5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 11:38 AM by JumpinJehosephat

Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages

JumpinJehosephat

I am having a major headache trying to use the Print Book feature of INDD CS5. I have tried both exporting directly to PDF and printing to PostScript and using Distiller.

Any documents imported into the Book that contain imported PDFs materialize as extremely low-resolution images in the resulting PDF.

If I open the individual INDD files and export or print to PostScript, the result is perfect.

When I do it using Print Book, it is unreadable.

One possible hint: I run Preflight Book, and all the listed documents of the book check out OK, with little green buttons next to them in the panel. But as soon as I click on Print, these green buttons are replaced with dark question marks, as if the Book lost track of the documents' status.

Anybody have any clues about how to proceed?

Exporting the files individually defeats the entire benefit of using the Book feature.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

JumpinJehosephat wrote:

One possible hint: I run Preflight Book, and all the listed documents of the book check out OK, with little green buttons next to them in the panel. But as soon as I click on Print, these green buttons are replaced with dark question marks, as if the Book lost track of the documents' status.

That sure isn't a good sign. When you look at the links panel in the individual docs, are they all OK?

What happens if you export all of the files to .idml, open and save as new .indd files, and add to a new book?

And finally, why are you trying to print to PDF instead of exporting the Book?

• 2. Re: Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages
            JumpinJehosephat Level 1

I am trying anything I can. A lot of the time, going the PostScript route can bypass some issue. This time, it doesn't make a difference.

If a document placed within a Book panel is basically an INDD file with a placed PDF, and I print or export to PDF, that PDF is rendered as a preview image (extremely low-res).

If I export the individual INDD file from within the document itself, it's fine.

Something about the Print Book feature is unable to handle these files.

Am I the first to ever have this problem, or has anybody figured out the solution?

• 3. Re: Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages
              JumpinJehosephat Level 1

Is there any way to set an InDesign setting to tell it that EVERYTHING MUST BE high-res when it prints or exports? It seems to be defaulting to rough.

• 4. Re: Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

JumpinJehosephat wrote:

Something about the Print Book feature is unable to handle these files.

It really seems more likely that something about your setup is causing ID to think the links need to be updated. Suitcase was doing some strange stuff like this no long ago, but I thought it was limited to .psd images. Any third-party plugins?

• 5. Re: Print Book Produces Lo-Res Pages
                  JumpinJehosephat Level 1

Well, after trying everything else, from using the 5.5 version of INDD (which works fine) to eliminate the system as a suspect, to moving all files and links to the local drive and relinking every last graphic, to building a totally new book from these files, nothing worked.

But... I finally just deleted all my cache files and preferences, and rebuilt my print settings, I finally got the files to print from the Book panel in high-res. Yay.

I have no idea which of the preferences were corrupt. I don't know why the program would fail to print or export a linked PDF correctly, regardless of any preference corruption. I only know that it works now, and if it happens again, deleting prefs will be the first step. No preference should cause such a thing, but the word "should" has no place in programming.