwards in time... and there are quite a few.

So the problem may not be the actual media container, but the codec to which the video was encoded.  A test could reveal much.

• 16. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                        Arctic Lens Level 1

I do not think this was a problem until a recent update.  I have been using this XF-300 for a little while now and this is the first sign of problems.  Even going back to older projects that worked great no longer work.

I am not wildly familiar with what goes on under the hood but with some guidance I would be willing to see what we could figure out.  This summer is going to be busy and I must find a way to iron this out, I just have been busy with my other job and have had little time to experiment.

I like this discussion though.

• 17. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I suspect you're an occasional (i.e. not full-time) AE user like me, you expect things to work as advertised, and when they don't, you're at a loss.

You have to remember this:  AE is a MATURE APPLICATION.  There is code under the AE hood that has been there for 20 years.  Adobe doesn't totally re-write the code from version to version, they patch where necessary to avoid a massive re-write.  If they did otherwise, your reasonably-priced, off-the-shelf software would be much, much pricier, and where would that leave you?

Does every such patch work each and every time?  Adobe does a lot of testing, but to expect that every possibility has been covered isn't realistic.

Here's another consideration: there are so many combinations of operating systems, system manufacturers, third-party cards, processors, etc. that can accommodate AE that it's getting increasingly difficult for an off-the-shelf application like AE to be all things to all people.  That's why you see so many threads where people ask diagnostic questions about OS, Processors, cards, media containers, codecs, AE settings, etc.  They all play a role in getting AE to work properly.

I'm not apologizing for AE.  I'm not apologizing for Adobe, either.  But given the currentl landscape, that's a just a fact of life.

If I had a big shooting schedule coming up, and I knew in advance that AE would play a big role in my projects, I would find a way to transcode my footage on its way into the computer that would cause AE fewer fits.

But that's me; I'm not a big fan of being on the bleeding edge, I like consistency.  You may approach the topic from a different point of view.

• 18. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                            Arctic Lens Level 1

I use it quite often but far from professional / expert.   I'll use this analogy you drive your car every day then one morning it does not start. Not knowing much about it but being handy with tools you ask around and you are told to push the car down the street and then let out the clutch.  That will get you going and does OK for a workaround but does not fix the initial problem.

AE has been similar.  I was hoping for a simple solution like   File > Preferences > stability settings > uncheck the box "crash AE for MXF scrubbing" but no such luck.  I am more than willing to experiement and learn, even more so to share my mistakes.   When I am able to get on the editor it is often at odd hours so I have not been able to call and ask about a solution and i am not really sure if Adobe monitors these forums. 

When it was working it was a joy, I could bounce back and forth between Premiere Pro, After effects and Encore but now you are indeed correct I am at a loss and not even sure where to go or whom to ask as I do not know anyone local to Alaska that uses the Adobe suite as they tend to favor Final Cut.

I have a project to finish tonight but I will spend some time playing around with AE this weekend to see if I can get things to work.  The ones that come to mind from this thread are to transcode it, move the MXF file out of the original file, or call Adobe and see what they say.

Either way I will share what I find out.

• 19. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                              Arctic Lens Level 1

OK I did some playing around and if I export some footage from premiere in an MPEG2 it works just fine in AE.    It does take up space to have two copies and the workflow is going to be a challenge as I do not want to double up on all the raw footage. So if I do a quick and dirty rough cut of what I would like to keep then export all of that then re-import it in to premiere I can use the dynamic link to work on it in AE.    Also the DL works well on Encore.

To lighten to mood here is the quick and dirty school project my son and I worked on.  They were doing this in class when his computer crashed and he lost the file so I talked with his teacher and said we could come up with something, so we did.

• 20. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

...if I export some footage from premiere in an MPEG2 it works just fine in AE.

Glad to hear things are working out well for fun little projects.  But when you want to do serious stuff, I'd avoid exporting to MPEG2; it's a lossy codec.  Your images take a quality hit when encoded to it.  Instead, you'd want to export to a lossless codec.  In terms of video files, it's tough to beat Quicktime's PNG codec.

Which brings me to another point: PNG files will be a LOT bigger than the MPEG2 files.  If you worry about extra files tying up your storage, you ain't seen nothin' yet.  The lesson: get more storage.

• 21. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                                  Arctic Lens Level 1

That is a good tip, Thank you.

Storage is not really a problem just a minor annoyance brought on from my original problem in that I cannot use anything shot from my Canon XF300 in AE.

I have not tracked this problem very aggresively as my day job has been soaking up time.  In about 2 weeks I will have several projects to get going.   But you have me curious on the PNG now.

• 22. Re: AE CS6 Crashing when scrubbing .mxf footage
                                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm a big fan of QT's PNG codec: it's pretty much universal among QT users, PLUS it supports alpha channels. 

I'm also a big fan of having QT Pro  (version 7.x, not that God-awful Version X).  I think it's the best 35 bucks you'll spend for many a moon, and it's available for either Mac or Win.